Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,506,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
No one eats it seriously.

Shouldn't you be posting on the psychology forum instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,516,443 times
I'm a marmighty.

Vegemite is alright, if there's no marmite.

Promite is okay as well.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM

872 posts, read 1,380,523 times
Marmite is an acquired taste. A bit like Kimchi. Many can't stand it, those who do like it often adore it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 PM

834 posts, read 1,242,797 times
Ok, let me rephrase the question slightly: Why has Marmite (or a variant thereof) been less popular in Canada through the decades than in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or the United Kingdom - because (Anglo) Canada has been under American influence more than British influence (notwithstanding Canadian political institutions having a British imprimatur), or because Prohibition was more active in at least parts of Canada in the early 20th century than in those four other countries (though less than the United States), or both?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,048,477 times
^ I don't know but every time I see this thread, the vegemite song comes into my head

Vegemite - Australian TV commercial - YouTube

Old 11-19-2014, 01:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,733,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Ok, let me rephrase the question slightly: Why has Marmite (or a variant thereof) been less popular in Canada through the decades than in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or the United Kingdom - because (Anglo) Canada has been under American influence more than British influence (notwithstanding Canadian political institutions having a British imprimatur), or because Prohibition was more active in at least parts of Canada in the early 20th century than in those four other countries (though less than the United States), or both?
This is how I see it.

Firstly, some here seem to be overplay just how popular Vegemite is in Australia. Some love it and embrace it as a national food, others are totally indifferent to, and many loathe it and view it simply as a vitamin B supplement to spread on kid’s lunches or on toast after a night spent drinking a few too many.

Obviously prohibition the US killed off any similar products there, likewise prohibition in Canada would have severely curtailed their take up. Once prohibition was over, brewers in the US and Canada probably found more lucrative markets for their by-products.

As for the US v UK thing, I think that’s a false premise. Canada, particularly English speaking Canada, is just as “British influenced” as Aus, NZ or SA. Where it differs is in the degree and proximity of US influence. In some ways Australia is more US influenced than Canada, in some easy markedly less, and in others the same. But for Australia or NZ there is no single country that is as influential as the US is for Canada. I think that’s why a lot of Canadians' efforts to distinguish themselves from the US is so noticeable to many Aussies, Kiwi’s and others. it kind of “huh…OK… I kinda new I wasn't in the US, but.......”

Last edited by Richard1098; 11-19-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 04:36 PM

834 posts, read 1,242,797 times
Maybe yet another reason why Marmite or related yeast extracts isn't as popular in Canada and the US as in the other major anglophone countries is because maple syrup (which is a whole lot sweeter and comes from the sugar maple, native to North America), along with peanut butter, is popular instead?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,377,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
This is how I see it.

Firstly, some here seem to be overplay just how popular Vegemite is in Australia. Some love it and embrace it as a national food, others are totally indifferent to, and many loathe it and view it simply as a vitamin B supplement to spread on kid’s lunches or on toast after a night spent drinking a few too many.

Obviously prohibition the US killed off any similar products there, likewise prohibition in Canada would have severely curtailed their take up. Once prohibition was over, brewers in the US and Canada probably found more lucrative markets for their by-products.

As for the US v UK thing, I think that’s a false premise. Canada, particularly English speaking Canada, is just as “British influenced” as Aus, NZ or SA. Where it differs is in the degree and proximity of US influence. In some ways Australia is more US influenced than Canada, in some easy markedly less, and in others the same. But for Australia or NZ there is no single country that is as influential as the US is for Canada. I think that’s why a lot of Canadians' efforts to distinguish themselves from the US is so noticeable to many Aussies, Kiwi’s and others. it kind of “huh…OK… I kinda new I wasn't in the US, but.......”
As per my earlier, post...this would be true IF Vegemite and Marmite were made in Canada and not imported from the U.K.

I can't find anything on this? Do you have any information that it was manufactured in Canada or perhaps made in the US and imported via that country??

Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,826,200 times
The US can not be included as an anglo nation eclipsed by the british culture, America is too diverse with a very distinctive culture to simply be called anglo-saxxon

britain is a deluded old colonial power who wishes they could make American join its commonwealth and have its queen printed on US dollars.... the reality is America is like china, brazil, russia... one of those countries that are their own thing and cannot really be compared to any other place!!!

as a result British stuff is virtually unknown in the US, Canada is also eclipsed by the US and its influence

Marmite, vegemite etc is an anglo aussie thing

Old 11-20-2014, 02:16 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,192,469 times
How is it virtually unknown when the supermarkets have a British section???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World