Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does Toronto resemble most?
London 1 1.22%
Queens, NY 12 14.63%
Philadelphia 5 6.10%
Buffalo 4 4.88%
Chicago 55 67.07%
Los Angeles 1 1.22%
San Francisco 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,754,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Looks pretty even to me.

Tallest inhabited building:

Toronto - 298 meters
Melbourne - 297.3 meters

Number of buildings over 150m:

Toronto - 31
Melbourne - 27

List of tallest buildings in Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of tallest buildings in Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you look at the very link you provided for Toronto - actually count the number of buildings over 150 m... its now at 44... Goes to show how rapidly Toronto is constructing scrapers! That number will shoot up to 60 in the next year or two. Plus T.O has a plethora of 100-149 m buildings

Even its top 10 skew taller than Melbourne - that's not even counting the CN Tower at 553 m

Last edited by fusion2; 09-01-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I meant to say Victorian neighborhoods rather than "rowhouse neighborhoods" because though there are rowhouses, semi-detached is probably more common overall even in the pre-WWI neighborhoods. What do these areas resemble?
You did a great job compiling all those google links!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,514,126 times
At least in terms of urbanism, according to what I saw in the Google Street View, Toronto is very similar to Chicago.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,700,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
At least in terms of urbanism, according to what I saw in the Google Street View, Toronto is very similar to Chicago.
Any parts of Chicago in particular?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,700,625 times
Some pics from the east end, east of the Don River.

Toronto's second Chinatown:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...2ce97e!6m1!1e1

Gerard St. India Bazaar:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6721...Sw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Along the Danforth:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6804...Lw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Further out on the Danforth which has emerged as the city's "Little Bangladesh":

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6883...SS5s9v4yhg!2e0

Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,734,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you look at the very link you provided for Toronto - actually count the number of buildings over 150 m... its now at 44... Goes to show how rapidly Toronto is constructing scrapers! That number will shoot up to 60 in the next year or two. Plus T.O has a plethora of 100-149 m buildings

Even its top 10 skew taller than Melbourne - that's not even counting the CN Tower at 553 m
For Melbourne as at August: 10 buildings over 150m under construction, a further 15 approved and waiting to build, and another 15 in the approval process.

CN Tower - that's like Sydney's Sydney tower, despite it hight (309m) it doesn't really impact on the skyline that much, and more of a structure than a building.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
For Melbourne as at August: 10 buildings over 150m under construction, a further 15 approved and waiting to build, and another 15 in the approval process.

CN Tower - that's like Sydney's Sydney tower, despite it hight (309m) it doesn't really impact on the skyline that much, and more of a structure than a building.
Hey i'm happy about Melbourne's skyscraper boom - really it just adds another parallel to Toronto and it has a great skyline that doesn't need to make any apologies - but facts are facts:

Right now Toronto has 44 buildings over 150m vs Melbourne's 28 and T.O has more U/C so it won't be catching Toronto anytime soon for scraper development.. If you look at the list you provided you'd see that. As for approved and proposed, they both look to have a lot of tall project coming down the pipe. In either city we have to take proposed and approved buildings with a bit of a grain of salt until they are U/C many things can change.

Toronto overall has 2500 highrise buildings and Melbourne has 555 (admittedly, Toronto has many many buildings dotted throughout the city not just in the DT core - not sure how pervasive this is in Melbourne but clearly not to the same degree based on the number T.O has in comparison).. As a matter of fact, few cities anywhere can compete with T.O on a per capita/highrise basis - some Asian and S.A cities and NYC - thats it.

List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto's top 10 and top 28 buildings for that matter all skew higher than Melbourne's and that doesn't include the CN Tower - albeit Toronto's don't skew that much higher - generally about 10- 20 metres taller.

The CN Tower is by far the most prominent part of the T.O Skyline.. It is a substantive freestanding 553 metre structure - how you can conclude it doesn't impact a skyline is beyond me. So I think Acajack's observation was correct.. At least for the next 5-10 years.

Trust me, I had to dot my i's and cross my t's with this post because Melbourne has surprised me in terms of number of skyscrapers and height - plus where the wind is blowing it looks very promising for that city.. In either case both of these cities are true skyscraper cities in the anglo world!

Last edited by fusion2; 09-01-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,114,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I don't actually see the Montreal/Philadelphia parallel. Montreal is more of an apartment city and Philly is a rowhouse Victorian city. I think an area like West Philadelphia resembles 19th century Toronto neighborhoods than Montreal ones.
Here's my take on the Montreal/Philly parallel: both cities have a well-defined historical centre, an edgy vibrant retail street (Sainte-Catherine/South St), seemingly endless lower middle class neighborhoods built on a grid, and a relative decline in importance vs., say, 100 years ago. None of those preclude a Toronto/Philly comparison but that's where the Montreal/Philly parallel comes from.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM

6,331 posts, read 11,880,185 times
Why just Queens? I think Toronto is similar to NYC as a whole, just smaller of course. It also looks like Sydney, size and skyline wise.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 PM

36,959 posts, read 38,958,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey i'm happy about Melbourne's skyscraper boom - really it just adds another parallel to Toronto and it has a great skyline that doesn't need to make any apologies - but facts are facts:

Right now Toronto has 44 buildings over 150m vs Melbourne's 28 and T.O has more U/C so it won't be catching Toronto anytime soon for scraper development.. If you look at the list you provided you'd see that. As for approved and proposed, they both look to have a lot of tall project coming down the pipe. In either city we have to take proposed and approved buildings with a bit of a grain of salt until they are U/C many things can change.

Toronto overall has 2500 highrise buildings and Melbourne has 555 (admittedly, Toronto has many many buildings dotted throughout the city not just in the DT core - not sure how pervasive this is in Melbourne but clearly not to the same degree based on the number T.O has in comparison).. As a matter of fact, few cities anywhere can compete with T.O on a per capita/highrise basis - some Asian and S.A cities and NYC - thats it.

List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto's top 10 and top 28 buildings for that matter all skew higher than Melbourne's and that doesn't include the CN Tower - albeit Toronto's don't skew that much higher - generally about 10- 20 metres taller.

The CN Tower is by far the most prominent part of the T.O Skyline.. It is a substantive freestanding 553 metre structure - how you can conclude it doesn't impact a skyline is beyond me. So I think Acajack's observation was correct.. At least for the next 5-10 years.

Trust me, I had to dot my i's and cross my t's with this post because Melbourne has surprised me in terms of number of skyscrapers and height - plus where the wind is blowing it looks very promising for that city.. In either case both of these cities are true skyscraper cities in the anglo world!
Wouldn't you want to get rid of the per capita part of the comparison for Toronto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World