Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,924,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Indians are often much darker.
You would think it would be the opposite since Arabs are genetically closer to Africans than Indians are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,206,374 times
It bears mention that the story "Little Black Sambo" is about Indian people.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:46 PM

89 posts, read 199,888 times
Some indians are darker than black with dark skin.
It's because they (for some of them) have more melanin in body

Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,510,171 times
I don't like dividing people into 'races', I think it's completely nonsense; but if we must choose one, I would say indians form a race in its own right. They don't look like africans, nor like europeans, nor like other asians.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Sub-Saharan Africans = Black
South Asians = Dark Brown
Latinos, Arabs and Southeast Asians = Light Brown
Latinos not necessarily. If you are talkink about Latin America, there are people with all possible colours of skin, in the entire region, ranging from black to light beige.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM

59 posts, read 129,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
I'm curious as to what "race" does everyone consider indians?

and why they never got the classification as "black" when they too come in the same shades as the people do in Africa
because when people mention blacks, they arent exclusively meaning to skin color, but also about the body proportions and facial features that come along with that ethnic group, for example wider lips, nose, longer limbs, etc.

I've seen quite lightskinned aframs whoever they are by no means considered white because of their facial features, type of hair and most likely their self-identification with other darker skinned aframs

Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,437,551 times
Terms like "white" and "black" when it comes to "race" are more or less colloquial terms with no objective or scientific parameters. The idea that group identities or nomenclatures are based around melanin levels is a fairly new development in human history. Despite the fact that it's extremely feeble-minded, an individual is free categorize human beings according to melanin levels... culture, history, genetics, and geography be damned.

Now that the internet has deemed me to be black, I am free to say that you chromatically obsessed honkies and ******s need to go get a brain.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 11-06-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 07:08 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
I'm curious as to what "race" does everyone consider indians?

and why they never got the classification as "black" when they too come in the same shades as the people do in Africa
Because a lot of them are Indo-European. They're the "Indo" in Indo-European. They're descended from the people who migrated to Central Asia from the Russian steppes and set up a civilization there in the oasis towns. From there they migrated to Afghanistan and northwest India. The intense sun of India turned them dark.

Here's what they looked like before they migrated into India. Some of them had red hair, some--blond, others had chestnut hair.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-06-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM

919 posts, read 843,327 times
What is "black"? In US it is a specific term referring to African-Americans. It can be confusing because a lot of black people are lighter than a lot of Indians. Usually people talk about "dark" and "light" skin when talking about skin tone - among us "colored" folks

Along the same vein, some Jews, Italians, Black Irish and Black Spaniards are pretty dark - if not black then brown. But they consider themselves white.

The census people define "white" or Caucasians as "people with origin in Europe or Middle East" - so Arabs can call themselves white.

Also, never mind that the Caucasus mountains have nothing to do with being white, unless you believe that Aryans originated there and spread to Europe and India.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,977,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I am Indian American. I'd say that the cultural differences between Indians and most African Americans are pretty significant. Most Indian Americans are highly educated and affluent for one thing.
Indian Americans, sure; but that's a self-selected group of talented and motivated people with the means to make to the States. That's like comparing the highest achieving and most tenacious black Americans to every Indian on the subcontinent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World