Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,050,410 times

Advertisements

In most prosperous countries, workers take vacation or holiday time. The majority of first-world countries even require employers to provide this time, sometimes in abundance. Even in the US, which is famously vacation-averse and does not require companies to provide any time off, most full-time jobs will provide at least some paid time off.

In the Upper Midwest US, I find that most people prefer to take their vacations in winter, usually to warmer climes. Winter is very long here so people who can fly out as often as possible to escape it, although there are some folks, such as snowmobilers and XC skiiers, who have desensitized themselves to the cold and actually enjoy winter. Often people take shorter vacations in the summer, generally to regional destinations, often for fishing, boating, jet-skiing, inner tubing, camping / RVing, and four-wheeling. This is often accomplished over a long weekend, though.

Early fall is the most beautiful season locally and merits staying home, although road trips and fall festivals (Oktoberfest, festivals celebrating harvests, Renaissance Festival, etc.) are popular at this time of the year. Late fall and spring kind of blend in with winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:02 AM

10,652 posts, read 15,924,390 times
I guess for most Dutch that travel abroad its right now, the weather starts to suck and the kids have 2 weeks off from school.

During summer most Dutch people like to stay within Europe.

During winter the Dutch like to go on wintersport in Austria or go to a country outside Europe where its warm (Southern US, Southeast Asia).

Last edited by Davy-040; 10-09-2014 at 05:15 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 AM

61,153 posts, read 85,977,665 times
Lots of people prefer early Fall, when the tourists and their kids are gone, and the weather is still nice and warm. The after season prices are also very appealing.
I take my main vacation between Sept. 15th and Oct. 15th

Old 10-09-2014, 05:24 AM

5,022 posts, read 7,432,832 times
Lol, I am sure the majority of people in Brisbane take their vacations on the Beaches of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts during school holidays, about and hour north or south of the City. They might go up to Cairns during the winter months so they stay warmer or down to Sydney or Melbourne during the summer. A flight to Indonesia or Thailand if they can afford it, migrants might go back to their country of birth to visit relatives, (which is how we spend most of our holidays).

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-09-2014 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,001,476 times
Most American people I know take vacation/holiday during the months of July & August. But there are some people who travel for the week between Christmas & New Year's and others who take vacation/holiday during the week of Thanksgiving being that the day before Thanksgiving is considered the busiest travel of the year in the USA.

I know in Israel people also take summer vacations during July and even more so during August. But there are 2 other travel periods that many people travel and they are the week long holiday of Sukkot/Succot (in the fall) as well as the week of Passover (in the spring).

I remember when I lived in France as a child everyone took vacation/holidays during August which I believe is still true today.

In China many people travel during the approx. 3-4 week holiday period for the Chinese New Year which is during the winter.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,510,171 times
December/January is the time where most of people take holidays, because of Christmas and New Year, and because of the schools stop. March/April/May is more demanded by single people because Brazil has many holidays in these months.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,348,768 times
In Taiwan it's summer. When the kids are having their long vacations, those economically capable parents would take them abroad. The destinations are quite diverse. The most popular choice is usually Japan(I can't count the number of the people around me that have gone to Japan for a trip this year), the richer ones would go to Europe.
Many travel within the island as well. China, SE Asia, and Korea are also popular destinations.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,663,635 times
July is the most popular time to take the vacations. Many want to enjoy the Finnish summer that doesn't last forever, hit the cottage and spend time with friends and family. Some people go snowbirding to SE Asia in Christmastime or February, but of course that is rather expensive. Others again go skiing to Lapland or the Alps. But these are usually for a week, snowbirds maybe two. The vast majority prefer to have their main vacation in summer. With children, it's the only realistic time anyway. Long weekend trips to Italy, UK, France or Spain are also fairly popular.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,254,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most American people I know take vacation/holiday during the months of July & August. But there are some people who travel for the week between Christmas & New Year's and others who take vacation/holiday during the week of Thanksgiving being that the day before Thanksgiving is considered the busiest travel of the year in the USA.

I know in Israel people also take summer vacations during July and even more so during August. But there are 2 other travel periods that many people travel and they are the week long holiday of Sukkot/Succot (in the fall) as well as the week of Passover (in the spring).

I remember when I lived in France as a child everyone took vacation/holidays during August which I believe is still true today.

In China many people travel during the approx. 3-4 week holiday period for the Chinese New Year which is during the winter.
Most of the folks I know take a summer vacation when they head up to the cottages on the lakes and mountains.
Then, in the winter, they head south....to Jamaica, Cuba, Barbados, Costa Rica, etc.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:27 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,609,671 times
August
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World