Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Hello everyone. I want to know what you think about something :
Is there a country on this planet where national identity is not connected to "race", ancestry, place of birth, religion etc...
A country to which you can fully belong and be considered like a true 100% part, not a 2nd class citizen who hears that he's "not a true *name of a country*" just because of innate factors.

I ask this question because I've realized that a lot of people in a lot of countries sometimes make distinctions beetween people of the same nationality based on that kind of factors. So I would be interested in knowing if it's not the case somewhere

Thank you all for your answers
Your question is confusing because, it seems, you're confusing the concepts of "national identity" with other factors which are situational.

For example, excluding the opinions of racists, an American can be anyone without that "national identity being connected to race, ancestry, place of birth, etc..".

However, some people are considered 2nd. class, 3rd. class, etc. citizens (usually based on income) but this does not remove them from being considered "100% American". In [U.S. of] America we 100% Americans tend to draw racial and economic distinctions and stereotypes among ourselves.

Briefly, among Americans there are distinctions made based on race, ancestry, place of birth, etc. but these distinctions are not made to differentiate one's % of "American".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:35 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Since spending time in England and Scotland, I have met English who only referred to themselves as British, Scots who would never refer to themselves as British, Welsh who couldn't give a f-, but were more or less proud to be Welsh, and Indians and Pakistanis who definitely considered themselves Indian and Pakistani and British.
I made similar observations. However, I gather this is true for only those who were born in Scotland, Wales, etc. Once their children, born and raised in England (proper), grow up they don't say, "I'm Welsh-British," or "I'm Pakistani-British".

Americans, on the other hand, often call themselves "Italian-Americans", etc. even after several generations have been born and raised in America. It's amusing how much this tends to annoy some Britons.

In the U.S.A., the British Royalty would be considered German-Americans, still, so it's probably a convenient thing King George III was dispossessed of this particular inconvenience.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Well... I didn't expect that thread to become a boxing ring...

Thank you for your answers anyway. I guess the answer to my question is : the USA, Canada and Australia. Is that correct ?

(And I really don't care about your politicals views on foreigner, indians, blacks or whatever)
Not quite, is really diverse here in America (in how people view themselves) some Americans of Mexican descent try to come off as more close to "Mexico" than they really are. however some of the most patriotic Americans you will meet are of Mexican descent.

Not like all this matters, 90 percent of our life we will a refer to each other by our names and not our country.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
People here are British if they were born here, or have lived here for practically all of their life, but admittedly more recent immigrants struggle to be considered British. I think accent and appearance are often bigger influences. I think black people in the UK are more likely to be considered British if they speak with one of the British accents, because usually their dress sense is typically Western, whereas many people of Asian ancestry wear traditional clothing from their homeland - especially women.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:24 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think black people in the UK are more likely to be considered British if they speak with one of the British accents, because usually their dress sense is typically Western
But, as I asked before, is a black person born in England, Scotland, Wales, or Ireland likely to be considered English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:27 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But, as I asked before, is a black person born in England, Scotland, Wales, or Ireland likely to be considered English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish?
Generally, no but some may say yes "I am a Scottish, I am English" etc but English etc is seen as an ethnic group, well it is.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People here are British if they were born here, or have lived here for practically all of their life, but admittedly more recent immigrants struggle to be considered British. I think accent and appearance are often bigger influences. I think black people in the UK are more likely to be considered British if they speak with one of the British accents, because usually their dress sense is typically Western, whereas many people of Asian ancestry wear traditional clothing from their homeland - especially women.
See. Last night P London called me a liar.

I told them it was different to America you have to be born here to be British. We don't classify you by your heritage either.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
You are a liar, and much more.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Black British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The term "black" has historically had a number of applications as a racial and political label, and may be used in a wider sociopolitical context to encompass a broader range of non-European ethnic minority populations in Britain, though this is a controversial and non-standard definition.[7]
Do people really just consider themselves just Black?

If so that makes sense, the term "Black British" just sounds funny, terms like "African-American and Asian-American" just have a nice flow it.

i think its strange how other countries use the term Afro-something but we don't use that term in America.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know about the latter three, but the former - yes, but ethnic minorities in the UK almost always identify as British, not English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish.

To the above - Black British is never used in real life. Black people in the UK are British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World