Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In the West, Australia is usually stereotyped is a racist country similarly to the USA.....I don't know what to tell ya. Australia isn't some racial utopia by any means. I played online games with Australians, and a lot of them I played with were from the capitals, and plenty were not, and usually the ones outside the capitals were racist and xenophobic, mostly towards Indians and the "boat people" which I guess means Indonesian
That may be a stereotype for Aus and USA; just like the stereotype for Europe is neo nazi skin heads, soccer hooligans and cities engulfed in race riots. Every country has a negative sterotype associated with it.

The "boat people" issue is about illegal immigration; similar to the debate in the US about illegals crossing the Mexican border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:58 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
In the West, Australia is usually stereotyped is a racist country similarly to the USA.....I don't know what to tell ya. Australia isn't some racial utopia by any means. I played online games with Australians, and a lot of them I played with were from the capitals, and plenty were not, and usually the ones outside the capitals were racist and xenophobic, mostly towards Indians and the "boat people" which I guess means Indonesian
Very few of them are Indonesian, it's certainly not a country associated with boat people. The most surprising thing about Indonesians in Australia is how few of them there are, certainly it's far more common to find people from the countries to Indonesia's north.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-03-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The majority of Australian's will agree with you on that one, but it's no where near as bad as the knockers like to make it out as either.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:28 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,160 times
Quote:
"boat people" which I guess means Indonesian
Indonesian is not the "boat people", you please find the link anywhere, the people of our country to live abroad only for school and work but not asylum seekers, unless you mean the people of Papuan maybe they have a purpose to it. but are not Indonesian ,10000000 % No ^^ ..

Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Indonesian is not the "boat people", you please find the link anywhere, the people of our country to live abroad only for school and work but not asylum seekers, unless you mean the people of Papuan maybe they have a purpose to it. but are not Indonesian ,10000000 % No ^^ ..
He said: "...which I guess means..."

That is not a definite assertion by any means.

But I never heard any provide the correct answer. When an Aussie says "boat people," who is it talking about in particular?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

But I never heard any provide the correct answer. When an Aussie says "boat people," who is it talking about in particular?
Generally people from the middle east these days, it may extend to South Asians. Only the most right leaning anti immigration type would place the term on East Asians. Black Africans may be broadly thought of as refugees, which of course is an entirely different concept to illegal immigrants.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

People who enter the country illegally by boat and then lodge a claim for asylum or refugee status. These days most pay organized people smuggling syndicates large sums of money to arrange their voyage, most of which is overland or by air through other countries before making the final part via boat.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:59 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Hello everyone. I want to know what you think about something :
Is there a country on this planet where national identity is not connected to "race", ancestry, place of birth, religion etc...
A country to which you can fully belong and be considered like a true 100% part, not a 2nd class citizen who hears that he's "not a true *name of a country*" just because of innate factors.

I ask this question because I've realized that a lot of people in a lot of countries sometimes make distinctions between people of the same nationality based on that kind of factors. So I would be interested in knowing if it's not the case somewhere

Thank you all for your answers

How one is treated in a country is quite different from whether or not one 'belongs' to/in a country in so far as their heritage, lineage, and roots go. I'm not the least bit racist, but heredity runs deep in many cultures and countries. Obviously, this does not make newcomers unwelcome, but they (whoever they are) are not going to 'belong' to a culture simply because they decided to relocate geographically.

I'll give you an example from the other side of the looking glass.

I live in Western Canada's mountains in arguably one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, but as much as I'm grateful to be here, and my husband is from here, and all my children were born here, I don't belong here culturally. I'm different. I'm Scottish, and my family goes back millennia there. My thought processes are different. My first language is different. My sense of humor is different. My skin color is different (VERY fair). And I love it here, but I'll never belong. I'm welcome and have good friends here, but I'll never be the same as someone who was born and raised here. It just can't happen. I'm Celtic through and through with Viking and Swedish blood in the mix centuries ago, but I couldn't be any more Northern Scots if I tried, and I'm always aware of that fact.

Indigenous peoples (I'm considered a 'native' where I come from) have certain gifts/senses and so on, and where I come from people are particularly attuned to kinetic energy, whereas Canadian-born Anglo-anything people are not. The First Nations (Canada's version of Native Americans) people here have their own peculiarities too, which aren't too different from mine, I find.

I could move to Maui tomorrow (a place I love and spend time in) but I'd no more 'belong' there than I do anywhere else, culturally speaking.

Go back far enough and we all come from Noah, I know, but a lot has transpired in these 4,000 years that has segmented people. It's neither a bad nor a good thing, it just is.

I don't believe what you are asking is possible at the core level of any country/culture. All people are equal, of course, but we're different at the same time.

Hope this makes some sense.

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 AM

167 posts, read 409,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
How one is treated in a country is quite different from whether or not one 'belongs' to/in a country in so far as their heritage, lineage, and roots go. I'm not the least bit racist, but heredity runs deep in many cultures and countries. Obviously, this does not make newcomers unwelcome, but they (whoever they are) are not going to 'belong' to a culture simply because they decided to relocate geographically.

I'll give you an example from the other side of the looking glass.

I live in Western Canada's mountains in arguably one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, but as much as I'm grateful to be here, and my husband is from here, and all my children were born here, I don't belong here culturally. I'm different. I'm Scottish, and my family goes back millennia there. My thought processes are different. My first language is different. My sense of humor is different. My skin color is different (VERY fair). And I love it here, but I'll never belong. I'm welcome and have good friends here, but I'll never be the same as someone who was born and raised here. It just can't happen. I'm Celtic through and through with Viking and Swedish blood in the mix centuries ago, but I couldn't be any more Northern Scots if I tried, and I'm always aware of that fact.

Indigenous peoples (I'm considered a 'native' where I come from) have certain gifts/senses and so on, and where I come from people are particularly attuned to kinetic energy, whereas Canadian-born Anglo-anything people are not. The First Nations (Canada's version of Native Americans) people here have their own peculiarities too, which aren't too different from mine, I find.

I could move to Maui tomorrow (a place I love and spend time in) but I'd no more 'belong' there than I do anywhere else, culturally speaking.

Go back far enough and we all come from Noah, I know, but a lot has transpired in these 4,000 years that has segmented people. It's neither a bad nor a good thing, it just is.

I don't believe what you are asking is possible at the core level of any country/culture. All people are equal, of course, but we're different at the same time.

Hope this makes some sense.

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.
Well thank you for sharing your experience I totally understand that a person from Scotland and proud of his culture and roots wouldn't feel like he belongs to another country even if he lives in it.

But my question was about something else. I know from experience that there is a lot of countries where someone with ancestry coming from somewhere else or of another "race" than the others would be seen as not belonging to the country by the majority of the population. Even if he only identifies with this country culturally and only speak the language of the place.

So I was wondering if a place where someone is considered like a "true" part of the country only based on cultural factors and not biological/hereditary factors

All the best

Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Well thank you for sharing your experience I totally understand that a person from Scotland and proud of his culture and roots wouldn't feel like he belongs to another country even if he lives in it.

But my question was about something else. I know from experience that there is a lot of countries where someone with ancestry coming from somewhere else or of another "race" than the others would be seen as not belonging to the country by the majority of the population. Even if he only identifies with this country culturally and only speak the language of the place.

So I was wondering if a place where someone is considered like a "true" part of the country only based on cultural factors and not biological/hereditary factors

All the best

Morning unlockin'!

I'm not sure I understand your question. I would like to say that while I do still feel the pull of my native land, I'm not *proud* of my heritage, as it just happens to be the place that I was born and my lineage was not of my choosing either. Too, I find little cause for pride in anything the human race has done since Cain slew Abel. I'd just like to be clear on that point.

If you are asking whether or not a person can be accepted by another country/culture as simply another human being, I would answer yes to that, as the world has become such a cosmopolitan place that most countries host many non-native cultures, and welcome them.

However, if you are asking whether or not a person can truly 'belong' to another country/culture, I don't think that's possible for the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

Am I missing something? I should like to understand your query properly.

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World