Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM

510 posts, read 606,832 times

Advertisements

In French we shorten words all the time, especially in greetings. "Bon anniv" instead of "bon anniversaire" (happy birthday), "bon ap" instead of "bon appétit", "bon week" instead of "bon weekend" (which I guess in English would technically mean something else, but week by itself is not a word in French). And things like "d'ac" instead of "d'accord" (okay), "la fac" instead of "la faculté" (college). Whole phrases like "il y a" just becomes "ya" (there is). Removing letters in personal pronouns like "t'a vu?" instead of "tu as vu?" (have you seen?), omitting the negative word "ne" entirely in spoken French like "j'sais pas" instead of "je ne sais pas" (I do not know).

And of course French normally doesn't pronounce the last 3 or 4 letters in any word, for example "il court" and "ils courent" are pronounced exactly the same ("he runs" and "they run", respectively), so I would say that shortening words is very, very common in French :-)

Last edited by strad; 09-15-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,701,136 times
^ Yeah, same theme here. Like in "hyvää viikonloppua" (happy weekend) becomes "viikonloppui", "tuossa tuo on" (there it is) is just "tos", "minä menen" (I'll go) is "mä meen", "oletko nähnyt" (have you seen) becomes "ooks nähny". "Olen samaa mieltä" (I agree) can be just "sama".
Okay, in Finnish "oke" or just O.K. is due to the shortness and many possibilities widely used.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,034,972 times
"Jeet? No, jew?" = Did you eat? No, did you?
telly = television
info = information
scrip = prescription
doc = doctor
sup = superintendent (apartment manager)
soup doc = superintendent of documents (the head boss of the U.S. government printing office)
frat = college fraternity
convo = convocation

The U.S. military uses many acronyms, for instance CINCLANT, CINCPAC - commander in chief, atlantic / pacific fleet

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-15-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 AM

8,850 posts, read 8,371,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
In French we shorten words all the time, especially in greetings. "Bon anniv" instead of "bon anniversaire" (happy birthday), "bon ap" instead of "bon appétit", "bon week" instead of "bon weekend" (which I guess in English would technically mean something else, but week by itself is not a word in French). And things like "d'ac" instead of "d'accord" (okay), "la fac" instead of "la faculté" (college). Whole phrases like "il y a" just becomes "ya" (there is). Removing letters in personal pronouns like "t'a vu?" instead of "tu as vu?" (have you seen?), omitting the negative word "ne" entirely in spoken French like "j'sais pas" instead of "je ne sais pas" (I do not know).

And of course French normally doesn't pronounce the last 3 or 4 letters in any word, for example "il court" and "ils courent" are pronounced exactly the same ("he runs" and "they run", respectively), so I would say that shortening words is very, very common in French :-)
This is very informative.My French teacher never told me these(except for la fac,j'sais pas,and t'as).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World