Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 AM

342 posts, read 508,575 times

Advertisements

An incredible culture (music, TV, technology, etc). I agree they are like the Romans. People all around the world are "Americanized". When I see a group of Swedish teenagers, they are all wearing jeans (American), t-shirts (American), and hats of random American sports team. You see these kids wearing Boston Red Sox hats and you wonder if they have ever been to Boston or watched a whole Red Sox game! But also things like sports, the Americans dominate the Olympics year after year, almost coming in the top three. And now Basketball is a world sport, and people outside of the US increasingly watch American football. In Canada where I am from there were plenty of Seattle Seahawks fans, and i know in southern Ontario there are many Canadian Bills fans who even come across the border and flood the Buffalo stadium. And of course American TV and Movies dominate the world scene, and while many jealous naysayers focus on the bad movies, most of the greatest movies and TV series of all time (the Sopranaos, the Wire, Breaking Bad, Six feet Under, Deadwood, Dexter, Game of Thrones, etc) are American. But also their great interest in technology. Americans are always world leaders in technological advances (along with the likes of Japan and even South Korea, etc) and "the next big thing" tends to come from America. Americans are always working at creating new ideas, new ways of doing things. Something that anti-Americans will never admit is that US is at the "center of the world" when it comes to innovation. There is also the resilience Americans have. They are very stoic and still have the rebel attitude that founded the country. It is incredibly amusing to me to see Europeans skwaking about the Americans non-stop, telling them whats right and what wrong and how they should run the country. Meanwhile the Americans don't even care, and they just do what they decide to do. I think the Americans aren't one to follow other people just because others are doing it. Americans forge their own path and trust their instincts. They are not afraid to go their own way, and always believe in themselves. So far it has been an unparalleled succes. No one looking at America in 1783 would imagine it would become one of history's greatrst superpowers today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 12:17 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,903,925 times
I find it fascinating Americans think they are the best in everything while in real life they fail very hard in just about everything: education, health-care, (violent) crime statistics, poverty rates, number of homeless people, infrastructure, public transportation, internet speeds, food quality, quality of products like cars, houses, etc.

I am really curious as to why they still think they are the best in everything.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,408,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I find it fascinating Americans think they are the best in everything while in real life they fail very hard in just about everything: education, health-care, (violent) crime statistics, poverty rates, number of homeless people, infrastructure, public transportation, internet speeds, food quality, quality of products like cars, houses, etc.

Well considering you made up the fact that we supposedly think we are the best in everything you might as well just continue with your assumptions about why we think we are the best in everything.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,219,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I don't know what a Nicki Minaj is.
Should I?
It's a name.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,219,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

Is anyone on here claiming that we are the best at everything?

Personally, I would think that you would show some gratitude since if it were not for the US, you would be speaking either German or Russian right now.

As a matter of fact, I bet you would never have even been born.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-08-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM

That's what i really hate, i'm just sitting over here minding my own business.

and you have someone, most likely a poster from Europe. trying to push my countries problems in my face.. "blah blah blah healthcare!! poverty!! crime!!"
and they say they do this because "You Americans think you are the best at everything we are trying to prove you why you are not the best!"

I'm like "Okay i never even said the US was the best at anything"

So yeah to me, a lot of these people come off as some snobs who try their hardest to degrade Americans, for why? i don't know exactly. i wonder if i was born in some country like Canada, Australia or Belgium if i would develop this attitude.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,336,061 times
Invincible if you lived outside the US and saw the ignorance (yes, of course not all are same) of Americans and the way the country exports an image of superiority you would understand peoples fustrations.

Anyway the U.S. is an interesting country.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,283,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's what i really hate, i'm just sitting over here minding my own business.

and you have someone, most likely a poster from Europe. trying to push my countries problems in my face.. "blah blah blah healthcare!! poverty!! crime!!"
and they say they do this because "You Americans think you are the best at everything we are trying to prove you why you are not the best!"

So yeah to me, a lot of these people come off as some snobs who try their hardest to degrade Americans, for why? i don't know exactly. i wonder if i was born in some country like Canada, Australia or Belgium if i would develop this attitude.
I was born and raised right here in the US and I have this attitude toward certain Americans because certain ones are like that.

BUT, having said that, I do see where you're coming from. I think this thread is inflammatory as all hell which is why I reacted the way I did at the beginning.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Invincible if you lived outside the US and saw the ignorance (yes, of course not all are same) of Americans and the way the country exports an image of superiority you would understand peoples fustrations.

Anyway the U.S. is an interesting country.
Okay please explain

Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

You might not have that attitude, but several Americans posting on these forums have. One reason why people are so annoyed towards that is the sense of US superiority and the total ignorance of other countries. As the US is completely isolated to itself in popular culture, many think that other countries have no culture, like no fashion, no literature, no movies, no music, no cuisine - because you don't hear about them in America. Though he's a troll, it's like how ILikeMike91 said earlier. "We gave you everything because you don't have anything." That creates a very defensive reaction among some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World