Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Ha funny, coffee here for most is seen like something you'd drink rarely. In Canada are coffee shops everywhere even in lower income areas? Here coffee shops are always in middle income/central areas
Yeah, by far the cheapest places seem to be the most popular. People will get a coffee first thing in the morning before work without fail, and have it set in to their schedule. The two most popular stops that stick out to me are called Tim Hortons and Country Style, which are like $1.50 for a 300ml. Then there are the Starbucks, and then the independently run cafes and whatnot. I work at a delicatessen and if I see someone who looks homeless or in very rough shape come in, it's almost a guarantee that they're coming for coffee. I'm actually surprised about this high coffee per capita consumption in Canada, I thought it was going to be similar everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,061,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
US style coffee? What is US syle?

It depends, the all-time most ubiquitous coffee place in the country is called Tim Horton's, which will fix the sugar cream/milk ratio how you want before you ever get it. Everywhere else will just give you the bean juice before and send you off to the DIY table.
In those coffee pots?

Here, a cafe will always take your order and make it to your liking (no cream...)..ie the pot isn't sitting there waiting for the next customer. I can't really think of a DIY place unless its like a 7/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah, by far the cheapest places seem to be the most popular. People will get a coffee first thing in the morning before work without fail, and have it set in to their schedule. The two most popular stops that stick out to me are called Tim Hortons and Country Style, which are like $1.50 for a 300ml. Then there are the Starbucks, and then the independently run cafes and whatnot. I work at a delicatessen and if I see someone who looks homeless or in very rough shape come in, it's almost a guarantee that they're coming for coffee. I'm actually surprised about this high coffee per capita consumption in Canada, I thought it was going to be similar everywhere.
Most people in Aus, will have a morning coffee.... clutching it as they enter work, lol (I am one of these ) .. Starbucks closed most of their stores here as there is quite an established market for independent cafes already, as well as a chain named Gloria Jeans (horrible coffee).

Old 11-03-2014, 05:53 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,451,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
In those coffee pots?

Here, a cafe will always take your order and make it to your liking (no cream...)..ie the pot isn't sitting there waiting for the next customer. I can't really think of a DIY place unless its like a 7/11

Most people in Aus, will have a morning coffee.... clutching it as they enter work, lol (I am one of these ) .. Starbucks closed most of their stores here as there is quite an established market for independent cafes already, as well as a chain named Gloria Jeans (horrible coffee).
The American Starbucks company is no longer in Australia, the trademark was bought out by a local company, which now owns and runs the shops, their are about 20 Starbucks in Australia, all in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226934958931

Old 11-03-2014, 05:57 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That is what I would like to know, what sort of coffee do most people in Canada buy? Is it like this?

Caffè Americano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The general staple in Australian coffee shops would be the flat white or some other milk based coffee.

Flat white - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gotcha. Yeah, the most common coffee here is the stuff brewed over a large filter in to large glass coffee thermos'. Depends where you go, but the turnover is super high in the mornings and evenings so it only sits there if its a slow or a bad place day, realistically.

All the independent places use espresso machines and make everything that comes with that, as well as the more upscale kinds of chains which I guess are Starbucks and Second Cup primarily. I want to say that probably there are mostly independent cafes in our bigger cities, but I can't remember since I spend very little time in our larger cities. I just happen to live in a small blue-collar city up North so there is a bit of a difference here.

The most recent trend which needs to end are these ridiculous machines that pour hot water over a plastic container filled with coffee beans and whatever other ridiculous ingredients that keep people cheaply entertained. The machines come with settings so that all you do is throw in one of these coffee things, press a button and you get a coffee to your liking. You can imagine how much completely unnecessary waste piles up if you use this thing everyday. There are stores that are dedicated to selling crazy varieties of the containers.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,451,414 times
Quote:
Why isn't tea popular in these countries?

Coffee is so poncy.
Tea is still popular in Australia, we have lots of English ex pats of course, and It was certainly the staple hot drink in the area I grew up in (a small rural community).

Tea shops are not a common sight, but do seem to be growing in popularity, they seem to target the high end of town, unlike coffee shops which are everywhere.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 AM

355 posts, read 679,568 times
For reference:

Coffee consumption per capita 2008
9. Canada 6,5kg
25. USA 4,2kg
34. New Zealand 3,7kg
42. Australia 3,0kg
44. UK 2,8kg

Tea consumption per capita 2009
5. UK 2,74kg
45. New Zealand 0,65kg
55. Australia 0,51kg
62. Canada 0,41kg
69. USA 0,33kg

These numbers from Wikipedia.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,647,132 times
Canadian cuisine? lol, and what does that consist of? Tim Hortons?
Australian cuisine is kangaroo and emu.

American cuisine is burgers, wings, pizza, and mac n cheese and fried chicken.

Barf to all of it.

I like Mexican and Italian..... and some French and Thai.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Quote:
Ha funny, coffee here for most is seen like something you'd drink rarely. In Canada are coffee shops everywhere even in lower income areas? Here coffee shops are always in middle income/central areas
the US has hip coffee shops, that have the same connotations are the coffee shops you describe. But otherwise coffee is considered more normal than tea.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,734,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
For reference:

Coffee consumption per capita 2008
9. Canada 6,5kg
25. USA 4,2kg
34. New Zealand 3,7kg
42. Australia 3,0kg
44. UK 2,8kg

Tea consumption per capita 2009
5. UK 2,74kg
45. New Zealand 0,65kg
55. Australia 0,51kg
62. Canada 0,41kg
69. USA 0,33kg

These numbers from Wikipedia.
A fairly large part of that tea number for Aus would be East Asian style teas, green tea and others, rather than European style. Perhaps a higher proportion than the US and maybe Canada?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 PM

2,672 posts, read 5,443,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That surprises me, still Aussies are no slouch when in comes to coffee shops, Melbourne Urbanspoon has almost 3,800 listings under the coffee category.
We have great coffee in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World