Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Why do people post questions about the US on the World forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
In which forum would you expect more answers to the question of what people from other countries think about America?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:51 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Brazilians look mostly for Disney World and theme parks in Orlando. They also love to go shopping in outlets in that area and sales is NYC.
Of course you find brazilians visiting everywhere, but a lot more than 50% go to USA for these places to make shopping and have fun at those parks.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
The "pursuit of happiness" is a right guaranteed by our founding document. That is pretty unique, no?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Brazilians look mostly for Disney World and theme parks in Orlando. They also love to go shopping in outlets in that area and sales is NYC.
Of course you find brazilians visiting everywhere, but a lot more than 50% go to USA for these places to make shopping and have fun at those parks.
Tell me about and their loud shouting.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Tell me about the Irish potato munchers.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Tell me about the Irish potato munchers.

More like Irish drunks. I've never seen so much public drunkenness as I saw in Ireland.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Invincible if you lived outside the US and saw the ignorance (yes, of course not all are same) of Americans and the way the country exports an image of superiority you would understand peoples fustrations.

Anyway the U.S. is an interesting country.

It always has bothered me more when I see British people say unfriendly things about the US, especially considering the close historical and cultural ties we have. Being founded as a British colony our laws and government are strongly influenced by Britain, our language and culture is strongly influenced by Britain, in short we are really just an offshoot of Britain when you get down to it. The British CREATED the United states, and to hear people from across the pond cut us down is far more upsetting than it is to hear a Russian or Chinese person do it. They are truly foreign to us, but British people are not. (same for other anglo nations like Australia and especially Canada) Here in the US there is a largely positive view of Britain, its very rare to hear strong anti English rants. You will hear some national pride when we talk about our revolution, but beyond that there is no bad feelings toward the British. We recognize the fact that they did start this country, regardless of our spat with King George III. When we were forced into WW2 by the Japanese attack we chose to send the bulk of our force to England to help our ally drive the Nazis out of Europe. The Japanese enemy was put second to the threat of Nazi Germany. We did that because of the close ties we have with England. Now Im sure over there you see all kinds of garbage emanating from the USA, our media puts countless stupid people on TV, where they rant on about foreign policy, politics etc. We also put all our troubles out for the world to see, our culture is so open that we make it easy for our enemies to see our flaws. In fact we debate our problems and flaws on national TV. Our entertainment industry pumps out garbage like Snookie and housewives, this definitely does not help us. All this being the case, none of it represents the regular American. Also most Americans have no interest in being the world police (we are always accused of this). We get pulled into these kinds of things when other nations request help, and being we have the resources it kind of ends up being a moral responsibility. The ISIS thing is a perfect example, most Americans are not happy about having to deal with it but the vile atrocities being committed by ISIS make it impossible to say no. Britain often faces the same dilemma, as being a major world power comes with some responsibility to help those under the boot of oppression. The US however is the one called warmongers for being involved in these kinds of things. I am not saying your anti American, but in general its sad to see us being condemned by those in England. I don't care if the arabs don't like us, I don't care about the Russians, but I do care that the British have begun to see us in the same negative light that parts of Europe and the middle east do.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 PM

59 posts, read 82,974 times
I think the people live in America are fascinating and places to visit are very beautiful.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 AM

125 posts, read 163,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
British have begun to see us in the same negative light that parts of Europe and the middle east do.
There is a long history of anti-Americanism in the UK. Why does their opinion count more than anyone else's? Google "BBC Question Time 9/11". It will be a real eye opener for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World