Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Continents where it is Bigger
Europe 13 34.21%
The Americas (including the U.S.) 12 31.58%
Asia 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,114,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
...Why isn't there an "Anti-America" sticky already? I swear. Every other day this question is asked. Oddly by Americans for the most part. It's just asking for trouble and hurt feelings.
Judging from the number of threads, plus random individual comments on C-D made by Americans, this topic amounts to a virtual obsession on the part of Americans themselves.

I've lived in Europe for fifteen years amongst a variety of nationalities, and liking or not liking the United States is not a major topic of discussion, in fact, it is a rare topic. The Europeans I have met by the thousands at this point are not preoccupied with thoughts about the U.S.

Having grown up in the reasonably self-confident U.S. of pre-1980, I find this a disturbing change in the American psyche. The past thirty years have seen vast changes in the world - the entire world, and these have impacted, often negatively, upon the U.S.; and, of course, there have been numerous domestic difficulties during these decades as well. America's place in the world is not what it was forty or fifty years ago, but it is a different world. I wonder if some of this perceived "anti-Americanism" isn't Americans' self-doubt projected onto the other guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,695,670 times
Finland is a small and insignificant country on the fringe of Europe, and we are totally obsessed with how other nations view us, especially the big players in Europe; Germany, UK, France and Italy. We are also obsessed with trying to beat our neighbours Sweden and Norway in anything, and losing to these hurts more than to anybody else. Sweden is the country we copy, and Denmark is the country we want to become. Russia is the country we don't understand and don't want to become. Estonia is finally someone we can feel superior towards, and Poland is someone we want to get melancholic being drunk at 5am. Spain is something we love, but far away and not really that important.

America? Not on our daily radar. Everybody has an opinion of the US, but few have ever been there. In daily conversations, hardly anyone speaks about it. If the Italian PM bashes our food it's a national crisis, but if George Bush the elder is the last president of the US who visited Finland, no big deal.

Anti-Americanism is very rare except for commies, pacifists, russophiles and other hippies. Due to popular culture America is all around us, but people seldom have strong opinons one way or the other.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 AM

10,622 posts, read 15,944,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You didn't have the most obvious place...the Middle East by a long shot. Of your choices, I voted Europe and I've worked in Asia, South America, and Europe as well as the Middle East.
the Near East or as you like to call the "Middle East" is located in Asia

Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,481,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland is a small and insignificant country on the fringe of Europe, and we are totally obsessed with how other nations view us, especially the big players in Europe; Germany, UK, France and Italy. We are also obsessed with trying to beat our neighbours Sweden and Norway in anything, and losing to these hurts more than to anybody else. Sweden is the country we copy, and Denmark is the country we want to become. Russia is the country we don't understand and don't want to become. Estonia is finally someone we can feel superior towards, and Poland is someone we want to get melancholic being drunk at 5am. Spain is something we love, but far away and not really that important.

America? Not on our daily radar. Everybody has an opinion of the US, but few have ever been there. In daily conversations, hardly anyone speaks about it. If the Italian PM bashes our food it's a national crisis, but if George Bush the elder is the last president of the US who visited Finland, no big deal.

Anti-Americanism is very rare except for commies, pacifists, russophiles and other hippies. Due to popular culture America is all around us, but people seldom have strong opinons one way or the other.
I don't know about this. It is mentioned every single day in the news and I know several people who have visited America

Actually their president visiting Finland is a big deal because it is used as a sign of good or bad relations. And finnish politicians constantly try to get an invitation to the white house.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,695,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I don't know about this. It is mentioned every single day in the news and I know several people who have visited America

Actually their president visiting Finland is a big deal because it is used as a sign of good or bad relations. And finnish politicians constantly try to get an invitation to the white house.
Of course it is mentioned, as the US is the biggest player out there. But if they ignore us, it's just another day at the office. If Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden would ignore and badmouth us, the suicide numbers would double and it would be a national disaster in the tabloids.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course it is mentioned, as the US is the biggest player out there. But if they ignore us, it's just another day at the office. If Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden would ignore and badmouth us, the suicide numbers would double and it would be a national disaster in the tabloids.
Maybe that way yes. But if they would stop ignoring then it would be even bigger.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,700,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I would say fellow some US citizens are the most anti American I have met personally.

Your list is pretty stereotypical and ridiculous. Most of what you said isn't remotely true...

Heard of Roe V Wade? We have abortion.
Cactus cutting, what are you talking about?
Every state allows gay dating....
Education could use improvement, but the US is the most popular education destination in the world and we are famous for our universities.
Police corruption and brutality are very rare, that's why it makes the news, if it was common place single events across the nation wouldn't get months of coverage.
Christians read Harry Potter like everyone else, don't throw all Christianity together because a few hundred think it's from satan... But yes Christianity it is a force, just like in Europe, S America, and Africa.
Racism exists some, but considering where the US was 60 years ago we have come a long ways.

You just need to accept that the US isn't that different from other places in the world, we have our qualities and faults like anyone.
Forget cactus cutting I don't know what was I thinking but anyways
Yo got a good point and if we start educating people around the country it could improve even better.
Ps.i know grammar I just love saying more bigger or stuff like that.jaja you made me laugh when you said stereotypical and ridiculous but seriously some of it is true.alright I will challenge myself to handle lifestyle in the us.especially the prudishness and homophobicness

Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,591,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I will challenge myself to handle lifestyle in the us.especially the prudishness and homophobicness
Dude, are you sure you're even Mexican? Have you ever been to Mexico? Hint: it's a lot more homophobic than the US.

Or compare abortion rights between Mexico and the US. Your posts make zero sense.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,700,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Dude, are you sure you're even Mexican? Have you ever been to Mexico? Hint: it's a lot more homophobic than the US.

Or compare abortion rights between Mexico and the US. Your posts make zero sense.
Is cause I lived most of my life in the us

Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Is cause I lived most of my life in the us
BTW do you even have a permit to live there? I'm sure things can look different if you are living unlawfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World