Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:06 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,191,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I'm a smoker, but doing an effort to quit.

I love being drunk, but definitely don't appreciate people being totally wasted. Being tipsy has maybe another meaning here, as it means less drunk. If Finland is known for anything in this world it's Mika Häkkinen, Nokia, and being severely drunk.

edit: I'm drunk now, as I'm off. HA, HA!
Oh good! I like to see people quitting!

My aunt quit and so did my granny very proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM

26,768 posts, read 37,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Wow! I didn't know that. Like you said, alcohol laws are very strictly enforced in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I am not sure a bunch of 15-year-olds with New Hampshire High School Lacrosse Champs jackets would get in to one of these places where many patrons are underaged, though...

Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,668,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Laws and problems: In Canada drunk driving laws are federal but other alcohol laws are provincial. As sandman said the trouble you get in while driving varies from .05 to .08. At .05 you get your car impounded and licence suspended for 12 hours I think. But it's not a criminal offence. At .08 you get a criminal record and can face jail time, and lose your licence.

The legal drinking age in Quebec is 18. In practice many bars will have people as young as 14-15 in them in Quebec. Certainly there are tons of 16-17 year olds in bars that cater to a younger crowd. IDs are sometimes checked but in many bars it is very laxed. Some bars may check your ID if you are not speaking French as this likely means you're not from Quebec and in their minds, more likely to make trouble. (See below for more details.)

Drunk driving in Finland is considered as an extremely despicable offence, unless you're a chav. The limit is .005 for regular, and .012 for aggravated. The sentence is a fine and a temporary loss of licence for a first-timer, aggravated bans your licence at least for 6 months and at worst 5 years! Being tipsy and driving home is not accepted at all. All suspects are hauled to the hospital for blood tests, and aggravated DUI is also also a legit reason for a suspended jail sentence. Cops may use an alcometer whenever they want on you and it's perfectly legal. I repeat, drunk driving in Finland is not acceptable and I encourage everyone everywhere you are to have absolute zero tolerance!

Legal drinking age is 18, hard liquor 20. The alcohol laws are quite complex, but you may introduce your children to alcohol, but you cannot sell or distribute it in public. Bars and nightclubs always ask for your ID if you're under 30 or aging prematurely. In drinking establishments you are allowed to serve hard liquor to persons of 18 as well. (Controlled environment says the law.) Kebab joints or financially stricken bars may sell alcohol to minors, but this is rather rare.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm a smoker, but doing an effort to quit.

I love being drunk, but definitely don't appreciate people being totally wasted. Being tipsy has maybe another meaning here, as it means less drunk. If Finland is known for anything in this world it's Mika Häkkinen, Nokia, and being severely drunk.

edit: I'm drunk now, as I'm off. HA, HA!
Ariete you keep saying you are drunk but to me when you are drunk you can't walk or do anything really. I think you mean tipsy

Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Tipsy to me is still a form of drunkenness. Though not extremely drunk. Your behaviour is altered for sure. The French word for this is "pompette". You wouldn't want to drive in that state, but if you wait half an hour or an hour, you'd probably be OK.
The word is somewhat familiar to me, but that's not what I'm reaching for. Très pompettes would be the correct one here, as the level of being drunk is higher.

Being in the state of "pompette", is known here as "nousu", which means "being on the rise". It's the starting ground for something higher, which usually means more drunk.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 PM

26,768 posts, read 37,699,869 times
Quote:
Drunk driving in Finland is considered as an extremely despicable offence, unless you're a chav. The limit is .005 for regular, and .012 for aggravated. The sentence is a fine and a temporary loss of licence for a first-timer, aggravated bans your licence at least for 6 months and at worst 5 years! Being tipsy and driving home is not accepted at all. All suspects are hauled to the hospital for blood tests, and aggravated DUI is also also a legit reason for a suspended jail sentence. Cops may use an alcometer whenever they want on you and it's perfectly legal. I repeat, drunk driving in Finland is not acceptable and I encourage everyone everywhere you are to have absolute zero tolerance!

It's the same here now. Drunk driving is no longer a joking matter like it was in the 70s and 80s.

Here the blood alcohol limit is zero for young drivers 21 years of age and under.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM

8,844 posts, read 8,352,061 times
What estimated proportion of the adult population drinks?
Honestly, I have no idea. Most people around me don't really drink that much. Anyway I guess most of them drink beers or wine every now and then.

Is it socially acceptable to drink, and if so, how much?
I guess it's not that different from other countries out there. It is socially acceptable of course.

Is a bottle of wine or liquor a gift you would give to most anyone and assume that that's OK?
I wouldn't buy a bottle of wine as a gift, but that's mostly because people around me don't drink.
I suppose it's perfectly ok and quite popular, if your friends enjoy drinking.

What social problems if any are associated with drinking and how bad are they?
Oh this...drunk driving and moronic bar fights.
Drunk driving has been killing a ton of people, and the best solution our legislators could come up with is aggravating the penalty. They are just as moronic as those idiots involved in those petty bar fights tbqh. Have no common sense whatsoever.

What are your alcohol and drinking laws and how strictly are they enforced?
You can drink as long as you're more than 18. I suppose if you're under 18 the vendors wouldn't sell alcohol to you(check your id and stuff), but I don't really know how strictly the laws are enforced as I have never really bought any myself.

When do young people typically start drinking (with and without parental permission)?
People around me, probably since college. The rest of them, I have no idea.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Ariete you keep saying you are drunk but to me when you are drunk you can't walk or do anything really. I think you mean tipsy
Let me educate you on this. Yes, when you are familiar with alcohol you can cope with yourself. I can type without typos, I can walk perfectly well, the coordination thing hits you only when you are totally wasted. While I realise my reaction time is lower, that doesn't affect my personal life. I'm still in the state telling MY personal life.

Being drunk does not mean like being: hgfkgfgfkdfmndndnssnsn HAAAAA BIAAAATCH gfdjnfdsjasjjasssss I was saying something, but gfjdnnsjjfjdskasssssss

Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Yea so you aren't drunk

Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yea so you aren't drunk
Is this a challenge?

No, seriously. I can assure you I past the level of being tipsy, but... I heard thunder! Gotta go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World