Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,569,860 times

Advertisements

I don't think Australians are really conscious of a multiracial national identity. The word ethnic is wrongly used to mean non-European, and the term Australian while obviously a nationality is sort of popularly reserved as a describer for those of European descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,445,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That usage definition is very specifically how Latinos in the US use "Anglo" as a word. Nobody else in the US uses "Anglo" as a distinct word in American parlance.
Well for better or worse, the USA has become a global authority on these things. When the people of the USA use a word to mean a certain thing, and it appears in American English dictionaries defined that way, it will catch on in other parts of the world. The fact that a certain group of people in the USA use it in that context is completely irrelevant.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,733,796 times
San Marino?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM

2,672 posts, read 5,439,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
So someone with parent born in another country or with parents born in another country will be considered from this country and not Australian ? If it's the case, Australia is not really what I thougt
No not at all. I wasn't born in Australia but came here as a child. People here consider me an Australian. I was born in Ireland and still consider myself Irish and because I came here as a child I've had people say I'm not Irish. I feel both Australian and Irish and don't feel any problems with this view.

My daughter though is Australian and considers herself as such (as does everyone else). People here consider Olivia Newton John and Mel Gibson as Aussies and they weren't born here.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:46 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,056,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
In Australia, some people ONLY call you "Australian" if you're of Anglo-Celtic descent.

So, if you're, say, half Italian and half English (or 10th generation Australian) they'd refer to you as "half Italian, half Aussie". Even the simpletons with mixed Anglo and non-Anglo heritage would say "I am half Aussie and half Greek"...It irks me so much. "Australian" is no ethnicity...

Americans at least say "half Irish, half Spanish", "Italian, German and Scottish", etc. No American has ever said "I'm American on one side and Scottish on the other". Lol!

And yet the stereotype is that Americans are stupid. At least they know their roots better than some of us clueless Aussies.
'some' people yes.

It could irk me to constantly be asked where I am 'from', but really - its not that big a deal.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,445,542 times
Quote:
So someone with parent born in another country or with parents born in another country will be considered from this country and not Australian ? If it's the case, Australia is not really what I thougt
If that were the case, half Australia's population would not be considered Australian, including my entire family, something I just cannot comprehend.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM

167 posts, read 408,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I don't think Australians are really conscious of a multiracial national identity. The word ethnic is wrongly used to mean non-European, and the term Australian while obviously a nationality is sort of popularly reserved as a describer for those of European descent.
Wow ok... I thougt Australia was more accepting than that. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed

Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,734,178 times
Quote:
Wow ok... I thougt Australia was more accepting than that. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed
One of the biggest celebrations in the Australian calendar is Australia day. One of the most significant aspects of that day that you'll see played out in towns and cities across the country are citizenship ceremonies. Those ceremonies are meant to be a pretty big event in the lives of people who have chosen to become "Australian". At those ceremonies you'll see people of all creeds and colours: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...=2560&bih=1288

To most being "ethnic" is not about race, its about cultural affinities; whether people identify culturally with Australia or not. You can certainly be white and still be considered "ethnic".

Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 PM

167 posts, read 408,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
One of the biggest celebrations in the Australian calendar is Australia day. One of the most significant aspects of that day that you'll see played out in towns and cities across the country are citizenship ceremonies. Those ceremonies are meant to be a pretty big event in the lives of people who have chosen to become "Australian". At those ceremonies you'll see people of all creeds and colours: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...=2560&bih=1288

To most being "ethnic" is not about race, its about cultural affinities; whether people identify culturally with Australia or not. You can certainly be white and still be considered "ethnic".
That sounds good Thank you for your informations

Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,831,048 times
Quote:
In the West, Australia is usually stereotyped is a racist country similarly to the USA.....I don't know what to tell ya. Australia isn't some racial utopia by any means. I played online games with Australians, and a lot of them I played with were from the capitals, and plenty were not, and usually the ones outside the capitals were racist and xenophobic, mostly towards Indians and the "boat people" which I guess means Indonesian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World