Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,846,050 times

Advertisements

Climate wise, Los Angeles.

Culture, Rio.

Safety, LA.

Recreation, LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 05:32 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,826,001 times
1. Culture and arts
In my opinion Rio.... Not crazy about fake LA culture!

2. Climate
LA nice sunny but not hot

3. Geography
Rio is impressive with its mountains around the city, but LA has beautiful deserts, mountains, beaches outside the city as well, it's a TIE

4. Mass Transit
Rio is pedestrian centric!!

5. Ethnic diversity
Rio is more interesting, I am not that crazy about LA diversity covered with a fake south Cali brush!

6. Entertainment/Nightlife
Rio BY FAR

7. Recreation/Outdoor activities
LA perhaps

8. Architecture
TIE

9. Restaurants/Culinary scene
LA more international

Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,760,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
1. Culture and arts
In my opinion Rio.... Not crazy about fake LA culture!
Something tells me you've never been to Rio and your view of LA is uninformed and shallow. I love Rio (and I have been there) but LA's culture and arts outpace Rio. In art museums alone LA has far more choices than Rio. The Los Angeles Philharmonic is traditionally ranked among the best and most accomplished in the world.
World's Best Symphony Orchestras (Top 20 List)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

5. Ethnic diversity
Rio is more interesting, I am not that crazy about LA diversity covered with a fake south Cali brush!
LA's diversity is fake? Rio's foreign born population is tiny compared to LA which is an international city with immigrants from all over the globe.

Foreign born - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,228,920 times
Lived in LA for about a decade. Visited Rio more than 10 times. Here is my point of view:

Geography: Rio. Not city beats Rio in terms of beauty. Even the favelas are pretty from farther away. Rios beaches are amazing, LA's aren't nearly as beautiful. LAs mountains have beauty to them, but not nearly the same as Rio. From a fauna standpoint, Rio again wins by far.

Safety: LA. LA has dangerous areas, but they don't compare to Rio's

Traffic: LA. I would say the both suck, but LAs is less bad...Rios can be ridiculously bad at points.

Public transport: Rio. Rio is not good, but is getting much better, due to the Olympics. LA's public transport is pretty sad.

Climate: LA. LA wins here, as Rio can get unbearable more often.

Architecture: Hmm, maybe Rio. I don't love LAs, it is pretty weak for a city its size.

Restaurants: Both have a good restaurant scene, but I guess I would go with LA.

Nightlife: Rio, I didn't love LAs nightlife scene, it was kind of annoying to me. Shallow and fake.

Recreation/Outdoors: Tough call. I was in the mountains nearly every weekend I lived in LA. I'd call this a tie, as there is just a ton to do in both cities. Rio's is prettier, but you can do tons in both.

Diversity: Not sure how to evaluate this. Rio's residents are all the colors of the spectrum, from super white to very black. LA has people from all over the world converging on one place. Culturally, I would go with LA.

Arts - I'd say LA, it is home to many creative people, hence there is a large creative scene.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM

14,206 posts, read 11,479,494 times
I haven't been to Rio but my husband's parents emigrated from southern Brazil to LA 50 years ago and have never looked back. Some of their extended family is still there but trying to get out. So for them at any rate, LA is the better place to live...safer, more opportunities.

About those LA-area pictures, the third one is looking down at Corona del Mar. I've walked down (and up!) that walkway many, many a time. Watched the house closest to the viewer being built over the years...and wondered why they made it so ugly...

The last picture could be looking down at Oso Reservoir. But I'm not sure, there are a lot of spots that look like that.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,423,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Something tells me you've never been to Rio and your view of LA is uninformed and shallow. I love Rio (and I have been there) but LA's culture and arts outpace Rio. In art museums alone LA has far more choices than Rio. The Los Angeles Philharmonic is traditionally ranked among the best and most accomplished in the world.
World's Best Symphony Orchestras (Top 20 List)
Man, culturally LA dont get even close. I love LA and California, but you´re been too much pretentious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I haven't been to Rio but my husband's parents emigrated from southern Brazil to LA 50 years ago and have never looked back. Some of their extended family is still there but trying to get out. So for them at any rate, LA is the better place to live...safer, more opportunities.
Brazilians use to think making more money (what not always happen...) will make then more happy.
Many brazilians fit into american life, but many and many others come back...
There´s nothing to do with this comparison between cities.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,423,773 times
It is estimated that 1/3 of brazilians living in USA had came back this decade (its also true that many of them are having difficulties in the re-adaptation), and many others are planning to come back.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,393,596 times
I vote for Rio. Have visited Rio multiple times. My wife is from the state of Bahia , Brasil, from a smaller city called Paulo Alfonso. Have visited LA, prefer Rio because of beauty, parks, food, and culture.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM

25 posts, read 80,976 times
Have lived in both.

LA - better climate, more cultural diversity, more economic vibrance, more cultural attractions, safer

Rio - better physical beauty, better nightlife, better beach life, better walk ability

Basically equal - public transport, quality of food

If given a choice, I would choose LA every time

Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 AM

412 posts, read 542,258 times
Rio wins the scenery aspect by far.

LA would be safer and maybe more stable. LA would probably win weather wise as well. Rio is hot and steamy.

Rio is like the LA of Brazil but they are not quite the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World