Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does Toronto resemble most?
London 1 1.22%
Queens, NY 12 14.63%
Philadelphia 5 6.10%
Buffalo 4 4.88%
Chicago 55 67.07%
Los Angeles 1 1.22%
San Francisco 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,691,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
But it just seemed much smaller and quieter compared to Chicago.
Chicago's downtown impresses more than Toronto's IMO. But the contrast between downtown and the neighborhoods is sharper. Toronto is more like Philly's Center City or Boston in that sense where there is more of a seamless transition into neighborhoods.

As I've said before, Chicago feels like Midtown Manhattan surrounded by Cleveland.

Last edited by King of Kensington; 02-19-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,419,930 times
Quote:
Woah. Not my experience at all. Toronto seems like a smaller city, not very vibrant. I agree it's the alpha city of Canada though. But it just seemed much smaller and quieter compared to Chicago.

Again, it's a compliment to have Toronto compared to Chicago. Take it that way.
yup ... it is ..

Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,148,284 times
Quote:
Woah. Not my experience at all. Toronto seems like a smaller city, not very vibrant. I agree it's the alpha city of Canada though. But it just seemed much smaller and quieter compared to Chicago.

How would you like to substantiate this other than what "seems" to be the case? And fyi, it is a solid alpha world city, in the same league as Chicago, Frankfurt, and the like. Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also a bit perplexed as to which aspect of Toronto is "quieter" than Chicago? Street activity?

And how is it a compliment to compare Toronto with Chicago? It almost sounds somewhat condescending, like "you are lucky to be compared to us but nice try". I mean, the two cities have almost nothing alike except location and maybe skyline. Toronto has much more similarity with the likes of Sydney or Melbourne, especially in culture and urban planning.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,419,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Also a bit perplexed as to which aspect of Toronto is "quieter" than Chicago? Street activity?
Why so perplexed? Compare the tourist activity between the two cities. Even on a cold winter night you will find hundreds of tourists on Michigan Ave or the museum campus in Chicago. Where in Toronto do you see hordes of tourists?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,273,261 times
Quote:

When was the last time you were in Toronto?

I was in Toronto in July of last year and in Chicago in May of the year before. My impression -- Downtown Toronto is at least as (if not more) vibrant as Downtown Chicago. The King Street/Queen Street corridor was hopping late into the night for at least 10 blocks -- busier than any nightlife area in Downtown Chicago. (I know that some of Chicago's most active nightlife areas are away from downtown but still). Young people everywhere. The streetcars add a special charm and European vibe that's very enjoyable.

I still think that Downtown Chicago is more impressive and there is no equivalent to the Magnificent Mile in Toronto (Bloor St is a poor analog), but for overall activity level in and around downtown I would have to give the edge to Toronto based on my last visit to each city (which, admittedly, is limited perspective).

The one caveat is that it was spectacular weather on my visit to Toronto, but unseasonably cold in Chicago (in the 50s). That said, any city that empties out when it gets a little chilly makes me a bit suspicious.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,253,823 times
Chicago has been called the "Most American City" and I tend to agree. It has a better developed Lakefront from its world class Parks to beaches and Harbors.
Unlike some other cities, Chicago preserved its lakefront from industry and for public use. As for downtown, it has evolved through many eras and the decay aspects in the 60s 70s. Even Times Square and parts of Manhattan did in that era. Luckily it was able to have most of its oldest history in buildings preserved and built great examples of newer architecture.
I think comparisons with Toronto comes not from Architecture? But a long stretch of high-rise living along its waterfront as Toronto has evolved.

Chicago downtown and lakefront
Attached Thumbnails
Which city is Toronto most similar to?-chicago-gold-coast-downtown-.jpg   Which city is Toronto most similar to?-chicagos-lakefront.jpg  

Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I'd say that Toronto's older, pre-war areas more resemble various parts of NYC's outer boroughs than they do Chicago's nabes, so I voted for Queens.

LOL at Minneapolis!
Lol is right.

Minneapolis is a little unborn baby compared to Toronto.

Toronto has suburbs larger than Minneapolis.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Pretty Big little sister..

by A Frame studio (www.aframestudio.com)

by Stockaerialphotos.com (www.stockaerialphotos.com)
Nice photos really wanna make it down there some time this year....

I wanna see a Blue Jays game with the roof open.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 PM

929 posts, read 1,889,161 times
To me Toronto is more like a subarctic version of Melbourne sans laneways than anything else- the trams, the long/straight
arterials, the demographics, etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
To me Toronto is more like a subarctic version of Melbourne sans laneways than anything else- the trams, the long/straight
arterials, the demographics, etc.
I sort of see it but honestly Australian cities just aren't that nice looking compared to American/Canadian cities.

Random shots around Melbourne.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.821...ag43haQ0uA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.785...n67HC4-z5g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.775...L0_7R1HZUQ!2e0

Just not that nice looking to me.

Now random shots around Toronto.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6561...JOut-nPHEg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6720...dWdTXFuXSQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6616...3rzs3FjeSQ!2e0

Like most American and Canadian cities Toronto is set up more nicely, clean, more green, nice landscaping, the homes don't have huge fences or hedges in the front yard, the street shops are larger and set up nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World