Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
LOL. Hispanic as a term sounds odd why can't people from "below the US" just be called Spanish American?
Latin American is about as close as you would get. I also don't think that most like being called "Spanish" as it seems to have a connotation of being more specifically from Spain. In fact, many Hispanics don't even like the term Hispanic, especially Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Latin American is about as close as you would get. I also don't think that most like being called "Spanish" as it seems to have a connotation of being more specifically from Spain. In fact, many Hispanics don't even like the term Hispanic, especially Mexicans.
I say Spanish because Latin means Latin languages which includes French. Haiti and Matinque ain't really Latin are they?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
They are called ethnic minorities because they are ethnic minorities within their respective countries. White people are a minority globally but a majority in nearly all developed countries.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They are called ethnic minorities because they are ethnic minorities within their respective countries. White people are a minority globally but a majority in nearly all developed countries.
We know that!

Doesn't "Minority majority area" sound a bit ridiculous? Or when (white people mainly) miss use the word ethnic so it means different?

The word minority gives feels like they don't belong

Quote:
White people are a minority globally but a majority in nearly all developed countries.

Yeah what a coincidence...

Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
I say Spanish because Latin means Latin languages which includes French. Haiti and Matinque ain't really Latin are they?
I agree but that's the term that's popular here for whatever reason.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Quote:
We know that!

Doesn't "Minority majority area" sound a bit ridiculous? Or when (white people mainly) miss use the word ethnic so it means different?

The word minority gives feels like they don't belong.
Well, I suppose it's a bit of an oxymoron because minority and majority mean completely different things, but the meaning is pretty obvious - a city in a white-majority country which is now white-minority (apply to any other country in the world regardless of race).

Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose it's a bit of an oxymoron because minority and majority mean completely different things, but the meaning is pretty obvious - a city in a white-majority country which is now white-minority (apply to any other country in the world regardless of race).
My take is that non dominate ethnic groups in the UK shouldn't be labelled minority we don't need to be reminded that we're a minority its obvious if you watch tv etc.

It should be S. Asian make up 4% of the population etc not "S. Asian are a minority group and make up 4% of the pop" 90% vs 4% its obvious that S Asians are a minority - that is my argument.

I also wish we did away of ethnic group because most people don't really though what that means. Just use the phrase "cultural group" Ethno - cultural would be more accurate but again people will get confused...

For example South Asian isn't a ethnic group genetically its just a geographic region. For example a Northern Pakistani and a Sri Lankan are both in the same ethnic group according to the UK census? Hmm

"There are many cultural groups in the UK including Punjabis, Anglo - Caribbeans / West Indians etc

Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Quote:
We know that!
Then why'd you ask in the OP?

Quote:
No, the meaning seems reasonable. As in a majority of the residents are minority groups of that country.

Quote:
The word minority gives feels like they don't belong
Don't think it does. Seems like you're trying to make a big deal out of a definition.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,895,611 times
The term "ethnic" is stupid! Last time I checked aren't "whites" "ethnic" as well? I can't stand these sociopolitical marketing tool gimmicks and semantics.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,895,611 times
Quote:
LOL. Hispanic as a term sounds odd why can't people from "below the US" just be called Spanish American?

No need to get rude here...
A lot of of Hispanics and non Hispanics in the USA use the term "Spanish" to refer to people with roots from Spanish speaking countries even though it is somewhat flawed to do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World