Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually do know how things are in places where I don't live, because I have traveled to most regions of the US for business and pleasure repeatedly for decades, and I've lived in several regions of the US as well. And finally, I've worked extensively with employees and employers from all over the US for decades as well.

snip
You know, Kathryn, you come off in this thread – and in many others – as if you are the all-knowing guru that everyone should bow down to because you have lived in Europe and Asia, have lived and travelled ‘to most areas of the US for business and pleasure repeatedly for decades” and have worked in this, that and the other industry for 'years', ‘many years’ or ‘decades’ (depending on the post).

In fact, according to various of your other posts you have lived in Germany and Japan – which isn’t quite as all-encompassing as writing it as Europe and Asia. Your travelling to most areas of the US repeatedly may or may not be entirely true, but doesn’t take into account how things have changed during the ‘decades’ you were doing it.

And as for your having ‘worked extensively with employees and employers from all over the US for decades as well, I quote a post of yours from a year ago (sorry I don’t know how to link the post, but you’ll find it from the references given):

Post number 143, dated 13th December 2013 in the thread entitled “$8.00 hr employees being heard” in the Current Events forum.

"My first job was at Burger King. Over the 35 years that I worked mostly full time, I was, in no particular order:

1. Art therapist for the criminally insane at a maximum security mental hospital (1 year)
2. Realtor (five years)
3. Bank manager (three years)
4. Internet sales director for a television station (one year)
5. Corporate trainer for an international company (five years)
6. Sales manager for a staffing company (two years)
7. Interior decorator (three years)
8. Sales manager for an HR consulting company (three years)
9. Daycare worker (a few months)
10. Convenience store clerk (a few months)
11. Counter manager for Chanel (six months)
12. Fast food worker (summers during high school)
13. Retail store sales (college)

(I know this doesn't add up to 35 years by the way - I took a few years off to have kids and raise them till they got into school.)"

End of your post.

It seems your are prone to exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good lord, ok, last time then I'm done with you. Travelling someplace and living someplace are two completely different experiences. I don't know why you can't understand that. At any rate, I too have visited places and have worked with many different people from all over the US for decades as well. Doesn't mean I know what they know about day to day life in those places.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
You know, Kathryn, you come off in this thread – and in many others – as if you are the all-knowing guru that everyone should bow down to because you have lived in Europe and Asia, have lived and travelled ‘to most areas of the US for business and pleasure repeatedly for decades” and have worked in this, that and the other industry for 'years', ‘many years’ or ‘decades’ (depending on the post).

In fact, according to various of your other posts you have lived in Germany and Japan – which isn’t quite as all-encompassing as writing it as Europe and Asia. Your travelling to most areas of the US repeatedly may or may not be entirely true, but doesn’t take into account how things have changed during the ‘decades’ you were doing it.

And as for your having ‘worked extensively with employees and employers from all over the US for decades as well, I quote a post of yours from a year ago (sorry I don’t know how to link the post, but you’ll find it from the references given):

Post number 143, dated 13th December 2013 in the thread entitled “$8.00 hr employees being heard” in the Current Events forum.

"My first job was at Burger King. Over the 35 years that I worked mostly full time, I was, in no particular order:

1. Art therapist for the criminally insane at a maximum security mental hospital (1 year)
2. Realtor (five years)

(I know this doesn't add up to 35 years by the way - I took a few years off to have kids and raise them till they got into school.)"

End of your post.

Exactly!
Wow, I don't know whether to be flattered or weirded out by you digging up that post, but I stand by it 100 percent. And I also stand by every word I have ever written on this forum (and any other) 100 percent because I do not exaggerate or lie. I've had a very action packed and adventurous life.

What I did not include in the post about jobs (because it wasn't the point of the thread) is that as a corporate trainer, I traveled extensively throughout the US (every region but not of course, every state). I also did so as a sales manager (this was with the same international company). As the sales manager for the HR consulting company, my work took me to numerous states and cities throughout the south and southwest. So yes, for ten years I traveled a lot throughout the US on business, working closely with both employers and employees since my job was HR consulting related. I had the pleasure of meeting with many business owners as well as their staffs and employees. It was a lot of fun and very educational because I enjoyed the insight into so many different industries. I've done more interesting company tours than I can count (the most interesting one was a meat packing plant, but I digress).

The last five jobs on that list were part time jobs when I was in high school or college, or when my husband went back to school for one year and we were living on campus temporarily - so don't hold those against me!

And I started working when I was 15. I'm 52 years old now - for some perspective.

My husband's job takes him all over the US and we travel frequently together. I have lived in Germany (which as you know is centrally located in Europe) as well as Japan, and have enjoyed the privilege of traveling throughout Europe not only while I lived there for several years, but over and over again after returning to the US. I have also traveled to several Asian countries. My husband is the truly lucky one - he's traveled to over 40 countries, lived in at least three, and worked all over the world. I've only traveled to about 15 countries myself - maybe a few more but it's been awhile since I counted them up.

We generally treat ourselves to a vacation in a foreign country oh, about every three years. We went to England last year and I am hoping we get to go to China next year! But I may need to go visit my daughter and her family in Guam - I'm really missing them.

So - tell me again, how have I exaggerated anything? I mean, you threw the accusation out there so you may want to follow up on that, but personally I'd like to get back to the topic of the thread rather than turning this into some sort of personal argument. That being said, I don't take accusations of exaggeration (aka deception) all that lightly and felt the need to answer this particularly nasty-toned post of yours. But if you want to try to turn the conversation into personal insults, I am not going to play along.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-22-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:

So yes, let's please stop talking to each other. I'll start.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:

2. Realtor (five years)

End of your post.

Exactly!
Love it!!! For the future what you could do to link a specific post is click the post number next to the rep icon.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:

And by the way, I generally don't bring that stuff up unless traveling is the topic of the thread, or if some goober on a thread starts assuming I don't know much about travel, or a foreign country, or different industries, or that sort of thing (whatever it is that we're discussing on the thread) and suddenly feels the urge to challenge me on my position. Lots of people do lots of assuming on this forum, and you know what they say about people who assume!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 PM

It would be nice if we could get the thread back on topic, which is what people think of America, rather than dragging it down with personal attacks and accusations.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:40 PM

33 posts, read 43,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
And Argentina is such a moral intelligent Country?
Of course not, I never implied that in my comment. Argentina must also have around 10-15% intelligent people. Just like your country by the way, in which I have lived.
However, the rest of the population is not as ignorant as the american stereotype. Our countries, Argentina and the UK, have stupid people as well, but not in a homer simpson kind of way.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
Quote:
And by the way, I generally don't bring that stuff up unless traveling is the topic of the thread, or if some goober on a thread starts assuming I don't know much about travel, or a foreign country, or different industries, or that sort of thing (whatever it is that we're discussing on the thread) and suddenly feels the urge to challenge me on my position. Lots of people do lots of assuming on this forum, and you know what they say about people who assume!
I think the bolded relates to the point I'm trying to make - that your posts give the impression that you don't like people thinking you don't know much about (whatever) and, to combat that, you spout your 'qualifications' in as positive (or maybe exaggerated) a light as possible, so that readers will believe you rather than someone holding a different view.

I dunno, Kathryn - I mean no disrespect. You will see from my posting history that I am not given to snarkiness or aggressive posts. I'm just saying how you come across to me.

Sorry for taking things off topic. Carry on.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I think the bolded relates to the point I'm trying to make - that your posts give the impression that you don't like people thinking you don't know much about (whatever) and, to combat that, you spout your 'qualifications' in as positive (or maybe exaggerated) a light as possible, so that readers will believe you rather than someone holding a different view.

I dunno, Kathryn - I mean no disrespect. You will see from my posting history that I am not given to snarkiness or aggressive posts. I'm just saying how you come across to me.

Sorry for taking things off topic. Carry on.
Like I said - I have no need to exaggerate anything and therefore I don't do so. I probably can't do anything to prove to you that I don't exaggerate so you can make that accusation any time you feel like it, but if you check my posting history (which apparently you do), you'll see that my story never wavers - because it's the truth. I don't lie or exaggerate here or in real life and frankly I don't appreciate that accusation.

I also consistently back up my position with sources. I don't rely on personal anecdotes or experiences alone to form my own opinions, or to prove the point, and it bemuses me when others do so.

As for checking your posting history, thanks but no thanks. I don't have any burning curiosity about it and I rarely do that with anyone. It's just not my style.

I'll keep my opinion of you to myself, or if I feel I must address something about your character, I'll send you a private message.

I'd appreciate it if you did the same, but that's up to you.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:27 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Just wanted to make a comment about your statistics:

In America you just need more money and in average Americans work a lot more than people here. So it is not comparable. There you need much higher income to get to the same level of comfort than people here.

Unemployment rate of your country is just a big lie. In your system you get unemployment benefits only for a certain period of time correct? So people who don't find work during this time period are not listed as unemployed anymore. Contrary to my country where you keep searching until you hit 62 and get pension/retirement granted.

As you can see here Americans are actually running out of work:

Your job situation is actually as good as it was back in 70's when many women didn't even try to find work.
You are absolutely right, the credible sources like the US social security administration give a completely different picture than what most Americans claim here in the forums. The US unemployment rate is far higher and the percentage of Americans actually working is at its lowest since decades. This is a good one too: according to the US social security administration half of the country makes less than $27.520 per year. Most Americans are really working class poor.

In previous discussions I showed links to things that sometimes cost less than half here in Europe like groceries, rents, health-care, health-insurance, medicine, education, mobile phone plans, broadband internet, etc but some Americans keep on rambling on how 'everything is cheaper in the US'. It's like talking to a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World