Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does Toronto resemble most?
London 1 1.22%
Queens, NY 12 14.63%
Philadelphia 5 6.10%
Buffalo 4 4.88%
Chicago 55 67.07%
Los Angeles 1 1.22%
San Francisco 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 AM

3,428 posts, read 6,285,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sunday morning at Dundas Square - yeah everyone is probably in bed recoving from a Saturday night... Dundas Square is actually quite busy most of the time - you probably know that if you were actually familiar with it or weren't being disingenuous. I don't think anyone from Toronto would say it is as busy or grand as Times Square - nobody made the claim but if there is a Minneapolis equivalent i'd be interested in seeing it..
Toronto's modern architecture is very similar to Minneapolis. Dundas Square would the much bigger city version of Hennepin Avenue(Block E) in Minneapolis.

First I saw Rogers Centre, it reminded me of the Metrodome, the old indoor stadium for the Minnesota Twins.

Even culturally, Toronto reminded me a lot of Minneapolis, both cities are frigid cold and both cities love ice hockey.

Anybody who thinks Toronto is similar to Buffalo, you must be out of your mind! Buffalo is a depressing craphole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:18 AM

26,759 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I was going to say this or Sydney. I've never been to either, but I remember someone posted many photos, and they had that kind of busy, glassy aesthetic to it. Especially along the waterfront. And I would guess a similar level of diversity.
Sydney is more glassy and modern than Toronto and Melbourne. It's got more of a "Pacific Rim'' metropolis vibe and look to it. More like an overgrown Vancouver.

Toronto and Melbourne have more of a balance between old-school architecture and feel and shiny new glassy and steel buildings. For example, Melbourne has many more stately brick and stone buildings than Sydney does. This is similar to Toronto.

Also, Melbourne has a cooler climate that Sydney, which is basically subtropical. Of course, Melbourne isn't nearly as cold as Toronto but the cooler climate in Melbourne does have an effect on how the city appears and is built and landscaped, and brings with it a greater alternation or demarcation between summer and winter dress, a need for heavier jackets and clothes, etc. This is not so much the case in Sydney.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 PM

2,528 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Toronto's modern architecture is very similar to Minneapolis. Dundas Square would the much bigger city version of Hennepin Avenue(Block E) in Minneapolis.

First I saw Rogers Centre, it reminded me of the Metrodome, the old indoor stadium for the Minnesota Twins.

Even culturally, Toronto reminded me a lot of Minneapolis, both cities are frigid cold and both cities love ice hockey.

Anybody who thinks Toronto is similar to Buffalo, you must be out of your mind! Buffalo is a depressing craphole
I have a friend who moved here from Toronto. He noted the similarities, also pointing out that Toronto seemed to him like a larger-scale Minneapolis. I suspect that if you found the median in urban scale between Toronto and Winnipeg, you'd petty much have Minneapolis.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,692,715 times
Yeah, I can see the Minneapolis comparison - the modern skyscrapers, weather and interest in hockey, lots of middle class white people and hipsters, though obviously downtown Toronto is a lot bigger and denser. I'm not that familiar with the residential neighborhoods of Minneapolis though (or with St. Paul, which apparently has a more "eastern" look), but I believe they don't they resemble each other much.

Last edited by King of Kensington; 09-02-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 AM

14,772 posts, read 17,035,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sydney is more glassy and modern than Toronto and Melbourne. It's got more of a "Pacific Rim'' metropolis vibe and look to it. More like an overgrown Vancouver.

Toronto and Melbourne have more of a balance between old-school architecture and feel and shiny new glassy and steel buildings. For example, Melbourne has many more stately brick and stone buildings than Sydney does. This is similar to Toronto.

Also, Melbourne has a cooler climate that Sydney, which is basically subtropical. Of course, Melbourne isn't nearly as cold as Toronto but the cooler climate in Melbourne does have an effect on how the city appears and is built and landscaped, and brings with it a greater alternation or demarcation between summer and winter dress, a need for heavier jackets and clothes, etc. This is not so much the case in Sydney.
That's the way I like it too.
I don't want Melbourne to be sky scraper central
It will lose its charm

Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,692,715 times
Toronto housing stock: 26% live in detached houses (12% in the old city), 13% live in semi or rowhouses, 61% in apartments (75% in the old city), 41% in 5+ storey buildings (47% in the old city). In other words, the SFHs in the old city aresplit 50/50 between detached and semi-detached/row.

How does this compare to the other places in question?

Last edited by King of Kensington; 09-03-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,254,972 times
Why the fight over numbers of skyscrapers? It is taking the thread off topic? Though seems it has been decided which city the thread voters see fits to match with Toronto? Surely Melbourne seems like a very fair match too. But it wasn't on the list. I sure can see it. I think we all got the message. Toronto, the original poster wants us all to know is a boomtown for skyscrapers.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 AM

987 posts, read 1,303,601 times
I certainly don't think of any of those cities when I think Toronto, not even slightly.

I've heard of the comparison with Melbourne due to being very multi-cultural, large theatre scene but even that is pushing it. Melbourne is FAR less heavily populated than Toronto. Melbourne is far more spread out and suburban in lifestyle. Toronto is also the complete financial capitol of the country and by far the nation's largest. Toronto also has complete domination in English Canada in terms of political power, media concentration, economic strength, cultural institutions, shopping, dining, the arts, finance, manufacturing, human capitol, banking, airport traffic, and international recognition.

Melbourne competes with Sydney is most those things being better in some categories and less in others.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:01 AM

36,903 posts, read 38,810,969 times
The Twin Cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) does seem like the best comparison overall despite being smaller.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Twin Cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) does seem like the best comparison overall despite being smaller.
Not a comparison I woud have thought of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World