U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,884,691 times

Advertisements

Life is about surprises and expectations simultaneously, including when people travel, and where they live. What are some main encounters you experienced anywhere in the World you thought you would never notice happening there. Your response is able to include a main event, or visual scenery summary. Please include photos when available. However, you don't have to include photos when describing relevant event.

When I traveled all over Europe 1 month in July and August, I observed some incredible experiences there relevant to topic.

There is a tourism landmark site in Paris France really looking like a version of Taj Mahal from India. This landmark site is right in Montmartre neighborhood of Paris, and exact name is Basilique du Sacre-Coeur in French and Basilica of Sacred Heart.

When people visit Romania, they have to find out about extremely photogenic, and amazing Gypsy houses. Some of then even resemble house palaces, and have an Asian visual look as Tibetan monasteries. Google “Gypsy Houses” and you are going to believe.

When I traveled in Vienna Austria, I went to a Chinese restaurant right around Innere Stadt and visually showing up like a Chinese Buddhist temple inside there. I think name of restaurant is Shanghai Garden or Shanghai China Restaurant.

I have photos in all of these unexpected destinations on my camera, and computer. I am having up tons of photos soon in more than 1 topic.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 09-17-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,772,920 times
Camden Passage in London (Islington)

Cute little alley way kind of hidden behind a main street full of little antique shops and restaurant.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5349...IlPuUZ-b1A!2e0

Old 09-18-2014, 07:44 PM

3,522 posts, read 4,987,354 times
Colorfully-addressed Andean (South American) musicians commonly perform on streets of cities. In North America, as well as Europe. I even saw them in Salzburg, Austria.

In Pisa, Italy, there is a large park near the Leaning and Tower and Cathedral. I saw about 200 vendors selling souvenirs, and food. All of them, except one, were very black Africans. Only one was white.

Then there is Baltimore's Bromo-Seltzer Tower http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromo_Seltzer_Tower

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-18-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,463,504 times
I saw a Mariachi band perform in Marienplatz, Munich.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM

1,380 posts, read 985,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In Pisa, Italy, there is a large park near the Leaning and Tower and Cathedral. I saw about 200 vendors selling souvenirs, and food. All of them, except one, were very black Africans. Only one was white.
That's true near all the monuments and also at the seaside. It's really common in Italy, in practice. We call them "Vucumprà".

Old 10-04-2014, 03:13 PM

There is areas of Constanta Romania in Mamaia nightlife entertainment district pedestrian friendliness walkability zone along coastline resembling Miami Beach in summer months. Elite prestigious nightclubs (In Romania they sometimes call them Discoteques), vibrant energy of nightlife partying, colorful hotels, and invigorating excitement happens in unique Constanta.

I actually prefer Constanta’s nightlife entertainment zone of Mamaia compared to Miami Beach in summer without hesitation because there is more authentic character, soul, more foreign, exotic, traditional, and no sketchy nightlife ever happening there.

There is a vast archeological site in Bulgarian coastline around Kavarna Cape Kaliakra northeast of Varna I never expected to notice somewhere in Bulgaria. A main ancient historical site of such a high level is expected in a country like France, Spain, or Italy.

While I experienced endless fun in Paris France, and respect dominant architectural style there, I didn’t except to love Prague Czech Republic, and Vienna Austria architecture much more than Paris. Architecture is especially colorful there, even more meticulous intricate details carved into buildings, and sometimes more variety in buildings, and homes. I usually prefer prominent Baroque, and Nouveau buildings compared to Haussmann’s Paris architecture.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Camden Passage in London (Islington)

Cute little alley way kind of hidden behind a main street full of little antique shops and restaurant.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5349843,-0.1037552,3a,49.6y,26.44h,84.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sz0y3kzjJBHUpIlPuUZ-b1A!2e0
People continue to get surprised when massive, heavily populated cities have relatively laid back, lower density, charming neighborhood zones.

Quote:
Colorfully-addressed Andean (South American) musicians commonly perform on streets of cities. In North America, as well as Europe. I even saw them in Salzburg, Austria.

I think I saw those types of musicians play in NYC subways. Although, I am not too surprised in NYC because of a 70%-90% “Hispanic” Spanish Latin population demographics in some neighborhoods there.

Having this happen in Salzburg Austria is incredible, maybe even more surprising than a Chinese Buddhist temple restaurant I encountered in Vienna Austria.

Italy is slightly more multicultural cosmopolitan diverse than some people’s expectations. Other than some Black Italians, there is a notable Asian immigrant population in some areas of Italy, up to 6%-9% of population in some towns around Tuscany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I saw a Mariachi band perform in Marienplatz, Munich.
Yeah, very surprising and unprecedented because there isn’t that many Spanish Latin immigrants anywhere in Europe from Central American, South American countries from Mexico to Argentina/Chile outside of Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
That's true near all the monuments and also at the seaside. It's really common in Italy, in practice. We call them "Vucumprà".
I assume those Black Italians know Italian language, and integrating into Italian society. I wonder how Italian souvenirs are like compared to France, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, and Romania.

A noticeable amount of some Romanians really try to make themselves seem like there is lots of similarities between Romania, and Italy. Lol I notice those are such false exaggerations in reality.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 17,827,622 times
Quote:
This is the main reason I avoid tourist areas whether in Europe or North America. The incessant Andean music. It is really the theme music to 1st world tourism.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,144,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
maybe even more surprising than a Chinese Buddhist temple restaurant I encountered in Vienna Austria.
Shanghai Tan? They just had a pretty good interior designer...

Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,779,739 times
This topic looks rather familiar.

What You Didn’t Expect To Happen Somewhere Compared To Stereotypes Or Reputation In Regions of the World.

Discover a Very Rare, Surprising, Not Expected, Interesting Novelty in A Country or Place.

The Surprising Statistics And Events You Noticed Related to Geography or Contrary to Stereotypes and Reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or