Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
So that's why Walmart has a total revenue larger than the GDP of many countries, because there are so many poor people in the US. Besides California, I'd assume they have a strong presence in Detroit as well.
Walmart is not only in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I always agree with half of what you say then require treatment when I read the other half.
Require treatment?? Wow, I think that's a new one for me... I mean I know I can be a polarizing blowhard but yikes. Do tell!

Quote:
Anyway, I-5 does have choices along it's route. There are Safeway's and Albertson's which now owns Safeway. There are farmers markets and produce stands too.
Didn't know that Albertson's now owns Safeway; doesn't surprise me much tbh. It's the whole "over a lifetime, everyone's life expectancy drops to zero" syndrome, where even "friendly" chains are multibillion dollar conglomorates vying for one anothers' stake in the pie.

DAMN YOU, KROGER!!!

Anyways, yeah, I always made sure to buy produce from the various stands that belonged to farms along the I-5 when I drove between LA and SF, which was usually once if not twice a month. Good stuff. In LA, there were multiple farmers' markets to choose from, plus dozens of permanent places that stocked goods from local or nearby farms. I was never hurting for fresh produce.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Require treatment?? Wow, I think that's a new one for me... I mean I know I can be a polarizing blowhard but yikes. Do tell!

Didn't know that Albertson's now owns Safeway; doesn't surprise me much tbh. It's the whole "over a lifetime, everyone's life expectancy drops to zero" syndrome, where even "friendly" chains are multibillion dollar conglomorates vying for one anothers' stake in the pie.

DAMN YOU, KROGER!!!

Anyways, yeah, I always made sure to buy produce from the various stands that belonged to farms along the I-5 when I drove between LA and SF, which was usually once if not twice a month. Good stuff. In LA, there were multiple farmers' markets to choose from, plus dozens of permanent places that stocked goods from local or nearby farms. I was never hurting for fresh produce.
Because I can be very polarizing too. When too people like that disagree, it can cause mental problems

Yeah, Kroger owns just about everything now. They purchased the Safeway company which as you know includes Vons. While they own Ralphs, Albertson's, Food 4 Less, FoodsCo and QFC, Safeway stores, at least in CA will become Albertson's.

Anyway, yeah there are plenty of produce stands and farmers markets up and down the west coast. There are also meat stores where you can get fresh cuts and even make large meat orders. There are also bakeries around for the freshest breads which includes the non mass produced stuff containing high fructose corn syrup.

Maybe in some parts of the USA, good quality foods are hard to find but not on the west coast. Just another example of how varied the USA really is.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Walmart is not only in the USA.
They tried in Germany for a while but they failed and withdrew from the German market. Apparently unlike the US there are not enough poor people in Germany.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo View Post
let's flip this around:

American goes to country x; in the us i was always able to find..... they do. I hear it all the time.

why isn't______ like i can find in the us? there is usually a simple answer. It's not an offensive question.

in the us_________ simple taste better imo than in does in country x again i don't find that offensive.

i found my choices in country x more limited than in the us all choices are limited in every country. What we are discussing in this thread is specifically what foreigners, like myself, think of the us in terms of what choices we have compared to finding the same in the us. It's not like i go around ranting to people in the us when i travel about what i can and can not get.

when americans do this on these forums, the criticism goes on for pages and pages and rightly so. Now some of you are doing the exact same thing in this thread. Why is it ok?

we are just answering the op's question....

Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
So that's why Walmart has a total revenue larger than the GDP of many countries, because there are so many poor people in the US. Besides California, I'd assume they have a strong presence in Detroit as well.
I'm not sure what you're getting at but one reason Wal-Mart does so well is because they do strategically place their stores in areas where certain demographics predominate. OR they put them in areas where the local stores are present and cannot compete with this giant. It ends up in many cases where Wal-Mart becomes the only choice in a given area and since many poorer people don't have the means to travel longer distances to shop, they go to Wal-Mart, both for the prices and convenience as competition is eliminated. There are a great many communities across America that are steadfast against Wal-Mart opening stores. Whether you like Wal-Mart or not, it has earned itself a bad reputation.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
But all she did was point out that she avoids certain types of food items with additives that are not regulated in the USA for health reasons. I knew about the milk, but actually not the bread. Interesting.

But to be fair, Canada's cheese selection in general also sucks compared to Europe. I haven't even been to France, which is known for cheese, but Spain, Germany, and I think the Netherlands had fantastic choices and quality. Here cheese is not fake or anything usually, but it is very boring and mass produced cheddars and mozarellas in bizarrely elongated rectangular packages. If you want anything more than that it quickly becomes really unaffordable to buy it regularly.
I agree, compared to Europe. The difference between Canada and the US in regards to cheese is how much more processed cheese there seems to be in US stores. There is crap in Canada too, but in your average store in Canada I find more choice.

Again THIS IS NOT SAYING you can't find stores in the US that have a fantastic selection.

As for costs, in an earlier post, I mentioned that for imported good quality cheese the price in Vancouver seems to be much the same as we found in Oregon and SoCal.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You really aren't getting it are you?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You really aren't getting it are you?
Maybe you're not being clear on your point. Try again.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-16-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I always agree with half of what you say then require treatment when I read the other half.

Anyway, I-5 does have choices along it's route. There are Safeway's and Albertson's which now owns Safeway. There are farmers markets and produce stands too.
We actually did stop at grocery stores and bought sandwiches for lunch. Some better than others.

As for Farmers Markets, most don't serve lunch, plus you have to be there on the day they are open and when you are on the road, you don't have too much of choice of where you are when it's time to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World