Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM

35 posts, read 33,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bumping a post to "the top" does not help your topic get noticed.
From zero replies to nine overnight. I'd beg to differ on that, but I won't bump any posts on this forum any more, my apologies, new here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
El Nido, Palawan

The place is very tolerant to americans. Infact the country where it is located is voted as one of the coutries that loves America/Americans more than Amercians love the USA.

It is voted as one of the best beaches in the world.

Warm and humid weather for 8 months, expect heavy rains in 4 months.

People are friendly, majority can communicate in English and politics are stable (not the entire country though).

I can't comment on the safety, probably same level as average America in terms of safety.
Awesome, I'll type that in wikivoyage and learn more.

Quote:
You can't just pack your stuff and move.
First of all you should first visit some places then decide which one you like. Then you need to have some useful skills to get a job, or how else you want to live? Then you need to find out the immigration regulations for that country. And last - you need to have some savings to survive, while you look for a housing and a job.
I know. But I like to daydream as if it's possible (that may end up being the only way). Kind of build a mental list of places I'd visit and check out if I were able to, and figure out why.

Quote:
Not everything sounds like a paradise:
- monsoons, torrential downpours, from May to October, hot, humid and insects.
- sand flies, malaria, filariasis, dengue fever, rabies
- dynamite and cyanide fishing
- most jobs ( 70 listed) require college degree: http://job-search.jobstreet.com.ph/p.../palawan-jobs/
- cost of living Can You Live In the Philippines on $1000? | Palawan WoW
Oooooh it's in the phillipines? Okay I have checked that out before. There were things that appealed to me about that place and things that didn't. What's the marijuana culture there like? Also cyanide fishing? Is that healthy for the people who eat the fish?

Quote:
Being bum and college drop out doesn't mean he has no savings.
I do have some savings. I didn't win the lottery but I would like to conduct this thought experiment as if I had. It's kind of a long term goal of mine to be able to relocate someday, but I'm tempering it for the time being until it becomes possible.

Also, I love how "no bachelors and can't get one right now," automatically means bum. Sadly, that's probably a fair assumption.

Quote:
Thailand!
This was suggested to me repeatedly in a different forum as well. I'll wikivoyage that again tonight. Starting to kind of get the impression about Thailand that from on the outside it doesn't look that nice, but the unwritten rules there kind of make it a paradise. I wonder about how well I'd be able to adapt to an Asian country though.

Quote:
The place you're looking for using that criteria doesn't even exist. I don't understand why people make threads like this. You want to live in an interesting place, but take out all the things that make it interesting.
That's a fair point. I even acknowledged it in the OP. No place is going to meet ALL of my criteria, I'm just trying to figure out where would be the best fit for myself if I could someday go. Something to daydream about.

What do you mean by saying I want to take out all the things that make it interesting?

People make threads like this because they're dissatisfied (for whatever reasons, whether that feeling be justified or not is irrelevant, it's all subjective) with their current situation and there's little they can actually do about it but wonder what life could maybe be in a parallel universe.

Quote:
How does not having a degree prevent you from moving? That doesn't even make sense. A lot of people don't have degrees and seem to get around just fine.
It severely limits my options. Most of the really good countries seem to have stringent educational requirements to even qualify to immigrate there. One reason for this thread might be to learn about more overlooked options that I previously didn't know about that may be attainable someday.

Not only do you need a degree to qualify for citizenship in many places, but you need one to be able to support yourself adequately (especially in a new, foreign land, all by yourself); and I don't know about the rest of the world, but here that absolutely means having a bachelors.

Also, moving in the first place requires a bit of a stack. Something I'm actually working on, but it's a slow process, and I have to suffer a little for every bit I save. Getting there though. A bachelors would make achieving that stack in a timely manner much more realistic.

I would love to hear stories of people who don't have degrees and get around just fine. Maybe it could inspire me or give me an idea I hadn't thought of yet.

Quote:
There is a HUGE difference between living in a small village in the developed world and living in a small village in a place like the Philippines. Given the OP's criteria, he wouldn't be able to handle living in a small village in an underdeveloped country. He would freak out in a few minutes.
ahh I see now. as humorous as that sounds like it'd be for somebody watching me in that position, I don't think I'd like to go through that. I think it definitely needs to be a developed country.

Thanks for the responses guy! I know this sounds dumb but you guys feeding my imagination with your knowledge and experiences would really help me out a lot at this time in my life.

Also, is there a "Show new replies to your posts," type function on this forum? I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited by oneLostPuppy; 11-07-2014 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,592,987 times
Well, I don't have a degree and I have spent around half of my adult life living in other countries. I don't know why you're concerning yourself with immigration laws, it sounds like you just want to expat. I'd recommend saving up like $15k or so and going on a six month RTW trip checking out different places. When you find a place you like, network with the local expats and see if you can find yourself work.

In the OP you mentioned that you don't like cold weather. Why not move some place in the US that doesn't have cold winters while you are saving your money for your trip?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 PM

35 posts, read 33,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Well, I don't have a degree and I have spent around half of my adult life living in other countries. I don't know why you're concerning yourself with immigration laws, it sounds like you just want to expat. I'd recommend saving up like $15k or so and going on a six month RTW trip checking out different places. When you find a place you like, network with the local expats and see if you can find yourself work.
I guess I don't really know the difference between expatriation and immigration.

You have to have a VISA to stay in a country longer than a short, pre-determined amount of time for a vacation or something, right?

Although I think I'm going to work toward exactly that with the 15k and the RTW trip check out different places. Any suggestions on places?

Quote:
In the OP you mentioned that you don't like cold weather. Why not move some place in the US that doesn't have cold winters while you are saving your money for your trip?
Where I'm at currently has an alright cost of living (and honestly that knowledge has me scared of exploring anywhere that might be more expensive, cause I still think things are tight here), and I'm finally on my way to affording that around the world trip to check out places. The moving costs of relocating temporarily would set me back quite a bit on that.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, sorry about that, but that's really not my intention. This isn't an issue of motivation conflicting with desires, it really is logistical.

EDIT: I guess what I'm wanting out of this thread is for people to sell me on places that might be a good fit for me. Trying to narrow down the list of places I'd like to visit-- looking for that silver lining somewhere that I might have been overlooking that will make some culture stand out to me and get bumped to the top of my "to explore," list.

Last edited by oneLostPuppy; 11-08-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 06:40 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,881,164 times
I respect how imaginative, and original topic title is in describing a dreamy, abstract optimistic element of life, sounds really utopian, spiritually uplifting, and feeling of peace on Planet Earth about initial epiphany of beginning title.

Although, unfortunately not too realistic, and your standards are maybe too high, so you might have to compromise. Every individual is unique and there is a subjective realm of thought in exactly where people want in travel international domestic visit, and where someone is living when not experiencing travel.

You have comprehensive, ultra specific set of criteria in official reference of thought. How about areas of Hoi An Vietnam, Phuket Thailand, Palau Penang-Ipoh Malaysia, rural Bali island area of Indonesia, anywhere in Okinawa island of Japan outside of Naha, Chamonix Rhone-Alpes France, Lourdes Midi-Pyrenees France, rural periphery of Ajaccio French Mediterranean of Corsica Island, Sinaia Romania, Karlovy Vary Czech Republic, and rural Cyprus nation island in Eastern Mediterranean.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:50 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,429,495 times
Once upon a time, it was fairly easy for Americans (and others) to immigrate to Uruguay, but they've apparently tightened the requirements.

It does tick several of the boxes though.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 15,871 times
i know what the responses will be, but my suggestion is north georgia (like anywhere from atlanta -> northward)

the mountains are especially beautiful

Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,962,600 times
Fakarava.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World