Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If the south really wanted to leave, I say let them leave. I'm not saying that in a "who needs them" sort of way. I'm saying that if we are as free as they like to shove down our throats almost from birth, then freedom means states or regions should have the freedom to go their own way if they see fit, or else this freedom thing we like to shout is all a sham. I say the same to Cascadia, Alaska or any other region.

Unlike Australia, the US constitution doesn't mention secession at all so it really can't be called unconstitutional.
The thing is those movements are so small, even in Texas... only 10 percent of the population would support secession, nothing like what happened with Quebec and what is going on with Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
As you mentioned in the opening post, on Thursday Scotland get to vote on whether to leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It's looking pretty close at the moment.
When will we know the results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,451,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In Australia, Western Australia actually did vote to secede once, however it all fell apart because the Australian constitution does not allow it.

Secessionism in Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Principality of Hutt River is perhaps the best current example of an area that has attempted to secede Australia.

Principality of Hutt River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-14-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The thing is those movements are so small, even in Texas... only 10 percent of the population would support secession, nothing like what happened with Quebec and what is going on with Scotland.
The one for Cascadia however is rather consistent and may be growing.

Their flag, called the Doug Flag is seen with more frequency on both sides of the border. It's frequently seen at sporting events these days.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-007fbjilwY...s320/IUhDG.jpg

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/.../03/336590.jpg

2010 – Kings of Cascadia Overhead | TimbersArmy.org

The blue represents the sky and water. The white, the snow and the green for the landscape, especially the forest. the Douglas Fir tree represents strength and endurance.

They've got their own beer called secession:
https://archive.4plebs.org/boards/po...0212733835.jpg

Texas may get all the attention, probably due to it's past but the sentiment in the Pacific Northwest is strong and if you ever spend any time there, you will get a definite feel for that region being disconnected from the rest of the country. It certainly feels different too.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,487,535 times
Quebec's separatist movement is currently at a historic low in terms of support, but it's obviously still a pretty serious secession movement, the main separatist party formed the government of Quebec not one year ago. Newfoundland also has a pretty strong separatist movement, which is often overlooked because of the much more serious threat to national unity, but it would be considered noteworthy if it were in some other countries. Alberta has sometimes been home to soverigntist movements as well, but they were never very serious and are less serious now that so much of the national power base has shifted West.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 PM

165 posts, read 188,829 times
[quote=iNviNciBL3;36495439]The thing is those movements are so small, even in Texas... only 10 percent of the population would support secession/QUOTE]

Lol Try telling that to Southerners.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,076,425 times
there are secessionist movements everywhere here in USA but they tend to be small, very vocal groups.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 PM

If the South was given the chance, it would secede. I can think of several other states that would go to, outside of the South. There may be 3 states that wouldn't, but that would ONLY be because of the mass exodus from the north to here.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,487,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
If the South was given the chance, it would secede. I can think of several other states that would go to, outside of the South. There may be 3 states that wouldn't, but that would ONLY be because of the mass exodus from the north to here.
It's easy to say that when it's a romantic or emotional issue. The real reality of the nitty gritty details might make Southerners think twice about this. I say this a Quebecker who has lived his entire life thinking about the realities and practicalities of separation, something the Scots are having to think about now, and there'd be nothing like an EU framework for the South to neatly look to fold into either. I don't know if American Southerners at large would necessarilly vote the way you assume they would if they actually, practically found themselves having to properly grapple with the issue. For the record though, even though this is none of my busines whatsoever and I recognize I don't get a say, I think people should have the right to vote to secede if they want to, that they should have self determination and be able to make that decision. Federations should be voluntary and should not be constituted by peoples who would rather not participate in them. Having the power to leave if you want to can be an important political fact in helping get issues that lead to that kind of disharmony in the first place addressed, and this ultimately helps federations achieve a more harmonious order.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
there are secessionist movements everywhere here in USA but they tend to be small, very vocal groups.
Cascadia is not local. It is in Portland, Olympia, Seattle and Vancouver as well as suburbs of those regions. Unlike most secessionist movements, the Cascadia Independence Project has gotten media attention in several organizations. In January 2011, TIME magazine included Cascadia on a list of "Top 10 Aspiring Nations". The PBS Public Matters situates their questioning in the "hypothetical state of Cascadia". As usual, this part of the country flies under most people's radar which is actually part of the problem. While everyone talks about Texas and the South, Cascadia supporters are quietly gaining ground.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 AM

Obama turned down the last petition for secession, as did Bush. So they will never allow it. Any American who thinks different is just fooling theirself. They'll never let us go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World