Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:22 PM

35 posts, read 33,659 times

Advertisements

Situation: Not having a bachelor's degree, and being unable to get one for the time being, I realistically won't be able to relocate any time soon even though I dislike where I live and grew up.

But I would like to be able to dream of being successful and moving somewhere else.

The only problem is, I have no idea where I would want to relocate even if I could!

So if you guys don't mind, I'm going to name some qualities that I think would be nice to have when relocating some place and I would like you guys to name some places that might suit my needs, and explain why you think they meet my needs.

None of the things I'm about to list are set in stone, I'm quite aware that no place on Earth is going to meet all of the criteria I think would be nice. I'm just trying to figure out places that would make for the best compromise.

So will you help me figure out a place to dream about?

Here are some of things that could be important to me:

-Weather: I'm sick of winter. it would be nice if I could live somewhere warm. It would be even nicer if I could live next to a beautiful beach. It would be even nicest if it were on an island somewhere. As long as I can't build an igloo out of my surroundings. Exception: I've often considered sticking it out in a colder part of the world in order to find myself somewhere with a lower Gini coefficient, which leads me to my next criteria...

-Social equality: This is probably a lower priority because if I were ever able to move anywhere, it means I've found some semblance of success and should be able to afford where ever I want to move. Nonetheless, it would probably be nice to live in a place where I'm not surrounded by crime and poverty.

-Crime: I'm not hard. I would like to be in an area of the world where I wouldn't have to worry about my own safety or the safety of what's mine

-Marijuana: A legal place would be nice, but if other factors make that an issue for the time being a decriminalized place would be fine. I could even tolerate living in a part of the world where it's outright illegal, as long as it's not stigmatized and the penalty isn't to be strung up by my genitalia (that probably crosses lots of area of the world off the list)

-Liberalism: I probably fall somewhere on the left side of the political spectrum, but if all other factors are favourable I'm used to living in a somewhat conservative area already

-Population: I'm a small town guy. It took living in a metropolis for a year to realize this, but I would like to go back to my roots. It would be damn nice if I could live near a village with a population less than 5,000, but I'm willing to settle for living near a city with a population of less than 10,000

-Friendliness and acceptance: I'm an American, so I probably wouldn't fare too well in an area that particularly dislikes Americans. I can handle a place that's racially homogeneous as long as I don't stand out (I'm white), although some diversity would be nice. Regardless of that, I value sincerity, in a place that's open where it's not hard to make friends.

-Culture shock: as I said I'm an American, so even though I'm curious about other cultures, too much culture shock would probably be bad for me. I'm open to learning a new language if I have to, I already know some French.

-Political stability: I'm scared of living somewhere that could have a regime change any year now.

-modernity: I would have trouble doing without the internet and at least a 90s level of modern conveniences.

If I've forgotten anything that you think might be important, let me know.

So what do you guys think? If you were me, and you won the lottery, where would you go?

Last edited by oneLostPuppy; 10-26-2014 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: forgot a criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,367,666 times
El Nido, Palawan

The place is very tolerant to americans. Infact the country where it is located is voted as one of the coutries that loves America/Americans more than Amercians love the USA.

It is voted as one of the best beaches in the world.

Warm and humid weather for 8 months, expect heavy rains in 4 months.

People are friendly, majority can communicate in English and politics are stable (not the entire country though).

I can't comment on the safety, probably same level as average America in terms of safety.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 AM

61,198 posts, read 86,043,522 times
You can't just pack your stuff and move.
First of all you should first visit some places then decide which one you like. Then you need to have some useful skills to get a job, or how else you want to live? Then you need to find out the immigration regulations for that country. And last - you need to have some savings to survive, while you look for a housing and a job.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 AM

61,198 posts, read 86,043,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
El Nido, Palawan

The place is very tolerant to americans. Infact the country where it is located is voted as one of the coutries that loves America/Americans more than Amercians love the USA.

It is voted as one of the best beaches in the world.

Warm and humid weather for 8 months, expect heavy rains in 4 months.

People are friendly, majority can communicate in English and politics are stable (not the entire country though).

I can't comment on the safety, probably same level as average America in terms of safety.
Not everything sounds like a paradise:
- monsoons, torrential downpours, from May to October, hot, humid and insects.
- sand flies, malaria, filariasis, dengue fever, rabies
- dynamite and cyanide fishing
- most jobs ( 70 listed) require college degree: http://job-search.jobstreet.com.ph/p.../palawan-jobs/
- cost of living Can You Live In the Philippines on $1000? | Palawan WoW

Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not everything sounds like a paradise:
- monsoons, torrential downpours, from May to October, hot, humid and insects.
- sand flies, malaria, filariasis, dengue fever, rabies
- dynamite and cyanide fishing
- most jobs ( 70 listed) require college degree: http://job-search.jobstreet.com.ph/p.../palawan-jobs/
- cost of living Can You Live In the Philippines on $1000? | Palawan WoW
OP didn't mention anything about budget though he mentioned about winning the lottery. Being bum and college drop out doesn't mean he has no savings.

Where'd you get those info about malaria, filariasis etc? We haven't heard about those

Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 AM

10,612 posts, read 15,929,513 times
Thailand!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:57 AM

2,923 posts, read 5,588,391 times
The place you're looking for using that criteria doesn't even exist. I don't understand why people make threads like this. You want to live in an interesting place, but take out all the things that make it interesting.

How does not having a degree prevent you from moving? That doesn't even make sense. A lot of people don't have degrees and seem to get around just fine.

And Kent, El Nido would be a miserable place to live. It's WAY to isolated, expensive, and lacks many basic amenities. Place doesn't even have 24 hour power. There are hundreds of better places to move to in the PI.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
OP didn't mention anything about budget though he mentioned about winning the lottery. Being bum and college drop out doesn't mean he has no savings.

Where'd you get those info about malaria, filariasis etc? We haven't heard about those
I would die of boredom in like 2 weeks in El Nido.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
The place you're looking for using that criteria doesn't even exist. I don't understand why people make threads like this. You want to live in an interesting place, but take out all the things that make it interesting.

How does not having a degree prevent you from moving? That doesn't even make sense. A lot of people don't have degrees and seem to get around just fine.

And Kent, El Nido would be a miserable place to live. It's WAY to isolated, expensive, and lacks many basic amenities. Place doesn't even have 24 hour power. There are hundreds of better places to move to in the PI.
Puerto Princesa is the most urbanized city in Palawan where you can have the needed amenities and it's 3 hours drive away from El Nido.

Judging from OP's post, he doesn't mind living in a small town setting:
Quote:
-Population: I'm a small town guy. It took living in a metropolis for a year to realize this, but I would like to go back to my roots. It would be damn nice if I could live near a village with a population less than 5,000, but I'm willing to settle for living near a city with a population of less than 10,000

Old 11-07-2014, 01:33 AM

3 hours? Yeah right, it was more like 6 hours last time I did it and I've heard it can be an all day event during rainy season. It is a miserable trip. And for what? El Nido is pretty, but there are plenty of pretty places in the PI. And most of them are significantly better places to live than El Nido.

There is a HUGE difference between living in a small village in the developed world and living in a small village in a place like the Philippines. Given the OP's criteria, he wouldn't be able to handle living in a small village in an underdeveloped country. He would freak out in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World