Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,474,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I wouldn't do either.

Where is this money coming from any way? If I had courses to do, I'd stay home renting a small apartment, eat romin noodles, and put my nose to the grind stone instead of being some nomad. Then, and only when I'm in a position to do so, will I go out and travel to these places.
It's hypothetical for a reason. Let's pretend you a) had $12,000 in savings or b)a job that provided that income and allowed you to work off-base.

If one were to stay in North America, the cost of living and day to day expenses would be too much for you to just rent a small apartment and 'put my nose to the grind'. You would probably have to pick up a job as well. I doubt that would include enough money for even an occasional beer or two with buddies on a weekend, or going out for dinner or movies etc. I figure that $1000/month will go a lot further in a year in Asia or South America than it will anywhere in the U.S. or Canada .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,355,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It's hypothetical for a reason. Let's pretend you a) had $12,000 in savings or b)a job that provided that income and allowed you to work off-base.
I missed the hypothetical part. lol

I would pick Asia then, for the same reasons Jesse mentioned.

Quote:
If one were to stay in North America, the cost of living and day to day expenses would be too much for you to just rent a small apartment and 'put my nose to the grind'. You would probably have to pick up a job as well. I doubt that would include enough money for even an occasional beer or two with buddies on a weekend, or going out for dinner or movies etc. I figure that $1000/month will go a lot further in a year in Asia or South America than it will anywhere in the U.S. or Canada .

Well, not where I live. I used to make $1000 per month. I rented a small bachelor apartment for $350 p/month and only paid electricity. I bought a used car for $600 and was able to make most repairs on my own. I also brewed my own beer (6 cases for $120 bucks). If I went out for beers I went on cheap pitcher nights, and don't care to pay $20 to see a movie.

I know, I know. I'm just sayin.

I agree though. A grand would go a lot further in Asia.

For example, $1,000 Canadian is worth $2,103 Brazilian, but $6,997 in Hong Kong.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,438,199 times
Asia, More specifically South Asia (Indian,Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc).

Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,509,000 times
Quote:
Is southeast Asia really that much cleaner than South America? I've yet to go to either...I know cities in Brazil tend to be surrounded by favelas/slums, but is that the norm....
I haven't been to SE Asia actually, but I know that it is a lot more touristy and has more infrastructure. I've been told from pretty reliable sources who have travelled both regions that it is tidier in SE Asia.

There are slums outside bigger cities in Latin America. I have personally seen some outside of Mexico City, and lots of people living in corrugated steel shacks in Nicaragua's rural parts. It doesn't mean danger, just be respectful driving through, and don't intentionally walk inside any of them and you'll be just fine. That being said, you'll find it even worse in India and Bangladesh. Not so sure about Nepal and Sri Lanka, though. Just know that South Asia is probably the dirtiest and most crowded corner of Earth and it seems to be the only exception to Asia being generally more navigable.

I've been to India and I absolutely loved it in spite of all the poverty and difficulties getting around.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM

338 posts, read 333,200 times
Asia, I want to get as far away from the west as possible.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:08 AM

36,931 posts, read 38,901,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
$1000 per month is not enough for a Westener in Bangkok.
You mean trying to live like a westerner where you try to have your own car instead of use transit and insist on eating western food most of the time, then yea. If you live somewhere and do (mostly) as the locals do, then it's ample.

Quote:

Sorry, the timeline would be a year. I figured if someone were travelling between countries though, it would have to be at least a month or two stay at a country to consider renting at a place. Or would someone be better off just staying long term in hostels since they tend to already be connected/wired to the internet?

How would you say Taiwan compares to Thailand? I had friends who went to Taiwan, and they said everything there was SUPER cheap and way affordable, especially compared to Japan.
Taiwan is great, but it is certainly not cheaper and more affordable overall than Thailand is. Yea, Taipei is cheaper than Tokyo and Osaka, but it's not too far off compared to other parts of Japan. You do get more first world country sort of amenities for the greater price and you can probably wing better wages compared to Thailand for doing stuff like teaching English.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:07 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,192,469 times
No I wouldn't. I'm not interested in Asia.

$1000 isn't very much money, for me a flight to Asia or South America would cost more than that.
I wouldn't be able to get there.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,192,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This would make more sense if the timeline was longer than a month or two since the cost of plane tickets themselves can eat up over 1K.

That being said, I'd probably say some major city in Thailand given your premises because the costs of living compared to the quality of life can be pretty great there, there's already amenities catered towards foreigners so finding a place to live isn't too difficult (and there's a large expat community online that can help you in your search) and the internet speeds and reliability in the big cities is pretty decent.
Exactly.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
Thailand would be tough to beat.. Probably a safer option than most any S.A location.

1000 Bucks a month (USD i'm assuming) looks more than doable even in Bangkok.. Most Thai's subsist on much much less than that! Street food is super super cheap as are clothes.. I think the key is you'd need to adopt a more local mentality in terms of spending and learn the ins and outs on where to shop.. Here's a good article on cost of rent in BKK.

How to Rent Cheap Apartments in Bangkok, Thailand

No kitchen in a studio - No big deal... I can't imagine anyone cooking in Thailand where there is street food and small mom and pop restaurants everywhere!

I'd imagine Chiang Mai would be even cheaper than Bangkok.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM

10,614 posts, read 15,932,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
1.1000 Bucks a month (USD i'm assuming) looks more than doable even in Bangkok..

2.Most Thai's subsist on much much less than that!

3.Street food is super super cheap as are clothes..

4.I'd imagine Chiang Mai would be even cheaper than Bangkok.
1.More than doable? depending on your standards, maybe in 2004.

2.Thai's are Southeast Asians, not Westeners.

3.Most Westeners can't eat street food for 365 days per year, quality clothing from malls/outlets are not super cheap but still 30-50% cheaper than in the Netherlands.

4.Outside the city of Chiang Mai for sure, inside of it i don't think there is a difference, many restaurants and night markets were more expensive than in Bangkok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World