Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,908,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Would you consider the transistor significant?
The Americans did not invent the transistor either. It was an Austrian-Hungarian called Lilienfeld. Shockley flat out stole the idea and they even gave him a Nobel prize for that. So we can add that to the 'Things you though were created/invented or done by your country, but weren't'. Thanks for bringing this up, I did not know the Americans stole the idea of the transistor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 03:27 AM

9,446 posts, read 10,738,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Except saving your sorry asses from Hitler ?!

I get that the post your replying to is a smug European who is clearly insulting our country, I didn't like it either. However this reply is really an insult to our allies. The US played a major role in the WW2 victory no doubt. I think our manufacturing abilities were our most valuable contribution to the victory, as we supplied most allied nations with tons of munitions and equipment. However we need to respect the roles the other allied powers had as well. Canada sent nearly a million troops, when their population was only about 12 million. They were in all the major campaigns. The British stood alone against Hitler for well over a year, in the face of fierce bombing and the threat of invasion they fought on. The Royal Navy and British air power played a huge role in the victory. The British won North Africa as well. The British were also critical at D-day. Without the British Hitler would have won the war. Joseph Stalin was a monster and he gets no credit from me, but the Russian people do deserve credit. Without them winning the war would have taken far far longer. They sacrificed the most, and they never quit even when defeat looked eminent. No doubt the Russians are tough, they proved it in the world war. Too bad they have been so badly behaved lately, but that's another topic.
When we Americans say things like this poster said it makes us all look bad. It makes us look arrogant, and even uneducated. It is plain wrong that we were the only reason the war was won. We played a huge role in the ww2 victory, and I am proud of what our country accomplished but the British, Canadians, Russians, Australians also have good reason to be proud as well. We need to respect our allies or we will lose them.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The Americans did not invent the transistor either. It was an Austrian-Hungarian called Lilienfeld. Shockley flat out stole the idea and they even gave him a Nobel prize for that. So we can add that to the 'Things you though were created/invented or done by your country, but weren't'. Thanks for bringing this up, I did not know the Americans stole the idea of the transistor.
Wiki can be tricky. Your link says that indeed he patented the first transistor in Canada. Then if you click on his name in that wiki piece, the information on him mentions he moved to the US in the early 1920's, but gives no hint as to why he patented in Canada. It also states he became an American citizen in 1934.

So did he invent the transistor, while in Canada? or the US? Is an invention Canadian or American because it was invented there? Or is it Austrian-Hungarian because the inventor was?

Around and around we go. LOL

Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,551,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I get that the post your replying to is a smug European who is clearly insulting our country, I didn't like it either. However this reply is really an insult to our allies. The US played a major role in the WW2 victory no doubt. I think our manufacturing abilities were our most valuable contribution to the victory, as we supplied most allied nations with tons of munitions and equipment. However we need to respect the roles the other allied powers had as well. Canada sent nearly a million troops, when their population was only about 12 million. They were in all the major campaigns. The British stood alone against Hitler for well over a year, in the face of fierce bombing and the threat of invasion they fought on. The Royal Navy and British air power played a huge role in the victory. The British won North Africa as well. The British were also critical at D-day. Without the British Hitler would have won the war. Joseph Stalin was a monster and he gets no credit from me, but the Russian people do deserve credit. Without them winning the war would have taken far far longer. They sacrificed the most, and they never quit even when defeat looked eminent. No doubt the Russians are tough, they proved it in the world war. Too bad they have been so badly behaved lately, but that's another topic.
When we Americans say things like this poster said it makes us all look bad. It makes us look arrogant, and even uneducated. It is plain wrong that we were the only reason the war was won. We played a huge role in the ww2 victory, and I am proud of what our country accomplished but the British, Canadians, Russians, Australians also have good reason to be proud as well. We need to respect our allies or we will lose them.
Good post, but it would have been good to put etc behind the list of countries in the last paragraph. Better still, you could have named them.

That way, you're not missing out on the other countries that also made big sacrifices. Respect should be shown to all the allies, not just a select few.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,320,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So did he invent the transistor, while in Canada? or the US? Is an invention Canadian or American because it was invented there? Or is it Austrian-Hungarian because the inventor was?
In the end the transistor was invented by the individual Lilienfeld... Who cares which nationality he had at that time? He could be considered Austro-Hungarian, Austrian (official name back then: "The Kingdoms and Lands represented in the Imperial Council"), Galician ("Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria"), Polish, Ukrainian, German, Israeli (he would be eligible for a Israeli passport, the country just didn't exist back then) or American...

According to the German wikipedia he developed the field transistor in 1925, left Germany (where he studied and got most of his ideas from) in 1927 and probably had a Polish or German passport back than (since he lived there since 1899 and the empire collapsed at some point later on). I doubt he had an Austrian one.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
In the end the transistor was invented by the individual Lilienfeld... Who cares which nationality he had at that time? He could be considered Austro-Hungarian, Austrian (official name back then: "The Kingdoms and Lands represented in the Imperial Council"), Galician ("Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria"), Polish, Ukrainian, German, Israeli (he would be eligible for a Israeli passport, the country just didn't exist back then) or American...

According to the German wikipedia he developed the field transistor in 1925, left Germany (where he studied and got most of his ideas from) in 1927 and probably had a Polish or German passport back than (since he lived there since 1899 and the empire collapsed at some point later on). I doubt he had an Austrian one.
Personally, I don't have a stake in this. People who care? Well that is what this thread is about.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,908,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Apparently, he invented it around 1920 and traveled to Canada to patent it. Anyway, an Austrian-Hungarian working abroad is still an Austrian-Hungarian. He did not become an American citizen until 1934. It is a shame though, that most of our scientists felt they had to move to Northern America.

Honestly, this whole thread could just as well have been named 'Things you thought were created/invented or done in the USA, but weren't'. People from countries that actually contributed something like Germany, Britain, Switzerland or Austria don't feel the need to brag about their country. It is people from countries which didn't contribute anything significant who are insecure and feel they need to make claims about things their country didn't invent. Like what happened with the transistor.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Apparently, he invented it around 1920 and traveled to Canada to patent it. Anyway, an Austrian-Hungarian working abroad is still an Austrian-Hungarian. He did not become an American citizen until 1934. It is a shame though, that most of our scientists felt they had to move to Northern America.

Honestly, this whole thread could just as well have been named 'Things you thought were created/invented or done in the USA, but weren't'. People from countries that actually contributed something like Germany, Britain, Switzerland or Austria don't feel the need to brag about their country. It is people from countries which didn't contribute anything significant who are insecure and feel they need to make claims about things their country didn't invent. Like what happened with the transistor.
I have yet to meet anyone from anywhere that hasn't bragged about something….it may not be claiming something as their own when it's not…but bragging never the less.

Generalizations are bad so I don't want to paint all people of a country one way or another, but I have met Europeans who brag about a lot of things, just like everyone else does.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM

338 posts, read 333,573 times
Quote:
It doesn't always matter who invents the thing, but the one who finds a way to make them for 1/100 of the original price at thrice the speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World