Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
By the ocean 39 60.94%
By the mountains 25 39.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:45 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Why decide for one of them, if you can have both. I like the ocean and the mountains.
There are many cities which have both.
LA
Nice
Catania
Pescara
Honolulu
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Naples
Sochi
Vancouver
Seattle
Athens
Antalya
Cape town
and many more

Yep. One of the best in Australia for mountains and coast is Hobart, although technically it's at the mouth of the Derwent river.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...00%3B940%3B627
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:06 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,035,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Why decide for one of them, if you can have both. I like the ocean and the mountains.
There are many cities which have both.
LA
Nice
Catania
Pescara
Honolulu
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Naples
Sochi
Vancouver
Seattle
Athens
Antalya
Cape town
and many more
This is a beautiful city.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,366,054 times
I grew up in a house very near to the ocean and just walkable distance to mountains..that's why we call it "Bondoc Peninsula".

US west coast seems to be the best location of having both.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:59 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I grew up in a house very near to the ocean and just walkable distance to mountains..that's why we call it "Bondoc Peninsula".

US west coast seems to be the best location of having both.
Very true although I would think that Scandinavia and New Zealand would be no slouches in this regard either. As far as the US west coast though:

Los Angeles
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ountains2.jpeg

Seattle
http://www.todaysphoto.org/potd/seat...-mountains.jpg

With these two cities, the mountains are closest to the ocean relatively. Outside of the cities, the other side of the mountains in the Seattle photo has those mountains meet the pacific.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:09 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,375,019 times
I like both, but I find even though I live near mountains, the ocean is better for me. I have terrible sinus problems, and I live in the Southwest Deserts surrounded by Mountain ranges. I have a terrible time with clogged sinuses, that just seem stuffed up all the time. The air is very dry in the desert. The ocean air is much easier for me to breathe. Only problem is. Where the ocean is, is where the high COL is. Think San Diego.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I like both, but I find even though I live near mountains, the ocean is better for me. I have terrible sinus problems, and I live in the Southwest Deserts surrounded by Mountain ranges. I have a terrible time with clogged sinuses, that just seem stuffed up all the time. The air is very dry in the desert. The ocean air is much easier for me to breathe. Only problem is. Where the ocean is, is where the high COL is. Think San Diego.
If you think San Diego is bad then San Francisco will give you a straight up heart attack.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 AM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times
I get the best of both, living within 3 km of the beach and 9 km of snowy peaks.

I would choose ocean because I spend much more time there over the year, than I do in the mountains. It's good to have skiing close by though.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you choose to live by the ocean or by the mountains?-gedc2640.jpg  

Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn
I choose mountains. I would not like living next to the world's biggest sewers.
I agree!!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,366,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Very true although I would think that Scandinavia and New Zealand would be no slouches in this regard either. As far as the US west coast though:

Los Angeles
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ountains2.jpeg

Seattle
http://www.todaysphoto.org/potd/seat...-mountains.jpg

With these two cities, the mountains are closest to the ocean relatively. Outside of the cities, the other side of the mountains in the Seattle photo has those mountains meet the pacific.
My only concern with seaside living is the possible tsunami.

Is the west coast safe from Tsunami for a possible undersea earthquake in the Pacific Ocean?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 AM

2,298 posts, read 3,106,214 times
I am an ocean person mainly so I would take the sea but I would not like living where it would be more than a few hours drive to the Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World