Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,303,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well, that's in your eyes your not exactly (a guess) a person of colour?
Well, the internet is quite anonymous. I lived in China, the US (which I can't remember), Finland and Austria. Heritage-wise I haven't been part of the majority in any of those countries.

Anyhow, it seems like you are applying the same standards you are complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,319,003 times
What kind of world do we live in when the views of the oppressed are expressed at the convenience of their oppressors?
– Owen 'Alik Shahadah

Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Not quite sure whom I or any of my family ever oppressed. But that's okay, I guess.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, the internet is quite anonymous. I lived in China, the US (which I can't remember), Finland and Austria. Heritage-wise I haven't been part of the majority in any of those countries.

Anyhow, it seems like you are applying the same standards you are complaining about.
I don't get what you mean in the last sentence.

Quote:
Not quite sure whom I or any of my family ever oppressed. But that's okay, I guess.
The quote wasn't a reply to your post sorry for the confusion.

But oppression doesn't have to mean being taken to concentration camps etc.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Irish and other whites were often branded and most slave owners eventually were people of color. The first slave owner was a person of color, a black man and he had some white slaves. This all happened in the USA.
This has already been mentioned when I said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Or you could just word it differently. Type in "the forgotten slaves" and share with us the first five results you see.
So what do you think you're proving here? Your source does not say that this man legally owned a white slave. It mentions that the plantation exploited Europeans as well as Africans but that does not mean that this man was white. In fact, it seems to suggest that he wasn't:
Quote:
one of Anthony Johnson’s involuntary African laborers, a man named John Casor
the very article you provided actually says:
Quote:
the court declared that “as a black man, Anthony Johnson was not a citizen of the colonyâ€
. But it's not race based right?

What I got out of this is that you really want that history were different and are picking what you want out of that. the headline got me to read but the article doesn't seem to say what you're saying for whatever reason. It "suggests" a black man who was forced to come to Virginia against his will was the first slave owner. This alone is borderline cognitive dissonance.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
But oppression doesn't have to mean being taken to concentration camps etc.
Well, concerning concentration camps, my family was rather on the receiving side.

Anyhow, history sucked for everyone at one point. But it's HISTORY. I'm not mad at my fellow (Nazi) Austrians and their offsprings, even though I probably could. But what's the point? I know that 99.9% are properly functioning, some are really ****ed up mind-wise, but hey? Why should I hold a grudge against the great majority?

Yes, people should keep in mind what was done to fellow citizens that were heavily oppressed at one point. But what's the point of accusing white people of (a) your country and (b) of any other country that doesn't have a history of slavery (like mine and many others) of being inherently racist?

Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,189,071 times
Exactly. Don't even think about having the audacity of doing that.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Because it effects me on a day to day basis that's why.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
And this discounts that the majority of the slave owners or "slave masters" were European and most of the slaves were African?

Sobre, its not relevant because as a rule this wasn't the case its deeply offensive to me personally because my ancestors were slaves on the plantations in the Caribbean wiped, raped, overthrown at sea, hunted down like animals.

You are offending people so just stop with "some whites were slaves too" like that somehow changes history.

All of you are deluded and borderline racists including the one from Finland.

Yes, I said it RACIST.
I think it's safe to remove the word borderline. Their types are typical for this forum.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Quite frankly, statements like that are fairly obnoxious.
Not compared to statements like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World