Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:13 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
They'll still be depressed in Hawaii.
No one is depressed in Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM

835 posts, read 1,245,780 times
I'm wondering: How would Bhutan actually rank in the World Happiness Report, given that that country is the one that initiated the whole Gross National Happiness concept?

My guess would be not among the top 10 or top 20, given that it's a pretty poor country, but significantly higher than for other such poor countries.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 13 hours ago)

43,380 posts, read 44,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I dont believe that. People from Latin America seem soooooooo much happier than people from Scandinavia. It looks like the jolly people from Finland off themselves at an alarming rate, while the supposedly less happy Italians enjoy living. Lets look at suicide statistics:

Austria 13.8
Belgium 18.4
Britain
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark 11.3
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
Mexico 4.4
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Slovak Republic
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
United States
I don't see Israel and Costa Rica on this list where people are much happier than the USA.

These Are The Happiest Countries in The World - Bloomberg Business

Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 AM

835 posts, read 1,245,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't see Israel and Costa Rica on this list where people are much happier than the USA.

These Are The Happiest Countries in The World - Bloomberg Business
I think the reason why Israel and Costa Rica are not on the list that ILikeMike91 provided is because it provides statistics for countries that were a part of the OECD (the so-called "rich countries' club") - even though Australia is not in this list - before 2010, when Israel (along with Chile, Estonia, and the like) joined the OECD. Costa Rica is still not a member of the OECD to this day.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,881,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
several years ago according to this "index" bulgaria was named the saddest place in the world:

Comparing countries: The rich, the poor and Bulgaria | The Economist

While it's obviously poor it's still the best country (in just my opinion of course...) and besides: only fools are happy .
Bizarre Romania feels infinitely happier when I visit compared to Bulgaria. Instantaneous stark contrast across the border. People seem to smile, and laugh much more around Romania, including exude emotional moods of euphoria. Bulgarians seemed more distressed and serious. I wonder why the disparity?

Next time I visit Bulgaria, probably this summer maybe I will observe another mood of tone in the people scene. My visit was pleasant, and enjoyable despite the happiness rank.
Maybe orange instead of red is appropriate with Bulgaria.

On the Global map, Romania deserves at least a yellow or light blue/green color modern times right now. They have such a bright future, and people seem happier there compared to decades ago.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Bizarre Romania feels infinitely happier when I visit compared to Bulgaria. Instantaneous stark contrast across the border. People seem to smile, and laugh much more around Romania, including exude emotional moods of euphoria. Bulgarians seemed more distressed and serious. I wonder why the disparity?

Next time I visit Bulgaria, probably this summer maybe I will observe another mood of tone in the people scene. My visit was pleasant, and enjoyable despite the happiness rank.
Maybe orange instead of red is appropriate with Bulgaria.

On the Global map, Romania deserves at least a yellow or light blue/green color modern times right now. They have such a bright future, and people seem happier there compared to decades ago.
I'm not from Bulgaria, but do know Bulgarians...they are not smilers, and don't show lots of happiness all of the time.

They remind me of Russians.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I'm not from Bulgaria, but do know Bulgarians...they are not smilers, and don't show lots of happiness all of the time.

They remind me of Russians.
There is a euphoric side of Slavic Eastern European culture and countries representing the area. Mysterious comforting simplicity, exotic, and some types of minimal corruption feel. Very unique cultural identification people observe with the Slavic Eastern European label.

However, Bulgarians on average just seem way too serious all of the time. What is going on with their country to have this national emotional temperament of the personality? I wouldn't call them introverted, yet they don't seem very extroverted at all.

Even Russians seem more jovial than Bulgarians depending on when anyone get to deeply know them, and when they are around their own kind of people.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,100,376 times
Just saw a documentary where a young Romanian couple in Portsmouth ( UK) have just been told they can get £300.00 a week in Tax Credits, they looked very, very happy.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Just saw a documentary where a young Romanian couple in Portsmouth ( UK) have just been told they can get £300.00 a week in Tax Credits, they looked very, very happy.
Honestly, I feel very happy in Romania when I visit. They have a bright optimistic future, and the country is improving every year. What a magical wonderful country. I am proud of my Romanian ethnic heritage.

The only obvious downside I can think of is starving too skinny young people, including Romanian ladies below 30 years old. Not a comforting trend when people really enjoy eating. Some people even refuse to eat at restaurants because they are afraid to gain weight. Pathetic. Ironically, when people get older than 30 years, they usually become older, and wise, becoming quite overweight quite suddenly. I usually prefer slightly overweight ladies, and love the North American overweight lady look.

Another downside is the average annual income is not very high(Getting up to $20,000-$25,000), yet I know tons of comfortably middle class Romanians not poor at all, and some relatively wealthy. A high percentage of Romanians have homes luxuriously decorated inside making them seem wealthier than they are.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No one is depressed in Hawaii
There is happy people, in between extremes, and sad people everywhere all over the World regardless of location.

Hawaii is a tropical island, yet overrated according to some measures. The isolation, cost of living, and if someone prefers a very urban lifestyle guarantee some depressed people on Hawaii land, just like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World