Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 04:21 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times

Advertisements

Is it fair to say that the following temperate Southern Hemisphere lands have parallels with the following parts of North America:

Chile ~= West Coast (Baja California to Alaska Panhandle)

Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay/interior of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil ~= Midwest and Great Plains and perhaps southern Prairie Provinces (minus harsh subzero winters), along with northeast Mexico/Texas/Oklahoma and Louisiana/Arkansas and also mountains of New Mexico/Colorado/Wyoming/Montana - most stereotypically like Midwest (e.g. Buenos Aires ~= Chicago) and/or Texas (e.g. ranching culture, inclination towards eating lots of steak); in short, much like North America's mid-section

southern Brazil (excluding Rio Grande do Sul interior) ~= North Carolina/Deep South/Florida (although large German concentrations and progressive values there are more reminiscent of parts of Midwest)

Australia ~= American West, including California (e.g. water issues, surfing culture, Sydney or Melbourne ~= kind of smaller versions of Los Angeles or SF Bay Area) and perhaps Oregon/Washington, plus northwest and western Mexico - although Queensland coast and Top End ~= Florida, Caribbean, and much of Mexican/Central American coast; could also be compared to Texas perhaps, to some degree

New Zealand ~= British Columbia (and maybe Washington State and Oregon too)

Southern Africa ~= American Southwest, including S. California, plus northwest and western Mexico (in terms of physical geography - although Natal coast ~= Florida), or the Deep South (in terms of racial history)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 05:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Chile ~= West Coast (Baja California to Alaska Panhandle)
This may be the closest of your examples. Even then, the Andes act to make for some notable differences.

Quote:
southern Brazil (excluding Rio Grande do Sul interior) ~= North Carolina/Deep South/Florida
Wouldn't southern Brazil be less tropical and more temperate? If so, it certainly wouldn't be like South Florida. I would say more like Texas.

Quote:
Australia ~= American West, including California
What part of Australia and what parts of the American west AND what parts of California?

Quote:
Melbourne ~= kind of smaller versions of Los Angeles or SF Bay Area
I've heard this comparison before as well. It can't be both at once though as SF is cooler and wetter than LA.
Quote:
and perhaps Oregon/Washington, plus northwest and western Mexico
Unless you're talking about eastern portions of Washington and Oregon which are desert or near desert, it can't also be like western and northwestern Mexico as that's real desert.
Quote:
New Zealand ~= British Columbia (and maybe Washington State and Oregon too)
this makes sense. Both regions can at times even resemble one another.
Quote:
Southern Africa ~= American Southwest, including S. California, plus northwest and western Mexico
I can see that.
Quote:
or the Deep South (in terms of racial history)
Definitely similarities here as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Wouldn't southern Brazil be less tropical and more temperate? If so, it certainly wouldn't be like South Florida. I would say more like Texas.
Southern Brazil away from the western interior of Rio Grande do Sul would be like the Deep South, from East Texas to northern Florida to the foothills of the southern Appalachians. Though Sao Paulo state would be a bit more like Florida as a whole, with the coast above Santos (and certainly once you're in Rio de Janeiro state) resembling Central and South Florida.

Quote:
What part of Australia and what parts of the American west AND what parts of California?
Australia as a whole (and there are many exceptions). I include California in the American West.

Quote:
I've heard this comparison before as well. It can't be both at once though as SF is cooler and wetter than LA. Unless you're talking about eastern portions of Washington and Oregon which are desert or near desert, it can't also be like western and northwestern Mexico as that's real desert. this makes sense. Both regions can at times even resemble one another.I can see that. Definitely similarities here as well.
I'm not implying SF and LA at once, or Sydney and Melbourne at once. In various criteria, the similarities go differently - e.g. SF is cooler than LA, and Melbourne is cooler than Sydney. But Melbourne sprawls more like LA, and Melbourne has cable cars like SF. Sydney is scenic like SF, while Melbourne is comparatively humdrum just like LA.

What I was saying about Oregon/Washington and Mexico was that Tasmania is reminiscent of the Oregon/Washington coast, and eastern Oregon/Washington and northern/western Mexico are varying degrees of desert just as most of Australia is varying degrees of desert.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
How are Australian States and American States Different? | go study in australia
I've read this article a while ago and it was very interesting to me!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
How are Australian States and American States Different? | go study in australia
I've read this article a while ago and it was very interesting to me
How hilarious! Firstly, Northern California is not a state LOL. Secondly, California is called "The Golden State", not the grape state (like what the hell???LOL) San Francisco as the most livable city??? Not for normal working class people that's for damn sure.

Then there's Washington. It's known for apples yes but that's not it's nickname LOL It's called "The Evergreen State". Washington's state mammal is not a wolf. It's the Olympic Marmot. The state Marine Mammal is the Killer Whale (Orca).

And New Mexico is not The Cactus State, it's "The Land Of Enchantment" LOL

Oh man, thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Its not bad, made me laugh

Notable figure: NY = Batman, Melbourne = John Batman. lol

Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
I know they tried hard to fit in those categories anyhow though some facts it seems kinda legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World