Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:05 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,420,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This subtle racism is very insidious. You see it in the way SOME people speak and interact with you vs how they do others not of your background. Little remarks that are made. Also, if you're male you get it the worst. Like you said, you just know in certain situations but because you cannot prove it, you're forced to internalize it. When you attempt to have a dialogue about it to try to open up the reality you live in so others may understand, you're met with dismissive responses and attitudes. the only way we can truly move past it is if those who have historically been used to doing all the talking start doing more listening and understand that the world they know may not be the same for everyone.
Reminds me of an episode of Key & Peele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nopWOC4SRm4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,626 times
Is this supposed to be a revelation to blacks or anybody else..?...I didnt think the question was ever 'had other people endured slavery before blacks'...I always thought the question was: "how many peoples endured the same form of mass chattel slavery, under inhumane conditions, separated families, having been systematically stripped of their native culture, while being expected to thrive in an entirely new world, without being allowed access to education for several successive generations...along with the accompanying 100 + years of systematic discrimination and lynchings by a government via jim crow laws, EVEN AFTER they had gained freedom...all inflicted solely on the basis of that culture's race?" (As opposed to being the result of any legitimate war)

Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Is this supposed to be a revelation to blacks or anybody else..?...I didnt think the question was ever 'had other people endured slavery before blacks'...I always thought the question was: "how many peoples endured the same form of mass chattel slavery, under inhumane conditions, separated families, having been systematically stripped of their native culture, while being expected to thrive in an entirely new world, without being allowed access to education for several successive generations...along with the accompanying 100 + years of systematic discrimination and lynchings by a government via jim crow laws, EVEN AFTER they had gained freedom...all inflicted solely on the basis of that culture's race?" (As opposed to being the result of any legitimate war)
^^^That was the question but watch what happens to you now that you've said that.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,874,796 times
I feel dumber after reading this thread... Everyone denounce racism and slavery, pretty simple solution. In the modern western world blacks have faced the most persecution, with the exception being Jewish people. I doubt anyone would argue against that. Of course there are other minorities who have faced persecution as well. Mostly from white Caucasians because that is who had the wealth and power to do so. This had been a global mindset for centuries, nearly every ethnic group has persecuted some other group at sometime in history, only in very recent modern times has equality for all people really taken root, let's focus on creating a better future and forgive our predecessors for their undoings. Most modern societies are moving toward being not racist and sexist, we aren't there, but we are closer then ever.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,626 times
Quote:
^^^That was the question but watch what happens to you now that you've said that.
Oh what?..lol You mean that old predictable response that people usually post where they cobble together historical accounts from like 40 different ethnicities, and then lob them at the wall in hopes of drawing enough of a comparison to American blacks that you'll think each of those culture's histories, when taken en toto, all combine to de-legitamize the effects of slavery of blacks in America?..like the one's that start off with "well first off all, the irish slaves had it hard, and the indians picked cotton for a while too, and the japanese built railroads and got lynched too...and dont forget about the Jews, theyve been persecuted to the point of being driven from their homelands as well...the italians also had their culture stripped from them back in the day as well...and lets not forget that the canadians had a tough go of it there for a while...and theyre still recovering from the disgrace that is drake..so see there, blacks arent the only one's who endured hardships."

well, yeah, those posts are gonna come regardless...believe it or not, im actually one who's not much on this comparative suffering routine...its useless and it gets old...either way, ill get over it...lol

Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Oh what?..lol You mean that old predictable response that people usually post where they cobble together historical accounts from like 40 different ethnicities, and then lob them at the wall in hopes of drawing enough of a comparison to American blacks that you'll think each of those culture's histories, when taken en toto, all combine to de-legitamize the effects of slavery of blacks in America?..like the one's that start off with "well first off all, the irish slaves had it hard, and the indians picked cotton for a while too, and the japanese built railroads and got lynched too...and dont forget about the Jews, theyve been persecuted to the point of being driven from their homelands as well...the italians also had their culture stripped from them back in the day as well...and lets not forget that the canadians had a tough go of it there for a while...and theyre still recovering from the disgrace that is drake..so see there, blacks arent the only one's who endured hardships."

well, yeah, those posts are gonna come regardless...believe it or not, im actually one who's not much on this comparative suffering routine...its useless and it gets old...either way, ill get over it...lol
Yeah, I mean that LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,320,496 times
Quote:
His post is perfectly fine and is perfectly true. It just makes *click* when people like you and PLondon feel the need to accuse me personally and pretty much every other white guy of racism. With the occasional Hitler reference for good measure.

And all that for calling you out on this. Not for downplaying what had happened in the past or today.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,234,317 times
Slavery started with civilization with its labor specialization and social stratification. Thus the first slaves were probably residents of the Mesopotamian region where the earliest civilizations emerged. Hunter gatherers and settled horticulturists had no incentive to enslave anyone in their small, interdependent communities.

As civilization spread to places like Europe and developed in places like the far east and Mesoamerica, slavery appeared in those places, too.

In places where races came together, like ancient Rome, slaves from England, Germany, Nubia, and north Africa toiled together. It wasn't until the 16th century that slavery became truly a race based institution.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Honestly you don't know why people give you odd stares, giving odd stares is just a human thing... i give odd stares and i receive odd stares, mostly out of socially awkwardness, i catch eyes with someone i don't want to look wierldy happy and smiley but i don't want to look angry either so i probably have a odd look on my face. nothing to do with race however.
Honestly, you do.

Its funny how you disregarded the majority of my post.

Quote:
This subtle racism is very insidious. You see it in the way SOME people speak and interact with you vs how they do others not of your background. Little remarks that are made. Also, if you're male you get it the worst. Like you said, you just know in certain situations but because you cannot prove it, you're forced to internalize it. When you attempt to have a dialogue about it to try to open up the reality you live in so others may understand, you're met with dismissive responses and attitudes. the only way we can truly move past it is if those who have historically been used to doing all the talking start doing more listening and understand that the world they know may not be the same for everyone.
Exactly, by the way its only a certain type of person that I get this indirect racism from its not "All white people everywhere who ever lived" I didn't even say that!!

It tends to be White rich people or snobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I feel dumber after reading this thread... Everyone denounce racism and slavery, pretty simple solution. In the modern western world blacks have faced the most persecution, with the exception being Jewish people. I doubt anyone would argue against that. Of course there are other minorities who have faced persecution as well. Mostly from white Caucasians because that is who had the wealth and power to do so. This had been a global mindset for centuries, nearly every ethnic group has persecuted some other group at sometime in history, only in very recent modern times has equality for all people really taken root, let's focus on creating a better future and forgive our predecessors for their undoings. Most modern societies are moving toward being not racist and sexist, we aren't there, but we are closer then ever.
I don't know why this is so hard to understand!

Its pretty simple.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,706,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Bonus question: Who qualifies as white?
Well... Definitely not Irish, Italians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Finns, Estonians, Poles, Czech, Slovakians, Hungarians, Romanians, Serbs, Slovenes and Croats, Ukrainians, Turks, Maghrebs and Egyptians. At least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I feel dumber after reading this thread... Everyone denounce racism and slavery, pretty simple solution. In the modern western world blacks have faced the most persecution, with the exception being Jewish people. I doubt anyone would argue against that.
I would. How about Protestants? If "modern" is 1500 ->
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World