Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Whatever vegemite is, my mom has a tube of it in the pantry at all times. I don't know what she puts it in, but seeing as we picked up more today shopping I'm sure I'm eating it in one way or another.

And what does marmite taste like? I imagine it to taste like beer if you turned it in to dijon mustard consistency...
Sounds like my mother, and me. Marmite and vegemite are basically the same thing, extremely intensely salty with a slightly beefy, yeasty taste to it. I've been eating Marmite for 60 years, an acquired taste learned from my mother who emigrated from England to Canada right after WW2. I use it on toast and will add it to buttery basting sauces for flavouring and browning on roasts, or in certain other savoury meals that I'm cooking, or I'll use it to beef up the flavour of gravies or meaty soups and stews. When I was little I often used to enjoy licking it straight off a spoon, I still do that occassionally now if I have a strong craving for salt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,677,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hint: You've seen a British AISLE in Florida, a state where LOTS of Brits live in. In places where Brits are very few in number, (i.e. in 95% of the USA), there is no "British AISLE".

Isle = an island
Aisle = a walkway between two rows of seats or shelves
Here's a good store in Florida: Willy's Products Scandinavian Food Store | Scandinavian Foods | Norwegian Food Specialties | Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and Finnish Food Distributor | Shop Norwegian Tradional Foods, Fenalaar, Pinnekjott, Nokkelost, Fiskeboller, Norwegian Smoked Salm They ship to PA, so try the Willy's gravlaks.

What's even in a British isle, I mean aisle? Haggis? Basset's wine gums? Microwave Sunday roast?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
How is it virtually unknown when the supermarkets have a British section???
For once we agree.

Not only that - I was in the grocery store just the other day, and Vegemite and Marmite were just in the regular section, where the spreads and jellies and that sort of thing were. Not that I've ever ONCE seen any in an American home but apparently someone's buying the stuff.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
where? I have yet to see a regular supermarket in the US with a british aisle selling british items, stop trying to be relevant, your island is "passe", and while you obsess in having a special relationship with America and secretly wish you were part of America, most Americans could care less about your country.

you're more into the US, than the US is into you!!!!
Summerwhale is not so off target here. There isn't a "British section" in my local grocery store (in a town of 100,000 in east Texas), because there's no need for one - British stuff (and other European stuff) is scattered about throughout the store. Marmite, Vegemite, clotted cream, Irish butter, Belgian chocolate, cookies from the Netherlands and the UK and Germany...etc etc etc.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Because of the ignorance in the US as to British influence. Everything British is simply called "Irish". Go to the Irish section of a supermarket in America - a good half of it is British brands. A full English breakfast is called a full Irish breakfast. And anything Scottish, is also though to be Irish. Not that all this matters. But ignorance abounds.

And look at "irene-CD" - no idea that the US Bill of Rights is based on the British version including the Magna Carta origin, no idea that the bicameral legislature is based on the British version, no idea that the common law system in the majority of US states is based on British law (Louisiana with its Napoleonic code based system of course is different). I could go on, British imperial weights and distances system etc. And of course - speaking English. Look at the old Ivy Leagues -such as Harvard (based on Cambridge and Oxford, including multiple wholesale adoptions of what was in place there).
But people are immune to facts - they have their beliefs and disregard anything that contravenes that. Especially when it comes to a country they hate for whatever reasons.

People get all wound up about nationality as though its important tho. Jeeze its just yeast spread.
What?????? I have never seen an "Irish section" in any supermarket in the US. I have never heard a "full English breakfast" called a "full Irish Breakfast." We call them a "full English breakfast" here.

I don't know where you live or where you're getting these ideas but everywhere I've lived in the US has a pretty high interest in the UK - the royal family, the BBC, British writers, British music, etc. Our local supermarkets carry British food - English teas, English "biscuits," clotted cream, etc. They're not marketed as "Irish" and I've never known anyone to refer to them as that. The Irish butter that my grocery store carries IS from Ireland.

Lots of Americans do get a kick out of St Patrick's Day though.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What?????? I have never seen an "Irish section" in any supermarket in the US. I have never heard a "full English breakfast" called a "full Irish Breakfast." We call them a "full English breakfast" here.

I don't know where you live or where you're getting these ideas but everywhere I've lived in the US has a pretty high interest in the UK - the royal family, the BBC, British writers, British music, etc. Our local supermarkets carry British food - English teas, English "biscuits," clotted cream, etc. They're not marketed as "Irish" and I've never known anyone to refer to them as that. The Irish butter that my grocery store carries IS from Ireland.

Lots of Americans do get a kick out of St Patrick's Day though.
Perhaps they would also be surprised at how many British/UK shows are shown on PBS.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,192,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Here's a good store in Florida: Willy's Products Scandinavian Food Store | Scandinavian Foods | Norwegian Food Specialties | Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and Finnish Food Distributor | Shop Norwegian Tradional Foods, Fenalaar, Pinnekjott, Nokkelost, Fiskeboller, Norwegian Smoked Salm They ship to PA, so try the Willy's gravlaks.

What's even in a British isle, I mean aisle? Haggis? Basset's wine gums? Microwave Sunday roast?
Robinsons juice, HP sauce, Heinz ketchup, foxes biscuits stuff like that etc.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,192,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Summerwhale is not so off target here. There isn't a "British section" in my local grocery store (in a town of 100,000 in east Texas), because there's no need for one - British stuff (and other European stuff) is scattered about throughout the store. Marmite, Vegemite, clotted cream, Irish butter, Belgian chocolate, cookies from the Netherlands and the UK and Germany...etc etc etc.
I don't feel like American food is that different anyway so theres not really a need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World