Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,987,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Those two countries also have the highest rate of suicide among young people.
Not even close.

Suicide numbers and rates per 100,000 young persons aged 15-19

Sri Lanka 46.5
Lithuania 23.9
Russian Federation 23.6
Kazakhstan 21.0
Luxembourg 16.0
New Zealand 15.3
El Salvador 14.5
Belarus 14.0
Estonia 13.2
Turkmenistan 12.8
Ukraine 12.4
Ireland 12.3
Mauritius 11.3
Norway 10.9
Canada 10.8
Latvia 10.8
Kyrgyzstan 10.0
Virgin Islands (USA) 9.8
Barbados 9.7
Austria 9.6
Trinidad and Tobago 9.6
Finland 9.5
Uzbekistan 9.5
Belgium 9.3
Cuba 9.2
Ecuador 9.1
Iceland 9.1
Australia 8.9
Singapore 8.5
Suriname 8.5
Poland 8.4
Switzerland 8.4
Croatia 8.2
USA 8.0
Grenada 7.8
Slovenia 7.6
Hungary 7.5
Guadeloupe 6.8
Japan 6.4
Uruguay 6.2
Bulgaria 5.8
Czech Republic 5.7
Argentina 5.6
Costa Rica 5.6
Germany 5.6
Thailand 5.6
Colombia 5.5
Venezuela 5.5
Republic of Korea 5.4

PubMed Central, Table 1: World Psychiatry. Jun 2005; 4(2): 114
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,706,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
So does Finland and the Nordic countries. I don't think it is a good place to raise children if they are much more likely to hang themselves.
So if 1500 people our of 5.5 million commit suicide annually = that's an indication that the nation is a sad place to live? That's cheap. The largest reasons are personal bankruptcy, divorce, death, alcoholism or an incurable disease. Nothing to do with childcare.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,327,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Here are some examples.
Your examples don't match up to your claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Of course. While you are sitting at home, you are being subsidized by taxpayers who wake up everyday and go to work. I don't know where people get this idea that European countries offer "free" healthcare and all these "free" benefits- you better believe someone is paying for it.
Your inflammatory post indicates a hysterical personality and is laughable at best. Please refrain from trying to derail this thread - if you need to be reminded of the topic, please re-read the OP before posting again. You are not obligated to reply to everything on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
There's no mention of free childcare in any of those posts.
Precisely. Some people just cannot detach themselves from their tired rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So if 1500 people our of 5.5 million commit suicide annually = that's an indication that the nation is a sad place to live? That's cheap. The largest reasons are personal bankruptcy, divorce, death, alcoholism or an incurable disease. Nothing to do with childcare.
I've noticed a number of people posting in this thread expecting everyone to do some mental gymnastics to accept their points of view.

In this new world, people's minds become so poisoned by the impulses they are constantly fed, before they even reach adulthood.

I started a thread asking for people's opinions on best place to raise a child, and it is devolving into a political debate.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM

8,854 posts, read 8,374,785 times

The whole "suicidal rate" thing is just stupid.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
Do me a favor and calm down. There are many surveys indicating that there are more unhappy children in the developed world than in the developing. Here is one: English children 'less happy than those in developing countries' - BBC News
Of course, I don't necessarily think that surveys are reliable but since some posters used them, I simply pointed out that there are surveys stating the opposite.
The UK? Not even close to the top ten, it is 26th.

You just disproved your earlier assertion.

It appears you did me the favor, thanks.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:42 AM

8,854 posts, read 8,374,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The UK? Not even close to the top ten, it is 26th.

You just disproved your earlier assertion.

It appears you did me the favor, thanks.
Actually that whole report doesn't really tell anything meaningful in the first place.They asked 3000 British children if they're "happy" and they said no,then all of a sudden the UK became an undesirable place to raise children.
I suggest that poster recommend friends to raise their kids in Uganda,as it is their children would feel happier there according to that report.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually that whole report doesn't really tell anything meaningful in the first place.They asked 3000 British children if they're "happy" and they said no,then all of a sudden the UK became an undesirable place to raise children.
Ask any parent if they want their kids to live in the UK or Uganda,apparently the latter is a better place for their kids according to that report.
I am wondering if some of the posters in this thread have this song playing in their minds as they fire off some of these interesting replies:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3BN1jSpiyIM

Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Your inflammatory post indicates a hysterical personality and is laughable at best. Please refrain from trying to derail this thread - if you need to be reminded of the topic, please re-read the OP before posting again. You are not obligated to reply to everything on the Internet.
Of course, the truth is always "inflammatory" when people choose to live in denial. All I said was, you can only stay home for 3 years in some of these European countries because somebody else is paying for it. It is not even a matter of political inclination, it is high school level Economics.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:00 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,320,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Of course, the truth is always "inflammatory" when people choose to live in denial. All I said was, you can only stay home for 3 years in some of these European countries because somebody else is paying for it. It is not even a matter of political inclination, it is high school level Economics.
And what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World