Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,595,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Dude, the block I lived on in San Francisco's Inner Richmond District, which is a mostly-residential district well to the west of the CBD, I could eat every cuisine you listed plus Brazilian, Mexican, and Japanese - not just sushi, but teppanyaki. If I went in another two blocks I could add Burmese, Peruvian, French, Siamese, and Ethiopian. This was a residential area, not one of SF's foremost "foodie" destinations by any stretch.

Saibot is right: in most big US cities, cuisines like Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and specifically sushi are more or less just part of everyone's regular diet - they aren't consciously thought of as being "exotic" or "foreign." Thai was a very common staple cuisine in LA, SF, and Boston. Pho and banh mi are gaining as a cultural institution, too, all up and down the West Coast and increasingly in the Northeast and Chicago.

Please don't speak in absolutes about things you know nothing about!
Thai in the US is very americanised, even in the big cities. In Australia it's much less westernised. Pretty easy to see why - Thailand is a huge tourist destination for Australians, so there's a market of people who love the real thing, and a big population of people who are the real thing. Let me put it this way, you're not going to find cashew chicken on a Thai menu in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Breakfast burritos WTF is that?! A tortilla wrap? Enchilada??
Yes, a burrito could be described as a tortilla wrap, lol. A breakfast burrito is a flour tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, maybe some bacon or sausage or potatoes.

An enchilada is only remotely like a burrito. There are no breakfast enchiladas.

Quote:
I'm surprised beans are uncommon, I'm talking about baked beans which did originate in the US.
No, beans do not appear at US breakfasts. Even refried beans, which commonly appear in burritos, do not usually show up in breakfast burritos. Baked beans for breakfast?? Nooooo.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,774,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, a burrito could be described as a tortilla wrap, lol. A breakfast burrito is a flour tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, maybe some bacon or sausage or potatoes.

An enchilada is only remotely like a burrito. There are no breakfast enchiladas.

No, beans do not appear at US breakfasts. Even refried beans, which commonly appear in burritos, do not usually show up in breakfast burritos. Baked beans for breakfast?? Nooooo.
I've been to the U.S. tons of times and the absence of baked beans at breakfast is not something I have noticed. Guess I will have to be more attentive next time I am down there.

Here in Quebec breakfast is a bit schizophrenic. British colonialism has left us with a predominance of fried eggs and hot meats a breakfast (usually a choice of sausage links, bacon or ham). We also often have fried potatoes. Toast is routine as well but so are croissants and other kinds of finer pastries like chocolatines, etc.

Baked beans (fêves au lard) are very common and often served with a topping of maple syrup.

Also popular on toast or bread at breakfast is the creton, which is a meat spread (tartinade) very similar to the pork rillettes they have in France.

You will find crêpes on the menu of any breakfast place in Quebec but depending on the type of place these might be thick American-style flapjack pancakes or the much thinner French-style crêpes bretonnes. If you're particular about one and not the other it's best to ask because it's often not clear from the menu which kind it will be.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:01 AM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been to the U.S. tons of times and the absence of baked beans at breakfast is not something I have noticed. Guess I will have to be more attentive next time I am down there.

Here in Quebec breakfast is a bit schizophrenic. British colonialism has left us with a predominance of fried eggs and hot meats a breakfast (usually a choice of sausage links, bacon or ham). We also often have fried potatoes. Toast is routine as well but so are croissants and other kinds of finer pastries like chocolatines, etc.

Baked beans (fêves au lard) are very common and often served with a topping of maple syrup.

Also popular on toast or bread at breakfast is the creton, which is a meat spread (tartinade) very similar to the pork rillettes they have in France.

You will find crêpes on the menu of any breakfast place in Quebec but depending on the type of place these might be thick American-style flapjack pancakes or the much thinner French-style crêpes bretonnes. If you're particular about one and not the other it's best to ask because it's often not clear from the menu which kind it will be.
Creton. My grandmother used to make loads of it and would send me home with several tubs. I couldn't eat all of it of course, but now that she's gone, whenever I hear someone mention creton, I think of her.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:04 AM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not usually, but you can find big "full breakfasts" if you eat out, don't think most will eat that at home especially on weekdays. The bolded aren't common breakfast items here. Pancakes are. Noticed no Canadian / American differences at places that serve breakfast. And I agree burgers sound gross for breakfast. Breakfast burritos are common at eating out places in the West.
I notice in restaurants that I've had breakfast in the US, that " Skillets " are more popular than I've seen here, at least in BC. They have them at Denny's but I haven't seen them anywhere else. In the US I've seen them at Carrows, Denny's, Elmers and Shari's. This is mainly on the US west coast .

One difference you will see in most Canadian breakfast joints, is that there will be a bottle of HP on the table, whereas in the US it's A1 Steak sauce.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:11 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times
Quote:

ewwwwwwwwwwww dat nasty

Quote:

Yesss!! Its an integral part can't have a fry up without beans

When do you eat Bean over there then, for dinner with BBQ Ribs n stuff??

Old 11-06-2014, 12:07 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
I had a Egg McMuffin from McDonalds today..

English Muffin with Canadian Bacon, American Cheese and a Egg patty.
American cheese sucks honestly, gonna ask for white cheese next time.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Subway in Canada doesn't have American cheese

Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Subway in Canada doesn't have American cheese
They also have this really good Egg Sandwich.

Here it is... Egg Salad.

http://w.subway.com/en-CA/MenuNutrit...uCategoryId=14

Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They also have this really good Egg Sandwich.

Here it is... Egg Salad.

SUBWAY
They had a Lobster sub there, too. (It was in Nova Scotia). McDonald's is known as the home of the McLobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World