Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:02 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Black British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do people really just consider themselves just Black?

If so that makes sense, the term "Black British" just sounds funny, terms like "African-American and Asian-American" just have a nice flow it.

i think its strange how other countries use the term Afro-something but we don't use that term in America.
People never say in real life "I'm Black British" they may say I'm British if you ask them where there from (parents, grandparents etc) they may say "I'm Nigerian" or "My family are Ghanaian" etc people do say black too sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM

28,597 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
People never say in real life "I'm Black British" they may say I'm British if you ask them where there from (parents, grandparents etc) they may say "I'm Nigerian" or "My family are Ghanaian" etc people do say black too sometimes.
I'm suspecting blacks in Britain will say "black" the way a Japanese, Chinese, or Korean outside of Asia are among non-Asians might refer to himself as "Asian," but would not refer to himself among other Asians as "Asian", but rather by nationality.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times
Personally I use the word "black" very rarely but some will say "oh the black guy" when they don't know where the person is from or family is from.

Or we use black when referring to all African ethnic groups; Somalis, Nigerians, Jamaicans, Barbadians or on occasions mixed Black/White people.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,873,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

And the number of US citizens who, when asked their national identity, would respond with the name of a state or region, must be vanishingly small.

Not for Texans.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not for Texans.
"What country are you from?"

"Texas."

I am now officially embarrassed for Texans.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
"What country are you from?"

"Texas."

I am now officially embarrassed for Texans.
Most people don't ask "What country are you from?" They simply ask "Where are you from?" With that question, they can say Texas and why not?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 17 hours ago)

43,380 posts, read 44,098,420 times
The USA is the closest as far as I know.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 AM

8,854 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Brazil.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 AM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Most people don't ask "What country are you from?" They simply ask "Where are you from?" With that question, they can say Texas and why not?
Indeed, why not. But this thread is about national identity and not just about answering questions.

Of course if someone asks me "Where are you from," my answer will depend on who is doing the asking.

If I'm right here in Orange County, I'll give the name of my city.

If I'm visiting relatives in another state, I'll say I'm from California., or Southern California.

If I'm in another country, I'll say I'm American. Actually, I still might say I'm from California, it just depends.

None of these answers changes my sense of national identity as an American. It was the implication that Texans identify as Texans only and NOT as Americans that was mind-boggling.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Indeed, why not. But this thread is about national identity and not just about answering questions.

Of course if someone asks me "Where are you from," my answer will depend on who is doing the asking.

If I'm right here in Orange County, I'll give the name of my city.

If I'm visiting relatives in another state, I'll say I'm from California., or Southern California.

If I'm in another country, I'll say I'm American. Actually, I still might say I'm from California, it just depends.

None of these answers changes my sense of national identity as an American. It was the implication that Texans identify as Texans only and NOT as Americans that was mind-boggling.
You just proved my point. the fact is, when people are curious about where you're from, they don't usually include the word "country" in that question. If that add anything, it might be the word "originally" but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World