Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,868,327 times

Advertisements

I'm from a foreign country...Belgium, yeah that's the ticket...Belgium, and to me America (the country not the continents) is just about the most dreamy place on the planet and if I was a woman country I'd want America to father all my children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM

911 posts, read 1,125,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Okay let's do that:

Homicide rate in Berlin: 1.8
Homicide rate in Los Angeles: 7.8

LA is 4.33 times more dangerous. What is your point?

And for the whole country of 85 million: 85bullets fired in a year German Police Used Only 85 Bullets Against People in 2011 - The Wire

So I think that America is extremely violent place(compared to the 1st world).
LA is a city that is 40% foreign born. These are working class/poor immigrants who have settled in LA because it's a big city and close to the border. Where there is poverty and racial tension, there is crime. It's is unfair to compare LA to a homogenous city where racial tensions and income inequality are not big issues.

You do realize that most 1st world countries are, for the most part, homogenous? Sure they have immigration, but their racial diversity is no where near to what is found in the United States. Please point to a first world country as big and racially diverse, with a huge immigrant population trying to assimilate with the rest of the country. There are over 60 million Latinos is the US alone, which is more than most first world countries. Critizing the U.S. for being violent, without understanding the cause of that violence is ignorant and condensing. Sure, European Countries and Cananda have tighter gun control, but a huge factor in their lower crime rates is the fact that there are homogenous countries with immigration levels no where near that of the U.S..

Old 11-27-2014, 01:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,191,740 times
I agree that the crime rate, and thus the policing, between a city like L.A. and other cities is going to be different, but taking a cop from the L.A.P.D. and showing him Mo i Rana is just absurd.

The greater Los Angeles metropolitan area has more than 3 times the entire population of Norway, has 224 identified languages, the 4th largest foreign born population in the world, and all of the poverty and discord that comes with that.

They should have brought a cop from a small town in Minnesota or Vermont. The police don't shoot much there either.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 PM

18,489 posts, read 15,363,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Okay let's do that:

Homicide rate in Berlin: 1.8
Homicide rate in Los Angeles: 7.8

LA is 4.33 times more dangerous. What is your point?

And for the whole country of 85 million: 85bullets fired in a year German Police Used Only 85 Bullets Against People in 2011 - The Wire

So I think that America is extremely violent place(compared to the 1st world).
My point is that they weren't doing that. The comparison is silly. It makes for good television ..or not, and it makes Finns feel good.

The US does have higher homicide rates than other 1st world countries, no one will argue that.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,567,447 times
Despite the gun culture, 21 min drinking age law, and Republican politicians wanting to go to war all the time, I personally think America is a great country! Got all the perks us Brits have, Freedom of Speech, Democracy, fatty foods (sometimes not a good thing though)... But it's better than Britain in the sense that it is big and one has an easy choose in what kinda climate they want to live in, e.g. You can live in Cold Chicago, Oceanic Seattle, or Sub-tropical/med like LA... It's full of things to see and do and, although I wouldn't want to live in the US because of it's crazy gun laws, I would defo like to visit the place, maybe for a year or something...

Old 11-30-2014, 08:59 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Despite the gun culture, 21 min drinking age law, and Republican politicians wanting to go to war all the time, I personally think America is a great country! Got all the perks us Brits have, Freedom of Speech, Democracy, fatty foods (sometimes not a good thing though)... But it's better than Britain in the sense that it is big and one has an easy choose in what kinda climate they want to live in, e.g. You can live in Cold Chicago, Oceanic Seattle, or Sub-tropical/med like LA... It's full of things to see and do and, although I wouldn't want to live in the US because of it's crazy gun laws, I would defo like to visit the place, maybe for a year or something...
I think the guns laws may be hyped up a bit for you guys. the majority of us don't live in constant fear of being shot as the very vast majority of us are not. Also, gun laws vary greatly by state. The only thing a state cannot do is ban gun ownership as that's a constitutional right but everything else about guns is regulated by states and states such as California have some of the strictest in the country.

Chicago's weather is bipolar. In winter, it can be as cold as some arctic places and in summer, it's hot and humid like the tropics. In spring and fall it can see wide temperature extremes varying as much as 50 degrees F or more all in one day.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,391,524 times
What is "gun culture"? lol

A gun is just a tool, a small object.... how can it have culture?

Next these people are going to be complaining about the screwdriver culture, smartphone culture and the pillow culture of America.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What is "gun culture"? lol

A gun is just a tool, a small object.... how can it have culture?

Next these people are going to be complaining about the screwdriver culture, smartphone culture and the pillow culture of America.
Please tell me that you'e being your usual facetious self and you don't actually need this to be explained to you? You are the only person I've seen who had to ask.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,968,192 times
i am from eastern europe...what i think:

positive:
emphasis on technology, making websites/apps etc.
speak an easy language with bearable accent
great nature
gay marriage legal
you can shoot intruder in your house without going to jail
watch sports a lot
nice movies

negative:
capital punishment
kill shelters
psychopaths/serial killers
eat trash
ford mustang
think mayweather can beat klitschko
call football "soccer"

^ kinda

Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,309,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
think mayweather can beat klitschko
As far as I remember you also thought that Pulew could beat Klitschko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World