Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM

428 posts, read 641,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
That's a shame because it's quite beautiful. A drive down the Hudson River valley is a trip I'd recommend to anyone.

What's missing in New York state are any cities or towns worthy a visit apart from the big apple.
Really?
Have you never visited Greenport or Shelter Island? Rhinebeck?
There are a ton of sweet towns and small cities in New York State, and those are only three I can name right off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM

27,356 posts, read 28,426,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Let's be honest folks. Even people in America can act as if NY state doesn't exist. In most people's minds. When people say NY, they automatically assume the city.
That is not as much true if you live on the east coast. I am a Marylander but I've stayed in upstate New York quite a lot - probably as much as Pennsylvania now that I think about it.

New York is after all the largest state in the northeast. Therefore, life will often take you there for various reasons - whether it's for meeting up with relatives, checking out universities, visiting attractions or going to Canada, etc.

Still, it is true that I've been in New York City and north Jersey countless more times than in upstate New York. :-)

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Upstate New York is interesting. Beautiful mountains like the Catskills, the Adirondacks, a great ski resort called Whiteface and for those who remember, Lake Placid, home of the 1980 Winter Olympics.

Some parts of Upstate New York are very rural, almost as rural as the South and the Midwest. I am not a big fan of urban areas in Upstate because many of them are depressing, decaying cities.

Buffalo, Troy, Syracuse and Rochester are horrible places.
I can attest that Rochester is actually a pretty nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World