Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does Toronto resemble most?
London 1 1.22%
Queens, NY 12 14.63%
Philadelphia 5 6.10%
Buffalo 4 4.88%
Chicago 55 67.07%
Los Angeles 1 1.22%
San Francisco 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,766,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I hear what you are saying but I doubt many people travel to TO primarily because it is multicultural. There are plenty of diverse cities all over the world.

If TO's diversity drives tourism in a significant way at all (compared to a place like Chicago) it is because much of its immigration is recent and therefore TO gets tons more visiting friends and relatives.
I wouldn't say on own its really a strong factor in promoting tourism.. Its more of just it is what it is but there are some indirect benefits due to the strong representation of International Carriers coming to Toronto and that the city is Canada's most prominent global hub airport.. I'd say the diversity and growth of the city over the last 50 years has really helped to spur this.. Imagine if Toronto wasn't 50 percent Foreign born and didn't have over 180 different tongues - its hard to imagine the city would have grown and attracted Air Carriers like Ethiopian, PIA, Egyptair, Hainan etc.. Its the same with Montreal - it gets tourism benefit simply by having Carriers like RAM, Qatar and Air Algerie flying to it.. Why do people fly on RAM to Montreal, well its not just for one reason.... Apply that to Toronto but just with more Air Carriers.

I would say an event like the Caribbean festival would definitely help draw in some American visitors both for day and overnight trips. Like any city - especially global one's like Toronto and Chicago, what drives people visiting it runs a spectrum. Some cities aren't that global but drive visitation in droves for more specific reasons such as Orlando and Las Vegas for instance which is mostly for recreational reasons.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2015 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 AM

349 posts, read 486,324 times
Quote:
I hear what you are saying but I doubt many people travel to TO primarily because it is multicultural. There are plenty of diverse cities all over the world.

If TO's diversity drives tourism in a significant way at all (compared to a place like Chicago) it is because much of its immigration is recent and therefore TO gets tons more visiting friends and relatives.
No, I don't think being multicultural is usually a big tourist draw card, but Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world (some even claim the most), and there aren't that many cities like it. Toronto, New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Sydney are like in a class of their own in feeling like 'the world in one city.'

Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I wouldn't say on own its really a strong factor in promoting tourism.. Its more of just it is what it is but there are some indirect benefits due to the strong representation of International Carriers coming to Toronto and that the city is Canada's most prominent global hub airport.. I'd say the diversity and growth of the city over the last 50 years has really helped to spur this.. Imagine if Toronto wasn't 50 percent Foreign born and didn't have over 180 different tongues - its hard to imagine the city would have grown and attracted Air Carriers like Ethiopian, PIA, Egyptair, Hainan etc.. Its the same with Montreal - it gets tourism benefit simply by having Carriers like RAM, Qatar and Air Algerie flying to it.. Why do people fly on RAM to Montreal, well its not just for one reason.... Apply that to Toronto but just with more Air Carriers.

I would say an event like the Caribbean festival would definitely help draw in some American visitors both for day and overnight trips. Like any city - especially global one's like Toronto and Chicago, what drives people visiting it runs a spectrum. Some cities aren't that global but drive visitation in droves for more specific reasons such as Orlando and Las Vegas for instance which is mostly for recreational reasons.

In the case of Caribana while it is true that it is an élément of the city's diversity, it is Caribana that is the star attraction. Not Toronto's diversity in and of itself. Toronto would not need huge Arab or Chinese communities in order to have an awesome Caribana.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
No, I don't think being multicultural is usually a big tourist draw card, but Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world (some even claim the most), and there aren't that many cities like it. Toronto, New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Sydney are like in a class of their own in feeling like 'the world in one city.'
It's not everywhere but the world in one city is becoming increasingly common. It is already less spécial à characteristic than it was not that long ago.

And in the case of Toronto it is half à day's drive from the place that invented the concept à century or so ago.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
In the case of Caribana while it is true that it is an élément of the city's diversity, it is Caribana that is the star attraction. Not Toronto's diversity in and of itself. Toronto would not need huge Arab or Chinese communities in order to have an awesome Caribana.
Well of course and that is what I was referring to in my post which is essentially if Toronto didn't develop into a strong multicultural city it wouldn't have something like a Caribana...

They changed the name btw and its no longer Caribana - its the Scotiabank Toronto Caribbean Carnival - they should have just left is as Caribana.... Everyone still calls it that! Its the same thing with Roger's Centre - everyone still calls it or wants to call it Skydome...

Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:

And in the case of Toronto it is half à day's drive from the place that invented the concept à century or so ago.
LOL it invented the concept - C'mon Acajack..... There have been no other cities of note in history that were bastions of multiculturalism/diversity - i'm speechless... I like NYC too but holy moly are you ever effusive.... Do you sing that Sinatra tune every night before you go to bed.... Anyway it is a diverse and amazing city no doubt but it doesn't own diverse or amazing right..... lol

Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well of course and that is what I was referring to in my post which is essentially if Toronto didn't develop into a strong multicultural city it wouldn't have something like a Caribana...

They changed the name btw and its no longer Caribana - its the Scotiabank Toronto Caribbean Carnival - they should have just left is as Caribana.... Everyone still calls it that! Its the same thing with Roger's Centre - everyone still calls it or wants to call it Skydome...
My point is that it is entirely possible that TO could have developed Caribana even if its population had been only White English Canadians with a minority of Caribbeans and no other origins in the city.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
My point is that it is entirely possible that TO could have developed Caribana even if its population had been only White English Canadians with a minority of Caribbeans and no other origins in the city.
Yes it is possible but its more probable that Toronto's various ethnicities will play a role in attracting tourism/visitation to the city both directly and indirectly....

Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 PM

349 posts, read 486,324 times
Quote:
It's not everywhere but the world in one city is becoming increasingly common. It is already less spécial à characteristic than it was not that long ago.

Yes, but only a few countries in the world are really what I'd call immigrant nations: where the original native population was displaced and most residents are now 'foreigners.'

At the moment I'd say the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the UAE would be the only true immigrant nations.

NYC probably edges out Toronto in nationalities represented, but Toronto is more foreign born. Sydney and Auckland are also about 40% foreign born. But the 39% for Sydney is the entire metro while Toronto's 50% is just the city.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Yes, but only a few countries in the world are really what I'd call immigrant nations: where the original native population was displaced and most residents are now 'foreigners.'

At the moment I'd say the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the UAE would be the only true immigrant nations.

NYC probably edges out Toronto in nationalities represented, but Toronto is more foreign born. Sydney and Auckland are also about 40% foreign born. But the 39% for Sydney is the entire metro while Toronto's 50% is just the city.
What do you mean by original native population? This is a bit hard to follow.

Do you mean aboriginals? If so, then there are many countries where these native populations have been displaced and outnumbered.

Or do you mean white (mostly anglo) people? If so, I would argue they are not being displaced at all in places like Toronto, NYC and Sydney. They may be outnumbered (and even then...) but they are not losing their hold on power and wealth by any means.

Note that in order to achieve high levels (or even acceptable levels) of power and wealth, those of other origins (non-white, non-anglo) generally have to conform to the ways and culture of the established power base.

This is not at all the same as what happened to aboriginal people in the new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World