Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is the most non-sensical post I have ever read. If a BMW 328i costs on average 38K in the USA and 46K in the Netherlands, How the hell can used cars be more expensive here in the USA? Depreciation is about 10% as you drive it off the lot.
Depreciation in the US is higher than Europe. A friend from the UK found that used car prices were higher than back home; there's more of a market for used cars, while the average new car sold is a somewhat cheaper model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Europe has relatively more smaller cheaper cars so when looking at used cars there are more of those to choose from. The 328i is very rarely seen here, people generally buy the 318d or 320d so your comparison makes no sense in addition to neglecting all the fees and taxes you pay in the US.
except are those any cheaper?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:32 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,661,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Definitely. At least here in Finland bigger engines, more hp and co2 emissions always cost more than smaller. The 320 costs €40k/$51,800, $13k less than the 328.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Hmm. Here it's marketed as the slightly fancier? 328d:

2014 BMW 328d Diesel Sedan First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

American car magazines seem to love diesels, but american car buyers often don't.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:50 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,898,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It depends, prices vary throughout Europe too and so do configurations of specific cars... Germany is the largest market for cars, I find the BMW 3 series priced from €26.000 there incl. sales tax(VAT) so about €22.000 excluding sales tax. Which is about $28.000 excluding sales tax(VAT).

In addition, expensive cars like BMW's mostly get bought/leased by companies who get the VAT refunded and nobody pays the manufacturer listing price but negotiates a better deal. Discounts can be as much as 20 - 30%.

Prices are significantly higher over here in the Netherlands because of emission taxes on vehicles. Then again, the electric Nissan Leaf gets advertised at something like €7500 new over here all the time on tv because of stimulation measures for electric cars.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:30 PM

1,880 posts, read 1,817,746 times
i wonder what the price of the same BMW car would be in asia countries like Japan, Korea and China ?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,249,413 times
BMW328i ex sales tax, ex CO2 taxes: € 32.375,- or $ 43.765,-

Quote:
Europe has relatively more smaller cheaper cars so when looking at used cars there are more of those to choose from. The 328i is very rarely seen here, people generally buy the 318d or 320d so your comparison makes no sense in addition to neglecting all the fees and taxes you pay in the US.
Well, since they don't have small cars overthere (usa) that's no fair comparison as well. I don't know what you were looking for in the states but our small cars like Volkswagen or Opel would probably cost twice as much overthere, second hand i mean.

Lets compare a second hand car that's popular on both sides. Jeeps are popular in both Europe and the US. When i drive to work i allways see a lot of Grand Cherokees, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriots etc.
I drive a Jeep Liberty KJ 3.7 V6 from 2003. When i bought it earlyer this year, it had 129000 km on it, or 80000 miles.
I payed € 6000,- for it, or $ 8100,-. This is including 21% sales tax.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,898,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Well, since they don't have small cars overthere (usa) that's no fair comparison as well. I don't know what you were looking for in the states but our small cars like Volkswagen or Opel would probably cost twice as much overthere, second hand i mean.
Obviously not at BMW's. Any decent car get from A to B will do. I looked at cars like Ford Focus(which is a different model than the European focus, BTW) and second hand cars with high mileage will go nearly for the new price in the US. I assume this is the case because after the economic meltdown there are many people who can't finance new cars because of bad credit/job loss that they are forced into buying second hand cars. This will drive up the prices for second hand cars.

Over here you can find a decent, well maintained car for €6000 - 8000. In the US, we couldn't find anything decent for less than $15.000, excluding sales tax and other strange dealer fees at places like Carmax or official dealers. Cars priced below $8000 in the US at suspicious car lots are mostly wrecks that won't even start.

Car prices are a ripoff in the US. I know many Europeans still believe in the 'everything is cheaper in the US' myth but nothing is further from the truth, actually everything is much more expensive. Jeeps are not popular here in the Netherlands btw, although SUV's in general still seem to gain popularity.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:39 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,249,413 times
Quote:
Obviously not at BMW's. Any decent car get from A to B will do. I looked at cars like Ford Focus(which is a different model than the European focus, BTW) and second hand cars with high mileage will go nearly for the new price in the US. I assume this is the case because after the economic meltdown there are many people who can't finance new cars because of bad credit/job loss that they are forced into buying second hand cars. This will drive up the prices for second hand cars.

Over here you can find a decent, well maintained car for €6000 - 8000. In the US, we couldn't find anything decent for less than $15.000, excluding sales tax and other strange dealer fees at places like Carmax or official dealers. Cars priced below $8000 in the US at suspicious car lots are mostly wrecks that won't even start.

Car prices are a ripoff in the US. I know many Europeans still believe in the 'everything is cheaper in the US' myth but nothing is further from the truth, actually everything is much more expensive. Jeeps are not popular here in the Netherlands btw, although SUV's in general still seem to gain popularity.

Ofcourse Jeep hasn't the same popularity overhere as Volkswagen, Opel etc but still a lot of people here drive 'em. And from what i know in the US its more Chevy and Dodge. So since you're picking on words lets say the Jeep enjoys the same kind of popularity on both sides. On both sides not the MOST populair but still a lot of people drive 'em.

And i do know the "everything's cheaper in the us" is a myth.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 AM

3,428 posts, read 6,286,973 times
Quote:
I have never read so much nonsense in my life before. I have purchased more than a few cars from dealerships in fair condition between $2000-$4000. Last month, My ex-girlfriend purchased a 2004 Toyota Sienna in almost perfect condition for $7000.

Just to prove you wrong, I did a search here in my area- zip code 50014. George White Chevrolet has a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt for $1,850 and it is not a "suspicious car" since we have lemon laws here- a dealership with more than 50 years in business is not going to risk its reputation and sell you a car that won't start. That is against the law!

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-07-2014 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World