Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 PM

919 posts, read 833,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
I'm from Australia and I would say it has great job security. It is pretty hard to be fired, unless you really screw up and after several warnings.
So is Japan. And I don't think it is good for economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 AM

23,980 posts, read 10,323,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
US government workers, too, make a little less than private industry workers up front, but job security, pension, and healthcare benefit far outweigh the slightly smaller salary.

Did I mention they are part of the ruling establishment? For a private industry worker, you don't have a job if your company doesn't make any money. Government workers always have money from taxes. If they want more money, they just charge you more taxes and fees.

They live like kings and queens here.

Apparently you have never looked at COL

Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 8,127,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So I used your source (OECD) to come up with the average disposable income and wealth of the counties you were bragging on and here's what OECD stats show....none of the counties come within half of the average wealth in the USA:

USA - Average disposable income $41,355, Average wealth - $145,769
France - Average disposable income $28,799, Average wealth - $48,741
Spain - Average disposable income $22,477, Average wealth - $24,744
Germany - Average disposable income $31,252, Average wealth - $50,394
Canada - Average disposable income $29,365, Average wealth - $67,913

People from inconsequential countries are so cute when they come up with irrelevant stats to try to put down the dominant country in the world.
You also have to factor in 4-5 weeks paid vacation, paid parental leave, subsidized child care and other welfare services. That is often more important for the average European than an extra $10k-15k per year. Rich people (in Spain, UK, Germany, and so on) can always afford to pay for help and they do not need government welfare services.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,668,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
You also have to factor in 4-5 weeks paid vacation, paid parental leave, subsidized child care and other welfare services. That is often more important for the average European than an extra $10k-15k per year. Rich people (in Spain, UK, Germany, and so on) can always afford to pay for help and they do not need government welfare services.
Not to mention free education.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM

29,808 posts, read 18,675,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Agreed, I get 10 weeks paid vacation per year and my company throws in an additional $15K for flights. In general though, the benefits are more generous for European workers. My company has offices worldwide and I see the breakdown of wages and benefits costs for workers in different countries. At times I have wondered if I would enjoy the Euro system more but for me, I would rather have the additional money and be able to retire and not depend on succeeding generations to fund my pension/retirement.

As far as the original question about job security, Euro Zone unemployment rate is 11% and the USA is 5.1%.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:53 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,877,208 times
Italy beats all countries.
If you don't have job you can't be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World