Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,659,149 times

Advertisements

I started to think about this thing how people percieve safety. Taking to the extremes, is a safe neighbourhood for you a place you know every neighbour or a one you don't get shot every time you walk outside?

What are the factors which are included in a 'safe' neighbourhood? Knowing people, cleanliless, children, attitude of the people, gang culture, the level of drug and alcohol addiction, police presence?

What do you percieve as a 'dangerous' neighbourhood? A high level of crime is a given, but what else? Is a poor area by definition dangerous, are highrises dangerous, are inner cities/suburbs dangerous? Do you feel some low-crime hoods are dangerous?

And how much of danger and crime can you take living in that area? Are or would you be bothered if a person is mugged or even killed on your street? If you live in an area with high crime relative to your country, are you ok with it?

And finally, if living in a dangerous neighbourhood, with how much crime could you cope with just standing next to it? Child prostitutes, drug mafia, hitmen, asymmetric civil war, when is the time to rat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,694,582 times
Crime unsafe
Un crimed safe

Old 11-23-2014, 01:45 PM

14,201 posts, read 11,453,174 times
Safe neighborhood = I know most of the close neighbors; my children can play outside alone; as a woman, I can walk alone any direction during the day or night without worry about personal safety.

I feel very fortunate to live in such a neighborhood. I would not be happy or comfortable living with any amount of the crime the OP describes.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:14 PM

27,261 posts, read 28,327,256 times
Safe = crime level as close to 0 as possible

In the United States, that usually means upscale suburbs and neighborhoods in large metro areas.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,990,517 times
A safe neighborhood is one where there is a very low crime rate and one feels safe walking around in the area even late at night.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,114,275 times
Safe - to live in the city. You just must know the places you should to avoid.
Unsafe - to live in a suburb. The night time is not a good time for a walk.

For me safety is a place where you won't be killed, robbed or hitted by a car.

Last edited by Atai J.; 11-23-2014 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,456,548 times
Unsafe neighbourhood has higher crime
Safe neighbourhood has lower crime

Unsafe is relative, because I don't feel unsafe anywhere.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:53 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,493,315 times
I consider any street with gang houses, as unsafe.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:53 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Safe neighborhood = I know most of the close neighbors; my children can play outside alone; as a woman, I can walk alone any direction during the day or night without worry about personal safety.

I feel very fortunate to live in such a neighborhood. I would not be happy or comfortable living with any amount of the crime the OP describes.
Ditto.

I like that I could probably forget to lock my doors and be gone two weeks - and come back to find that nothing had been disturbed.

Like you, I have absolutely zero concerns about walking anywhere, at any time of the day or night, in my neighborhood. At any given time up till dark, I can look out my windows and see children playing happily outside - riding their bikes, or their scooters, etc - families walking together, couples or singles walking their dogs. If I'm outside working in the yard, it's very common for a neighbor or two to stop and talk a bit. I might even ask them in for coffee and they might take me up on it - even if we've only met in passing before.

To me - that's a safe neighborhood, and it's a great blessing to live in such a place.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,659,149 times
I would say that an important factor in percieved safety is a neighbourhood that I'm familiar with. I know where the dark alleys are, where the streets go, and what usually goes on on the sidewalks. So a more rugged neighbourhood feels safe to me than a safer neighbourhood I'm not familiar with. Would you agree?

The other important factor is lighting. A dark area is by definition more unpredictable than a well-lit one, obviously. Third, I feel much safer biking than on foot. As there's not a gun problem here, with a bike I can outrun any maniac who might do harm.

The neighbourhood I currently live in is very safe. Well, not "no need to lock your door" safe, but you know what I mean. Though it's generally a lower middle-class hood there's not much to do here. There's no nightclubs or places of interest, just some stores, a couple of restaurants and pubs, so there's really no reason for people to come to my corners. There might be some occational vandalism on weekends and rowdy behaviour, but that doesn't concern me.

The most safe neighbourhood I've lived in was in Helsinki, as one of the main police stations were just a stone throw away. You technically saw more cop cars than normal ones. Generally, a very good aspect of Finland is that the little gang culture we have is not in any sense territorial, so there's no problem with "our" or "your" areas, and the hooligans are teenagers mostly bothering other teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World