Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,302,429 times

Advertisements

Got this idea from the US state thread and decided to broaden it. So, how many states or provinces do you know in other countries? State your current country then name as many as you know off the top of your head. I am American and the ones I know are:

Canada: Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, Labrador. The non provinces; Northwest Territories, Nunavuk, Yukon.

Mexico: Baja California (norte and sur), Sonora, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Tbasco, Jalisco.

Belgium: West Flanders, East Flanders, Antwerp, Limburg, Liege, Hainaut, Brabant, Luxembourg, Namur

Netherlands: Holland, Limburg, Noord Brabant,

That's all for now.

Last edited by Gentoo; 10-07-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,425,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Got this idea from the US state thread and decided to broaden it. So, how many state of provinces do you know in other countries? State your current country then name as many as you know off the top of your head. I am American and the ones I know are:

Canada: Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, Labrador. The non provinces; Northwest Territories, Nunavuk, Yukon.

Mexico: Baja California (norte and sur), Sonora, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Tbasco, Jalisco.
These plus Bavaria, Victoria, New South Wales, Tasmania, Western Australia.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,515,996 times
USA and Canada: all of them

Germany: Bavaria, Badem Württemberg, Schleswig Holstein, Brandenburg

Mexico: Sonora, Tamaulipas, Quintana Roo, Distrito Federal, Chihuahua, Puebla, Oaxaca, Baja, Jalisco

India: Punjab, Maharastra, Goa, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, West Bengal

I can actually probably name all of the states of India except some of the ones in the Eastern handle part, and all of Mexico's, the names are just out of mind right now.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,338,548 times
Current country: Canada

USA: All of them

I think I can get all Mexicans states....
Mexico: Baja norte, Baja sur, Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Queretaro, Jalisco, San Luis Potosi, Durango, Nayarit, Guerrero, Veracruz, Puebla, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco, Yucatan, Campeche, Quintana roo, Zacatecas and Tlaxcala? and Mexico.

Colombia: Valle del Cauca, Antioquia, La guaira?

I could probably name most places in Central American countries.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,302,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Mexico: Baja norte, Baja sur, Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Queretaro, Jalisco, San Luis Potosi, Durango, Nayarit, Guerrero, Veracruz, Puebla, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco, Yucatan, Campeche, Quintana roo, Zacatecas and Tlaxcala? and Mexico.

Colombia: Valle del Cauca, Antioquia, La guaira?

I could probably name most places in Central American countries.
You reminded me of a few Mexican ones I forgot. Mexico has like 31 in all.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Mexico: Baja norte, Baja sur, Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Queretaro, Jalisco, San Luis Potosi, Durango, Nayarit, Guerrero, Veracruz, Puebla, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco, Yucatan, Campeche, Quintana roo, Zacatecas and Tlaxcala? and Mexico
And Colima and Coahuila and Michoacán. Along with the others mentioned already.

Now I'll try Brazil: Amapa, Acre, Santa Catarina, Rio Grande do Sul, Ceara, Tocantins, Amazonas, Pernambuco, Mato Grosso, Minais Gerais, São Paulo, Distrito Federal, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Now South Africa: Western Cape, Gauteng, Kwazulu-Natal, Mpumalanga, and I give up.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 AM

10,633 posts, read 15,956,880 times
Argentina: Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Mendoza, Santa Fe, Santa Cruz.

Brazil: Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Minas Gerais, Amazonas, Santa Catarina, Rio Grande do Sul, Pernambuco, Parana, Espirito Santo, Goias, Mato Grosso, Ceara, Para.

USA: All.

Canada: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scota, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon, Nuvanut, Northwest Territories.

England: Greater London, Essex, Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, West Midlands, Norfolk, Suffolk, Tyne and Wear, Merseyside, Greater Manchester.

Netherlands: All.

Belgium: West Flanders, East Flanders, Brussels, Antwerp, Limburg, Liege, Namur, Luxembourg, Flemish Brabant, Walloon Brabant.

Thailand: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Lampun, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Chaiyapum, Khon Kaen, Loei, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Kalasin, Roi Et, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, Surin, Buriram, Nakhon Ratchasima, Ang Thong, Lopburi, Saraburi, Singburi, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Krung Thep, Samut Prakan, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Phattalung, Satun, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat.

Thailand has to be in the top 5 countries of the world with the most provinces (76), IMO way to much, over half of them should fuse.

Those that i always forget about... Phayao, Uttaradit, Nong Bua Lamphu, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Maha Sarakham, Sa Kaew, Chachoengsao, Prachinburi, Nakhon Nayok, Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat.

The provinces South of Bangkok are a lot easier to remember, the North just has to many provinces named Nakhon .....

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,321,782 times
Austria: Naturally, all of them
Vorarlberg, Tyrol, Carinthia, Salzburg, Styria, Upper Austria, Lower Austria, Vienna, Burgenland

Germany: (not sure about all the English names…)
Bayern, Baden-Württemberg, Hessen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen, Schleswig-Holstein, Niedersachsen, Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Saarland
Missing: Rheinland-Pfalz, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Thüringen
I know most of them just from TV and probably couldn’t put them on a map… Neither do I know which cities are in which state.

Switzerland: (same here)
Schwyz, Uri, Unterwalden, St. Gallen, Tessin, Bern, Zug, Luzern, Zürich, Basel Stadt, Basel Land, Appenzell Innerhoden, Appenzell Ausserhoden, Jura, Genf
Missing: Quite a lot. Only got 15 out of 26…

Netherlands:
Limburg, North Holland, South Holland, Utrecht, Friesland, Zeeland
Missing: Drenthe, Flevoland, Gelderland, Groningen, North Brabant, Overijssel. Meh…

Spain:
Madrid, Valencia, Catalonia, Andalucia, Extremadura, Galicia, Asturias, Basque Country, Aragon (thanks Lord of the Rings), two Castillas (always confuse them…), Rioja, Islas Baleares
Missing: Got 13 out of 17 right.

France:
Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrenees, Brittany, Rhone-Alpes, Burgundy, Lorraine, Ile de France, Normandy (apparently there are two?), Provence-something-something
Missing: Too many…

Italy: I only know the German names… Translated them into English after guessing.
South Tyrol-Trentino, Tuscany, Sardinia, Sicily, Calabria, Friuli-Venezia-Giulia (thought it’s only „Friuli“), Aosta Valley, Lombardy, Veneto, Lazio
Missing: Quite a few… Heard of a couple more, but couldn’t remember them properly.

Belgium:
I only really know the division between Flanders and Wallonia. And that there is a province called Luxembourg.

Canada:
British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Yukon
Missing: Forgot about New Brunswick, which I definitely know by name. I didn’t know how to spell „Saskatchewan so I didn’t even bother. Heard about Nunavut and Northwest Territories as well. I genuinely didn’t know about Prince Edward Island.

US:
Heard about all of them. Probably couldn’t remember all of them when asked ad hoc…

Mexico:
Baja California (thought there was only one, which is wrong…), Sonora, Chihuahua, Veracruz, Tabasco, Yucatan, Oaxaca, Distrito Federal

China:
Guangdong, Beijing, Shanghai, Sichuan, Tibet, some Uyghur region…, Inner Mongolia, Hunan, Hebei, Tianjin, Heilongjian, Yunnan, Hubei, Shandong, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR
There was a map of China at my desk in Hong Kong… Still not that many

Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,388,742 times
Canada : All 10 Provinces and 3 Territories
Japan : All 47 Prefectures
Germany : All 16 States
Norway : Oslo, Rogaland, Hordaland, Troms, Finnmark
Italy : Lazio, Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto, Sicily
Netherlands : North Holland, South Holland, Friesland, Zeeland, Limburg, Groningen

Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 AM

10,633 posts, read 15,956,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Netherlands : North Holland, South Holland, Friesland, Zeeland, Limburg, Groningen
Surprised you know Limburg and Groningen but not Utrecht and North Brabant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World