Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM

35 posts, read 33,668 times

Advertisements

I know about Scandinavia, but it's really difficult for immigrants to get to those places.

That's why I was wondering, is the American dream still alive anywhere in the world?

You guys know what I'm talking about.

I was raised to really believe in the American dream. That if I worked hard I should be able to make a respectable life for myself and raise a family. I bought into it.

Now I want to pursue it.

I realize America still has it better than a lot of places. That's not the question.

I realize a lot of people might consider me petulant for not just being happy to live in a 1st world country. I don't think those people can understand without having been raised in my surroundings, so I'm forgiving them ahead of time.

But is there any country a regular guy can move to and still (to this day) be able to pursue this fabled American dream?

Or is it a case of "if you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,116,017 times
The first one that comes to my mind is Russia. Many people in my country believe they can be more successful in Russia. For example, there is a music group Gorod 312 from Bishkek that became one of the most famous in Russia.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 9,269 times
It's fading fast. More Americans than ever are moving abroad and seeing first hand that the U.S. isn't the end all and be all of the world... Like with any other "world power" in history, it's only a matter of time before people come to their senses and realize that supremacy is a myth.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM

327 posts, read 566,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHardToHideIt View Post
It's fading fast. More Americans than ever are moving abroad and seeing first hand that the U.S. isn't the end all and be all of the world... Like with any other "world power" in history, it's only a matter of time before people come to their senses and realize that supremacy is a myth.
We're talking about the American dream. The immigration flows massively go the other way - into the U.S. In my neighborhood we have people from India, Spain Korea, China, and that's just my small neighborhood. In my kids' school, children from over 70 countries are represented.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHardToHideIt View Post
Do you have any evidence of this or are you lying?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 9,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
We're talking about the American dream. The immigration flows massively go the other way - into the U.S. In my neighborhood we have people from India, Spain Korea, China, and that's just my small neighborhood. In my kids' school, children from over 70 countries are represented.
Largely because of how the U.S. promotes itself, is the reason some people think they want to move here. The U.S. is good for one thing and that is making money, other than that it completely blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you have any evidence of this or are you lying?
Look under statistics. Emigration from the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a look at this as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3M6myYhI9I

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 AM

27,334 posts, read 28,403,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLostPuppy View Post
But is there any country a regular guy can move to and still (to this day) be able to pursue this fabled American dream?
The United States has the most self-made millionaires of any other country in the world.

So there you go.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 PM

35 posts, read 33,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The United States has the most self-made millionaires of any other country in the world.

So there you go.
I'm not aiming for millionaire status.
I'm aiming for normal respectable guy status.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,194,040 times
I want to live there but I don't need to. I am not poor or unfortunate.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 PM

818 posts, read 854,700 times
Maybe in New Zealand?

Really, i have never heard anything bad from there, and they have a lifestyle similar to America in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World