Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,025,208 times

Advertisements

Texas always caught my eye. From its shape to it's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah music industry is pretty huge, the movie industry is pretty big as well.

Cinema of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus we are the 3rd most visited country by international tourist so there must be something fascinating here people want to see?
You what I really hate how when you goto the movies in America and sometimes they will clap at every funny incident. THAT REALLY REALLY starts to irk after a while.

But the British make game shows, yous always copy us. Like you copied Deal or no Deal, Big Brother, Hells kitchen etc.. and let me tell you the American versions are crappy not even remotely as good as ours.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:27 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,276,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unlimited
sex
money
freedom
no immigration requirements
and a disfunctional law enforcement system
You have unlimited freedom? Let's meet at the Hotel Nacional de Cuba and discuss it over a cerveza.
Oh, wait.......

Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Texas always caught my eye. From its shape to it's history.
I moved to Texas twenty five years ago and I LOVE it!!!!!!! Love, love, love, love, love this state, and I've lived in about 15 states, from Ohio to California. I hope I never live anywhere else. Come visit!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Invincible if you lived outside the US and saw the ignorance (yes, of course not all are same) of Americans and the way the country exports an image of superiority you would understand peoples fustrations.

Anyway the U.S. is an interesting country.
I'll tell you what I can understand - I can understand why so many Americans find Europeans frustrating and often irritating, albeit in a mildly humorous (unintentionally humorous) way.

It's not that Europeans in general are any more or less ignorant than Americans in general - it's just that so many of them apparently don't realize that they are.

It's tiresome listening to so many people criticize the US when they're sitting there with egg on their own faces.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Actually, I do get along quite nicely when I visit Europe - and my European friends get along quite nicely when they visit the US. This is because nice people generally focus on the good in others rather than focusing on the negatives.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,227,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
I lived in the Eurozone when I was a kid so I'll offer my perception.

It's just amazing how all those people from all those different countries can live and work around one another and not tear the place apart.
Well, they kinda have torn the place apart...several times.

World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,370,388 times
Quote:
Is the US multi lingual in nature?
Multi cultural diversity yes,
Multilingual, I bet no.

So many thins that fascinates me about the US.

1. The american slang lol! I understand this way better than any other English accents in the world. American idioms are quite hard to understand though!

2. The "HOLLYWOOD".

3. The friendliness.

4. The Ivy League schools.

5. The multi cultural diversity.

6. The rich middle class.

7. The freedom.

8. The city that never sleeps.

9. The one stop shops.

10. The muscle cars.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,227,721 times
Quote:
Something I hear Americans say here all the time.

"Its so [insert negative comment] over here" in that arrogant American accent ugh!!!
I need you to include the negative comment so we can understand what you are talking about.

Btw I could pretty much guarantee that most if not all American are fascinated by Europe, if they do make negative comments, you should just chalk it up to jealousy.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 AM

595 posts, read 716,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
You what I really hate how when you goto the movies in America and sometimes they will clap at every funny incident. THAT REALLY REALLY starts to irk after a while.

But the British make game shows, yous always copy us. Like you copied Deal or no Deal, Big Brother, Hells kitchen etc.. and let me tell you the American versions are crappy not even remotely as good as ours.
And the British have copied Big Brother, Deal or no Deal, and many other reality shows to the Netherlands, excluding the countries that made those shows before the UK.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:17 PM

125 posts, read 162,725 times
Invention of the reality genre isn't much to be proud of.

What's an "arrogant" accent, anyway? Someone has conflated Americanness with arrogance. That's just knee-jerk hostility and confirmation bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World