Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whose beer do you like better?
America 19 26.39%
Europe 40 55.56%
I don't like beer 5 6.94%
Whatever. I'll drink anything with alcohol in it 8 11.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,481,906 times

Advertisements

Basic everyday beer that people drink to get drunk is easily better in Europe. Though American Pale Ale I like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,788,591 times
I'd take an average beer from Germany, i.e. a Paulaner, Spaten, Oettinger, etc over a Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc any day of the week.

However, as a lot of people have pointed out, the craft brewing explosion in the US means that if you assume that all people in the US drink are 3.5% ABV pale straw-colored beers that cost $4.99 for a 6-pack, you are very sorely mistaken.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM

29,971 posts, read 18,802,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'd take an average beer from Germany, i.e. a Paulaner, Spaten, Oettinger, etc over a Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc any day of the week.

However, as a lot of people have pointed out, the craft brewing explosion in the US means that if you assume that all people in the US drink are 3.5% ABV pale straw-colored beers that cost $4.99 for a 6-pack, you are very sorely mistaken.
Yeah the average beer is better in Europe but the craft brewing and creative beers in the USA trump Europe's traditional beers.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,319,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah the average beer is better in Europe but the craft brewing and creative beers in the USA trump Europe's traditional beers.
So apparently you just like the styles produced by American craft breweries (IPAs, ...) more than European styles.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,230,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So apparently you just like the styles produced by American craft breweries (IPAs, ...) more than European styles.
Some American craft breweries produce German and Austrian style beers including some styles that are rare or even extinct in their home countries such as the amber Vienna Lager.

Most American craft breweries brew European styles, although the bias is definitely towards the British and Belgian traditions.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,307 times
Whoever started this thread can't be serious. I love so many things about the USA but beer is definitely one thing we know NOTHING about.

I will give you the example of Weihenstephaner, probably my favorite beer in the world and not just a matter of personal preference, this beer is often ranked #1 by several critics and the Beer World Awards, ranked the Weiheinstephaner Vitus, the best beer in the world in 2011.

The Weihenstephan Abbey(Kloster Weihenstephan) has been brewing beer for over 930 years, it is the world's oldest continuing operating brewery in the world. To even try to compare something like this to a beer made by a microbrewery started 20 years ago in Portland, Oregon should be considered a crime.

I also encourage you to learn more about the German purity law(Reinheitsgebot) and the history of brewing in Europe.

Last edited by Repubocrat; 10-31-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,068,231 times
Europe by a mile. It isn't that American beer isn't good...there are a few really good micro brews. European beer is just great. My three favorite beers are European...
3. Fuller's ESB
2. Hofbrau Hefeweizen
1. Fuller's London Pride...

Old 11-01-2014, 01:21 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,319,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Some American craft breweries produce German and Austrian style beers including some styles that are rare or even extinct in their home countries such as the amber Vienna Lager.

Most American craft breweries brew European styles, although the bias is definitely towards the British and Belgian traditions.
What I meant was:
I would be curious, if people would really notice a huge difference between, say, US craft Pils/Märzen/... and Euro "whatever". Quite frankly, I doubt it.
They seem to like beers that don't taste like the usual Lager/... which is still pretty much the standard beer type. So, I'm curious whether people like American craft breweries, because they really like their beers or because they brew "different" beers.

Same with Belgian beers and German wheat beers, by the way.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,230,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Whoever started this thread can't be serious. I love so many things about the USA but beer is definitely one thing we know NOTHING about.

The Weihenstephan Abbey(Kloster Weihenstephan) has been brewing beer for over 930 years, it is the world's oldest continuing operating brewery in the world. To even try to compare something like this to a beer made by a microbrewery started 20 years ago in Portland, Oregon should be considered a crime.

I also encourage you to learn more about the German purity law(Reinheitsgebot) and the history of brewing in Europe.
If you study the history of brewing in Europe, you would know that the very ingredients of beer, from the ways malt is made to the varietals of hops, to the processes of the brewhouse, have been in constant flux for centuries, and changed radically in the 19th and again in the 20th centuries. The Weihenstephaner today is a different beer from the one 150 years ago, much less 930 years ago. I have actually visited the brewery in conjunction with TU München. It is a state of the art brewery that uses the contemporary range of Munich and wheat malts, as well as a widely available Hefeweizen yeast strain for their flagship product. They do not have a recipe from an ancient tome or a magic wand, just good recipes, good brewhouse process, and good cellaring. That is what makes Weihenstephaner successful.

As far as the Reinheitsgebot, that is a regulation that has stifled German beer. It has protected the quality but only of a very narrow range of styles. This means that an unknown number of traditional German beers is lost forever just because they fall out of the narrow, restrictive wording of a regulatory law that was largely instituted to protect certain commodities as much as it was to prevent mediocrity. Most of the lauded beers of Belgium would be illegal to brew under the Reinheitsgebot.

As far as a 20 year old brewery being able to brew something more appreciable than a centuries old brewery, it happens all the time. The brewery Stella Artois goes back to the 14th century.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:48 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,884,644 times
Altbier, the brown ale found in Düsseldorf Germany is the best in the world(Gatzweiler, Schumacher, Schlösser, Frankenheim, Düssel)

Canadian beer is better than mass produced US beer, PBR is best followed closely by Miller, light beer is watered down crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World