Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
You can't compare them.

No one is this poor in Finland.
Yes, I can, and I'm not talking about Finland specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I like my home. But to build a house that big in Europe would be much much more expensive.

From Wikipedia:

Btw do you have single family houses built of stone in America? Here wooden houses are the cheaper ones.
We have a huge variety of home styles in the USA, including single family homes built of stone.

PLEASE don't base your concept or opinion of the average US home (which would be a very difficult sort of item to generalize about) on a snippet from a Wiki article.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:52 PM

33 posts, read 43,566 times
I think there are around 30 million americans who are really interesting, intelligent and amazing in general. Some of my best friends and my favorite writers are americans. Alas, the other 270 million people are pretty much the dumb and ignorant ones who couldn't ever find themselves on a map. Fortunately, 10% of the population is enough to make for an interesting country.

As of today, I think it is the most influential country in the world. I also despise its role in international relations during the last sixty years, claiming to act in the name of justice and freedom but at the same time promoting and supporting military dictatorships and neo-colonialism. But americans aren't to blame (completely) for the bastards who run their country.

No other country in America (the continent) would ever call the United States by the name "America". We refuse to let them believe that our shared continent belongs exclusively to them. Well maybe Canada does, but I meant countries with character and soul.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,481,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I can, and I'm not talking about Finland specifically.
Omg do you have like any education? You are comparing apple to oranges.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Comparing poverty levels among countries is difficult, because a variety of factors are at play. The official number of poor in the United States in 2008 is about 39.1 million people, greater in number but not percentage than the officially poor in Indonesia, which has a far lower Human Development Index and the next largest population after the United States.[23][24] While the percentages appear the same, the actual income is not the same among both groups of people living below their nation's poverty levels.[25][26]

Understanding the many aspects, not of using but of comparing poverty definitions, can aid perception. Using the Human Poverty Index (HPI), or Human Development Index (HDI), may help global comparison in quality of living. Yet even when nations use the same method, some issues can remain.[27]
Finnish "poor" have much more than American poor.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
We have a huge variety of home styles in the USA, including single family homes built of stone.

PLEASE don't base your concept or opinion of the average US home (which would be a very difficult sort of item to generalize about) on a snippet from a Wiki article.
Just meant that the standard is higher here. You wouldn't believe how good insulation etc you have to have to get a permit.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:00 PM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
You know KathrynAragon, that I agree with you. It doesn't matter many statistics from what sources you provide---these people have made up their minds and they aren't going to change them. If they don't like the facts, they'll just claim they are falsified.

Quote:
The US is HUGE and has so many different regions, types of communities, demographics,etc
Exactly. It is ludicrous, really, to compare a huge and diverse country of 310+ million with a tiny homogeneous country under 20 million, say, the Netherlands, and talk about "averages." People here are cherry-picking the richest and most advanced areas of Europe to compare with the whole vast US. How about we add in all the other European countries (including Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, etc.) and then do the comparison? Will "Europe" still look so vastly superior?

Quote:
Your northeast Texas 200k$ house wouldn't pass any inspection in Europe. Houses are much more advanced here because of the stricter regulation.
Oh really. Houses are more advanced in Europe. As a whole. All houses. And how do you know what her house is like?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You know KathrynAragon, that I agree with you. It doesn't matter many statistics from what sources you provide---these people have made up their minds and they aren't going to change them. If they don't like the facts, they'll just claim they are falsified.

Exactly. It is ludicrous, really, to compare a huge and diverse country of 310+ million with a tiny homogeneous country under 20 million, say, the Netherlands, and talk about "averages." People here are cherry-picking the richest and most advanced areas of Europe to compare with the whole vast US. How about we add in all the other European countries (including Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, etc.) and then do the comparison? Will "Europe" still look so vastly superior?

Oh really. Houses are more advanced in Europe. As a whole. All houses. And how do you know what her house is like?
I was talking about the average. Trust me that regulation is very loose in America.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,165,615 times
Quote:
I was talking about the average. Trust me that regulation is very loose in America.
The regulations are dependent on location/jurisdiction, so you can't make a sweeping generalization about the entire country when there's not one set law. For example, Chicago is known for having strict building regulations in comparison to many other cities.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Mix of truth and fiction.

My two sons' in law support their families (three kids in one family, four in another) and their wives, who do not work outside the home, on one income. Neither of them makes an exorbitant amount of money - they are middle class but not at all wealthy - and both families have to make sacrifices for the mother to stay home.
Ok, before you respond, please keep in mind what I find myself repeatedly having to tell you; We do not live in the same region of the country which is specifically why I did not use the phrase "average American" that you just did. I simply said "people". You live in a state where the cost of living is lower. I have seen how what used to be in reach become completely out of reach for most people. Now I don't go around telling you that what you're saying is part fiction (because I can't possibly know that from over here) so please think before you post because you have no idea how things are in a place you don't live.

You seem to have this tendency to not just disagree which isn't a problem in itself, but you have the habit of taking it a step further and attempting to tell others about the reality they know. Now if you were to approach it with "where I am this isn't so much true etc." then it wouldn't seem as though you are arguing just for the sake of it because someone says something you don't understand/agree with which is what you look like most of the time.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Omg do you have like any education? You are comparing apple to oranges.

From Wikipedia:

Finnish "poor" have much more than American poor.

"Insults are the arguments of those in the wrong."

Now, because I believe that, I'm going to go easy on you, but I'll repeat myself - I haven't been discussing Finland specifically at all. I've been referring to the EU and/or western countries in general.

But since you've decided to resort to ridiculous insults, I guess we're done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World