Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How politically correct are people in your country?
To a fault 30 68.18%
Not at all 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,487,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't see any need. Why should it be the law's business to police offensiveness? Seems dangerous to have the government be a speech police.
I don't know - I guess it depends on the scenario. If you went around campaigning against black people, then understandably you would be arrested for inciting hatred. If one person said something racist to another person, then I guess it's not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,247,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't know - I guess it depends on the scenario. If you went around campaigning against black people, then understandably you would be arrested for inciting hatred. If one person said something racist to another person, then I guess it's not too bad.
Why would that be understandable? If it were inciting violence, otherwise don't know why that being a jerk is arrestable.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,076,027 times
USA: one of the most politically correct people on earth, especially in California.

Mexico: not politically correct at all.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:27 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,937,557 times
I think Americans are very politically correct though probably not as bad as a decade or two ago. I'm very much against hate but I also think people have the right to speak their mind and make offensive jokes. Of course people also have the right to say they're offended.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,291,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think Americans are very politically correct though probably not as bad as a decade or two ago. I'm very much against hate but I also think people have the right to speak their mind and make offensive jokes. Of course people also have the right to say they're offended.
Wrong! The more Liberal a person is, the more PC. Mississippi and Oklahoma are probably the least PC states in the USA and some of the most Conservative states in the USA. California and New York state are two of the most PC states in the USA and overall, very Liberal.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,487,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why would that be understandable? If it were inciting violence, otherwise don't know why that being a jerk is arrestable.
Swearing in public is an arrestable offence, let alone spouting hateful garbage - but I suspect it depends on the severity. Going around chanting 'Blacks should die' or 'Gays are going to hell' is kind of pushing the boundaries of just 'being a jerk'. The Westboro Baptist Church were denied entry in the UK precisely because they intended to incite hatred. If that's fine by you then whatever, but it isn't fine by us. I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over such people being denied the right to say whatever they want.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,770,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
USA: one of the most politically correct people on earth, especially in California.

Mexico: not politically correct at all.
Memin Pinguin?

Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,687,030 times
People speak their mind but in friendly manner. There are different type of people some with better manners and some with no manners.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,927,154 times
The harbingers of political correctness have been different people/groups during different times in the U.S. The underdogs are usually the ones who don't like it, be them on the political left or right.

There are some topics, however, that have received ever-broadening PC guidelines for at least the last four decades, those being race and gender, and now sexual orientation to an arguably lesser extent. The story is pretty similar elsewhere in the West, but from my civil libertarian perspective (not to be mistaken for Libertarian), I'm pleased that even blatantly racist, sexist and homophobic public speech doesn't carry a jail sentence here.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,076,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Memin Pinguin?

Americans and their stupid political correctness.....

Memín Pinguín - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it offensive that Americans are so condescending with things relating to Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World