Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does Toronto resemble most?
London 1 1.22%
Queens, NY 12 14.63%
Philadelphia 5 6.10%
Buffalo 4 4.88%
Chicago 55 67.07%
Los Angeles 1 1.22%
San Francisco 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM

349 posts, read 486,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What do you mean by original native population? This is a bit hard to follow.

Do you mean aboriginals? If so, then there are many countries where these native populations have been displaced and outnumbered.

Or do you mean white (mostly anglo) people? If so, I would argue they are not being displaced at all in places like Toronto, NYC and Sydney. They may be outnumbered (and even then...) but they are not losing their hold on power and wealth by any means.

Note that in order to achieve high levels (or even acceptable levels) of power and wealth, those of other origins (non-white, non-anglo) generally have to conform to the ways and culture of the established power base.

This is not at all the same as what happened to aboriginal people in the new world.

No I mean the native aborigines/indigenous people like the Australian aborigines, native Americans, Maori.etc. The UAE is a bit different since Emirati Arabs make up a minority but most of the population are South Asian labourers.

I'm aware people have been displaced in the past, but that usually happened a long time ago, and the people living there are now considered more or less 'native'.

Well I mean even the 'white people' in Australia and Canada have only lived there for barely more than 200 years in Australia, and for most Canadians the same. Half of all Australians have a foreign born or more grandparent, and a third a foreign born parent. A quarter were born outside Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:30 PM

26,785 posts, read 37,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
No I mean the native aborigines/indigenous people like the Australian aborigines, native Americans, Maori.etc. The UAE is a bit different since Emirati Arabs make up a minority but most of the population are South Asian labourers.

I'm aware people have been displaced in the past, but that usually happened a long time ago, and the people living there are now considered more or less 'native'.

Well I mean even the 'white people' in Australia and Canada have only lived there for barely more than 200 years in Australia, and for most Canadians the same. Half of all Australians have a foreign born or more grandparent, and a third a foreign born parent. A quarter were born outside Australia.
OK sure, but none of this is really related to present-day multiculturalism and diversity in Toronto.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 PM

349 posts, read 486,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK sure, but none of this is really related to present-day multiculturalism and diversity in Toronto.
Well my original point is cities like Toronto or Sydney are kind of unique in just how diverse they are. The 'base culture' has been almost all but extirpated. What remains of aboriginal culture in today's Australian culture is pretty tokenistic.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
. The 'base culture' has been almost all but extirpated. What remains of aboriginal culture in today's Australian culture is pretty tokenistic.
Well, in the case of Toronto at least aboriginal people passed through there from time to time and were in the vicinity but it's not like there was any type of large or even largish established settlement like Tecnochtitlan (Mexico City) that was conquered and then the British city was built on top of it.

Most of Canada's main cities were arguably built on virgin territory and there was no permanent aboriginal settlement there before the Europeans started building towns. Even though aboriginals were sometimes in the vicinity (for quite some time) and had in many cases given names to locations or natural features.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Well my original point is cities like Toronto or Sydney are kind of unique in just how diverse they are..
Yes, but on a practical, contemporary level what happened with the aboriginals (even if it was bad) has very little influence on their evolution and in this sense they aren't really much different from Paris or London...

Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM

150 posts, read 213,819 times
First it must be established that Toronto is it's own city. It's as unique as any city on that list.

If we are talking about the GTA excluding the actual city proper of Toronto (as stupid as it sounds), then of the cities on that list, Queens most resembles the outskirts of the GTA. I don't really know how you could compare Queens to the actual city proper of Toronto, though. Toronto is way more vibrant, and has an actual core and downtown. Manhattan steals all these things from Queens.

In terms of energy, vibrancy, and economy, Toronto is most like Chicago. They are financially relevant on a global scale, but in tiers beneath New York, London, and Tokyo. They also each have universities that often get ranked in the top 20-25 universities in the world right in their downtown cores.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
NYC probably edges out Toronto in nationalities represented, but Toronto is more foreign born. Sydney and Auckland are also about 40% foreign born. But the 39% for Sydney is the entire metro while Toronto's 50% is just the city.
Toronto's entire metro is also 46% foreign-born.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 AM

45 posts, read 56,801 times
Why isn't Sydney or Melbourne in the poll options? I'd vote for either of them. Anywhere in North America is bound to be similar, so that's not a fair enough competition. London is not even remotely like TO, so I'd eliminate that.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 AM

231 posts, read 331,413 times
Very similar feel to melbourne for sure.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,229,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
First it must be established that Toronto is it's own city. It's as unique as any city on that list.

If we are talking about the GTA excluding the actual city proper of Toronto (as stupid as it sounds), then of the cities on that list, Queens most resembles the outskirts of the GTA. I don't really know how you could compare Queens to the actual city proper of Toronto, though. Toronto is way more vibrant, and has an actual core and downtown. Manhattan steals all these things from Queens.

In terms of energy, vibrancy, and economy, Toronto is most like Chicago. They are financially relevant on a global scale, but in tiers beneath New York, London, and Tokyo. They also each have universities that often get ranked in the top 20-25 universities in the world right in their downtown cores.

Queens isn't anything like the outskirts of the GTA, it's more like the old city of Toronto (excluding the downtown core), and parts of the 416 boroughs (such as York, East York, and the older parts of North York and Etobicoke).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World