Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,510,768 times

Advertisements

Sin Corp. (Sudbury branch) is run by about ten old people protesting abortion outside our health centre on mild weekday mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:36 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,479,580 times

Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
According to the Holy Bible, sin is sin. Do not exist big sin or little sin.
That's how I understand.
So, lusting in my heart is just as bad as my killing someone?
Looks like I'm going straight to hell.
Not a problem, however, with all the flame retardants coursing through our systems

Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 AM

9,309 posts, read 14,209,477 times
In my community, sin means missing the mark, missing the point, making a mistake, any of your own thought or behavior that alienates you in your relationship with God.

To put it another way, anything you do to yourself, which may or may not involve others, that is willfully self-destructive and dissipates your creative energy, anything that is unloving or, to the extreme, that is hateful.

Either way, though surely there are common social norms (e.g. what is legal and illegal) and community guidelines, it is ultimately personal business.

Last edited by bale002; 10-18-2014 at 05:15 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,851,387 times
No one calls it sin anymore, in our supposedly agnostic/atheistic new society but in practice we still have sin. There are of course things you just don't do. Murder is just wrong period. Even when killing someone to protect another, it is still controversial and considered a bad thing that had to be done. In these supposedly "atheist" new societies (like Quebec) it isn't like it is some sort of free for all. If people had no notion of what used to be called sin, we would be robbing each other and killing all the time. For the most part the rules of society carries on largely like it did a century ago even if we try to pretend like we are so liberated.

No one wants their daughter to be a prostitute even if she could make great money. Very few parents would say "well good job you are doing what makes you happy". No one wants their son to be a kingpin. In a world free of some modern notion of sin, the local druglord would simply be the neighborhood bastion of free market capitalism. But we don't call it that, because we have this feeling that deep down there is something intrinsically wrong about what he is doing and people who do this kind of thing are viewed as bad people.

Without our notion of "sin" that still exists, the greatest job opportunity would be to pull off crimes. Think about it. Why work like a chump? Why get rejected by that girl you want? If we really had no more sin people would just do things they want. We would rob and kill and steal. Someone is rich? Kill him, take the money and pull off the crime. Let's face it, the cops usually don't catch criminals. But we don't do these things because most people find the idea of flat out robbing someone or especially killing them for something to be abhorrent. Chances are 90+ % you could rob a rich guy point blank the next time I am in some other state or city or especially another country, and I would easily get away with it. But very few of us will do it, even though logically we could get a huge payoff for far less effort than going to work everyday. So of course we have sin. But since we are supposedly so modern and progressive, we don't call it that anymore.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,239,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
This made me think. Man, Protestant heaven must be dull. Finns, Swedes, Danes, English, Germans and Dutch. Who are there anyway? Luther, Calvin, Peter Stuyvesant, Mannerheim, Carl von Clausewitz, Gustav Adolf II, Niels Bohr? Booooring. Hope Wellington has some good war stories at least.
the simpsons done a sketch where they had protestant heaven and catholic heaven

the people in protestant heaven played la crosse and tennis

catholic heaven ( italians , hispanics , irish )the people were either enjoying a big feast or fighting while drunk )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World