Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,703,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The people I know who don't drink (except for a few Muslims) do so for personal as opposed to religious reasons: either they used to drink at one point but drank way too much so they don't trust themselves with any booze anymore, or they had an alcoholic abusive member of their family and this turned them off alcohol or even made them afraid of it.
Yeah, same reasons here. Or simply for health reasons. My grandfather has a heart condition, so he stopped drinking almost completely. One beer or glass of wine is the most you'll see him drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:17 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,774,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
, and having a beer at lunch hour is not acceptable at all. .
It's 50-50 here. Certainly if you are eating in the lunchroom at work on a regular day then it's unacceptable to have alcohol. You might have special receptions for an occasion of some kind in the workplace where booze is served however. This is common around Christmas time for example. Or when someone is retiring.

If you go out for lunch during a workday to a restaurant it's generally acceptable to have a beer or a glass of wine, although some people do refrain from doing this. Typically if you are with a group maybe half will have alcohol and the other half will not and say jokingly "I am going back to work after this and won't be productive if I drink".

Of course it's not acceptable to come back to the office drunk after lunch.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,195,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
That's ludicrous! Look at the Republic of Ireland and all the pubs. Almost everyone is Catholic.
Not under 18.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,703,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you go out for lunch during a workday to a restaurant it's generally acceptable to have a beer or a glass of wine, although some people do refrain from doing this. Typically if you are with a group maybe half will have alcohol and the other half will not and say jokingly "I am going back to work after this and won't be productive if I drink".
Zero tolerance to that here, maybe except for traditionally heavy-drinking workplaces like construction.

If someone retires here, they serve you cake, coffee and cookies.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 AM

I think he forgets hes French and alcohol is their culture

Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Zero tolerance to that here, maybe except for traditionally heavy-drinking workplaces like construction.

If someone retires here, they serve you cake, coffee and cookies.
That seems excessive to me anyway, but maybe there were lots of abuses in the past. That's often why crackdowns occur.

Here alcohol is officially forbidden in many, many workplaces, but a glass or two on special occasions is tolerated almost everywhere.

Just like Canadian laws that say it's illegal to drink in public places like parks, etc. In Quebec there is generally a high level of tolerance provided you are not getting drunk or being a jerk. Generally no one from the police will bother with a couple or a family having wine with their picnic for example.

In other parts of Canada things appear to be a bit stricter.

For example, for those who can read French, this article made me smile.

We are two cities in two provinces right next to each other. Officers working for a federal agency patrol federal properties on both sides of the border. It's often the same officers. It was found that these same officers are much more likely to give out fines for public alcohol consumption in Ottawa, Ontario than in Gatineau, Quebec. On the Quebec side for some reason they seem more likely to give out warnings. The organization they work for has flatly denied there is any differentiation based on the province they are in, but this is hard to believe when you look at the numbers...

Plus d'amendes en Ontario, plus d'avertissements au Québec | Jonathan Blouin | Justice et faits divers

Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I think he forgets hes French and alcohol is their culture
I am not "French". I am Canadian.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,609,344 times
I used to work for a magazine when I lived in London, and the boss would take us out for a meal and a couple of drinks at lunchtime on the last Friday of the month just after the magazine had gone to print. Essentially, this meant that the last Friday morning of the month was always a rush to get the whole day's work done before lunch, since none of us would feel like doing anything productive afterwards, and the afternoon would feel like a waste of time. I'd have preferred it if we could have just left work an hour early instead and gone drinking then.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Judging from the very predominantly and historically Catholic countries of the world, free-flowing alcohol seems to go hand in hand with that religion. Which is only normal: the blood of Christ and communion and all that.

Places where Catholicism has taken an anti-alcohol turn seem to be where the population is predominantly of another religion (often Protestantism) and so Catholicism there often takes on a more teetotalling/prohibitionist side that it gets almost from osmosis. From rubbing shoulders with other religions.

Sort of like a lot of Christians in the Middle East sometimes observe a "light" form of Ramadan.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 AM

I never take wine for communion. I don't know what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World