Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:17 PM

89 posts, read 199,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Interesting fact: Over 1 million Europeans were taken as slaves by North Africans between the years 1530 and 1780.
yes very interesting!!! thanl you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:17 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,893,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
Does anyone know the actual reasoning behind Europeans enslaving Africans at high volume in the first place? I have done my research but my research has lead to some theories I find hard to believe, and some which just simply I found no proof for? There were North African tribes who were just as "tribal", they could have also bought slaves from the Arabs as well (East African slaves). So what was the point behind enslaving those particular Africans?
Slavery was NOT based on race.

Last edited by SobreTodo; 10-28-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linana75 View Post
What theories have you find ?
I did a lot of research too and I think that the main reason is economic.
I also find that one of economic's african empire (kanem empire) was based in slavery. That means this empire mainly made money with slavery but I dont know if it's true.

Now about north african, they have been invased by arabs, they wanted to convert them to Islam and they succeed even if north african fight for years. So I guess north african became slaves after that.
Arabs muslims were making someone a slave if he was not a muslim so they were also slavery between arabs.
Many people have the misconception that slavery was based on race. It wasn't. Slavery helped promulgate racism because the biggest pool of slaves was coming from Africa, but slave status was NOT determined by racial assignation but by matrilineal birthright. If your mother was a slave, so were you. Regardless if you were legally White or not.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 PM

89 posts, read 199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
That's because most of those people are dumb and thrive off of lies. People need to read a book or travel of they can. Vocal victimists are rarely successful unless they are entertainers or in the grievance industry.
You're right!
I dont know in America but in French's schools, we never heard about white slavery, it's only about black slavery. So unless if you are a curious mind or not stupid to believe that all we say on tv it's true, it's gonna be very hard to know about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good point.

To answer your original question though, I think African slaves might get the most attention because it involved almost an entire continent colonized by powers from another continent. Slavery up until then mostly involved neighboring ethnic groups. It didn't require making journeys a half a world away. Also, as far as slavery on this scale is concerned, it's relatively recent. Also, I think in the US it seems to stick around more because after slavery, there was 100 years of legal discrimination. This is actually what did most of the psychological damage but usually all the blame is put on slavery.
Yep. 20th century Jim Crow and Civil Rights movement are what had or left few lingering effects rather than slavery.

An interesting analysis in "Slavery Is Irrelevant":

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » Slavery is Irrelevant

Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The word 'Slav' is the basis for the word slave, and was born much earlier than those nations. Yugoslavia is the "nation of southern Slavs". Slavery has always existed, and exists today. The Greeks, the Romans, Persians, Chinese, Indians, Mayans, Aztecs, Arabs, European Kingdoms and African Kingdoms all had slaves. Slaves were spoils of war like everything else.

The Barbary States of North Africa enslaved a million Europeans into slavery during the 16th and 18th centuries, and today there's some 25 million slaves worldwide.

Anyone who knows a bit of history knows that there has been slaves in almost all societies.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 PM

98 posts, read 117,036 times
I get what the OP was getting at when making this topic but I can not take this thread seriously and entertain this crap anymore. To say that Irish slaves were treated worse is such a illogical, disrespectful and blatant lie.

I am so over people trying to down play black American slavery like it was nothing and "not that bad".

Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,115,105 times
Quote:
I would like to talk about this topic as most of people tend to think that only black people suffer from slavery while it's not the case at all.

So African-american or black americans, it's the same for me, when people say you are a slave or whatever, remember that it dit not only happen to you.

What does mean slave ? Does it mean "black captured and forced to work for free, etc" not at all!!!
Wikipedia : The English word slave comes from Old French sclave, from the Medieval Latin sclavus, from the Byzantine Greek σκλάβος, which, in turn, comes from the ethnonym Slav, because in some early mediaeval wars many Slavs were captured and enslaved.[10][11] An older theory connected it to the Greek verb skyleúo 'to strip a slain enemy.

Do you know there is a population, called "slaves" because they were the first slaves : they are actually in Russia, Ukrain, Poland, Bulgaria, etc...

Countries's name like Slovenia, Slavonia, Yugoslavia, Slovakia, are from the word 'slave".
So do you imagin the name of your country is based with the word slave !!!

So what all of that does mean ? Those people were the first slaves in the world during Middle Ages because they were polytheits.

Beyond that, so many people have been into slavery (wars, etc...) and we still associate slavery with black only, why ?

I am fed up with people think all african history is about slave while actually is only a part of history because in Africa long before slavery, there were kingdoms for centuries. Africa was awake, it didn't need europeans or something to be prosperous.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Note I'm just trying to restore a truth. I dont want hurt anyone.
So high theory based on a simple similarity.

If say "scots" sounds like "a cattle" in Russian it means nothing, right?

The word "a slave" has nothing to slavic people (just because they never knew English or French two thousands years ago or about). Their name's basis is "slov" or "slav" which translated as "a word" so "slavyane" means "the people who speak our language". The English synonym is "englishmen".

Last edited by Atai J.; 10-28-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,475,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
So high theory based on a simple similarity.

If say "scots" sounds like "a cattle" in Russian it means nothing, right?

The word "a slave" has nothing to slavic people (just because they never knew English or French two thousands years ago or about). Their name's basis is "slov" or "slav" which translated as "a word" so "slavyane" means "the people who speak our language". The English synonym is "englishmen".
It does actually have to do with slavic people. You are correct about the origin of the word slav amongst slavs, but the word slave in French and later English does appear to come from the word slavs used to decribe themselves (which had nothing to do with slavery).

Online Etymology Dictionary

As for why the Europeans bought slaves from Subsaharan Africa rather then from the Arabs or North Africans, it had to do with religion. Chrisitan Europeans who were not Venicians, and Muslims, as a general rule, did not trade. So Europeans had to buy slaves from the "pagan" cities in Africa that were south of the Islamic sphere.

To be honest while there was alot of slavery happening within medieval Europe and alot of Europeans being sold into slavery in the Caliphate, it has to be said that Africa has suffered disproportionately from slave taking. I mean, the arab slave trade of Africans alone went on from 650 to the 1960s. That's a serious impact anyway you look at it, but it's a mistake to think this somehow reflects poorly on Africans or should stigmatize them as is implied by OP. Why would that make us think less of Black people? They were simply the victims of crimes and injustices, whether or not we focus on African slavery or not doesn't matter, what did or didn't happen has no bearing on the worth of Black lives or Black bodies. They are still just as human and just as precious whether or not we focus on Black slavery or forget about it. This does not change, and should never change. Let's look at the history with clear eyes, because we know this in our hearts and what we see has no bearing on this obvious truth.

Anyways, some additional reading:

History of slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by BIMBAM; 10-29-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,841,689 times
Quote:
You're right but unfortunately most of people think slavery only happened to black people.
This isn't true, OP. But in the American context, most discussion is about Black slavery, it shouldn't be hard to understand why. However, even in the US, slavery wasn't exclusive to Blacks. Before there was Black slavery, there was White slavery. Mostly Irish but some English came to North America as indentured servants. But it was too easy for them to run away and blend into the general population. So finding a source of slaves that differed markedly in appearance from the property-owning class became imperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World